Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

141 - 160 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Ok, I am assuming this is still a thread about angle drive noise or A.K.A. unknown rear noise. I just put new tires, Toyo R1R's, onto stock rims and I am now noticing a clicking or clunking noise coming from the rear. It seems like it only does it when there is a load on the belt , because with it not running and in neutral, we can push it and it does not make noise. We can be in the bike, in gear and the bike makes the noise about every turn of the rear tire? Any body else notice this? I got out and looked under and in the area of the rear tire and gears but did not see any evidence of rubbing or a foreign object but you never know. Anybody else heard of or is having this issue?
I noticed this the last few times I had it out. Someone had posted that the axle nut gets loose and starts making a clicking noise.
Mine did not do this till after they did my first service last Tuesday. The whine was just about gone before the service as well, but after they tightened the belt the whine got louder again.

I bet Alphas chain drive will be very revealing about just what the source of all the noises are.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Oh, I did just have my 500 mile service done as well last week, I will check the axle nut, did not think of that, Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Went to local Bike night tonight and first time I did a fairly decent ride without a helmet and music. Damn, it whines more than John Mcenroe losing a match!! From the old hot rot days when we used to swap ring and pinion gears, if you did a poor job tracking (getting the pinion and ring to line up perfectly), this is kinda what it sounded like. That may be why we're seeing so much sludge on the magnetic plug.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Went to local Bike night tonight and first time I did a fairly decent ride without a helmet and music. Damn, it whines more than John Mcenroe losing a match!! From the old hot rot days when we used to swap ring and pinion gears, if you did a poor job tracking (getting the pinion and ring to line up perfectly), this is kinda what it sounded like. That may be why we're seeing so much sludge on the magnetic plug.
I believe you may be right. I've been somewhat in denial. I so much want to like this thing. No way you can have any kind of conversation in it. And I don't mean donking around town cruising up and down the strip like they did in American Grafitti, I'm talking at speed, 60 to 70 mph.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just noticed tonight a clicking or clunking noise coming from what sounded like the read end or swing arm whenever it got under a load, like taking off from a red light.
I haven't had a chance to look at it since i parked it, but i want to get someone to watch and listen while i go from reverse to first, letting the clutch out a little to put some pressure and see if they see anything move.
I will let everyone know what i find out as soon as i can find a body to watch.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I wonder if the drive belt stretch relieves some tension on the angle drive output shaft lowering the noise level. That speculation would imply the output shaft bearings may be heavily loaded to start with and then under acceleration the load on the bearings may too great? Maybe metal fines in the oil is not primarily from the gear set?

I am still not sure all the noise is from the angle drive, it may simply be from the belt.
I took a run out hwy 40 this morning and it was quite warm on the way back. Got 3 hours in at highway speed and only heard a high pitch wistle, but it was not loud at speed. I only hear the whine noise in 2nd and 3rd and it has not really gotten any better since day 1. I am at 2100 miles now running Royal Purple 75w140 in the angle drive (take that Polaris) and the angle drive seems the same as it was when new. I will dump that oil in another 1000 miles or so and inspect for fines again. If I see alot, I know there is a problem.

I believe fixmytoys lists a new angle drive for $1500. So not the end of the world. If anyone has done further testing on isolating the noise or on metal fines in the angle drive please post.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I wonder if the drive belt stretch relieves some tension on the angle drive output shaft lowering the noise level. That speculation would imply the output shaft bearings may be heavily loaded to start with and then under acceleration the load on the bearings may too great? Maybe metal fines in the oil is not primarily from the gear set?

I am still not sure all the noise is from the angle drive, it may simply be from the belt.
I took a run out hwy 40 this morning and it was quite warm on the way back. Got 3 hours in at highway speed and only heard a high pitch wistle, but it was not loud at speed. I only hear the whine noise in 2nd and 3rd and it has not really gotten any better since day 1. I am at 2100 miles now running Royal Purple 75w140 in the angle drive (take that Polaris) and the angle drive seems the same as it was when new. I will dump that oil in another 1000 miles or so and inspect for fines again. If I see alot, I know there is a problem.

I believe fixmytoys lists a new angle drive for $1500. So not the end of the world. If anyone has done further testing on isolating the noise or on metal fines in the angle drive please post.
I suspect you may be right.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Following this angle drive noise issue for some time now, I've been quite concerned, as a life long auto/motorcycle tech. My SS arrived 2/11 and hasn't been driven yet, as there is still two feet of snow up here. Looking at the parts breakdown of this drive I see that Polaris has made no provision for ring to pinion clearance adjustment, an extremely critical adjustment necessary for long life and, yes, noise. Though there are shims in place on the ring gear shaft, there is no way to measure ring/pinion clearance (backlash) without removing the cover, which is also the bearing support, hence releasing any bearing preload, rendering measurement impossible. To make matters worse, there is also no provision for setting pinion depth, another critical adjustment for wear, life expectancy and noise. It seems Polaris has once again taken the cheap way out with this gear set, destining us all to premature failure of this unit and excessive noise.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Following this angle drive noise issue for some time now, I've been quite concerned, as a life long auto/motorcycle tech. My SS arrived 2/11 and hasn't been driven yet, as there is still two feet of snow up here. Looking at the parts breakdown of this drive I see that Polaris has made no provision for ring to pinion clearance adjustment, an extremely critical adjustment necessary for long life and, yes, noise. Though there are shims in place on the ring gear shaft, there is no way to measure ring/pinion clearance (backlash) without removing the cover, which is also the bearing support, hence releasing any bearing preload, rendering measurement impossible. To make matters worse, there is also no provision for setting pinion depth, another critical adjustment for wear, life expectancy and noise. It seems Polaris has once again taken the cheap way out with this gear set, destining us all to premature failure of this unit and excessive noise.
I wondered about that, but didn't have a clue. I guess that about sums it up. We bought the equivalent of the Bic lighter of streetable Atvs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well.....That's no drop in the bucket for me.
Slingking - yes correct, it is a lot of money and labor on top to fix something that may become a problem. I agree - I would not want to have to shell that out either. In fact I am holding off on lots of upgrades because that will likely get more "competitive" in the coming months.

Anyway:
I made a stop looking for the Alpha power sports chain drive machine posted under the Daytona Bike Week Unveiling thread. Could not find them - packing up shop here yesterday. I wanted to find out more about the rear suspension and how it affected ride and noise level. I did have a chance to talk to a mechanic working on the SS. He told me the noise I was describing is coming from the belt engaging with the primary drive belt sprocket on the output shaft of the angle drive (so they are convinced). That primary belt drive sprocket is right under the passenger seat. There is a water drain hole near that area and the noise comes right up through making it very audible. The mechanics (two of them were in the room) said they hear it on all the SS some a little worse than others. The degree of noise may be affected by belt tension and it appears that a slightly looser belt may be somewhat quieter. However please don't anyone go loosening their drive belts to try to reduce the noise as that may do other damage! Just letting you know what I am hearing and this is based on conversation, experience, speculation etc.. And yes this is antidotal comments and not tested evidence so don't make adjustments based on this information. I will be leaving my SS alone and keeping an eye on the belt condition and tension. - If it gets out of spec I will let the dealer do the first adjustment so they can check everything out.

What I do know for sure:
- At 2100 miles my drive belt has not be readjusted from factory
- The belt deflection under a 10lbs tester is 13 mm in a stable garage temperature several hours just sitting
- The noise I hear is about the same as new - but noise level is very subjective to the ear
- Despite the initial high level of metal fines found in the angle drive oil - no issue with the angle drive and no visible damage on the belt.
- I do not drive the machine hard - I get on it a little off the start and have had it up to "full highway speed" several times. For example I have not tried 0-60 full throttle runs nor done any burnouts so the system in my SL has seen fairly normal loads (just saying to qualify the information)
- Mechanics don't have any apparent concern and say if you have a concern about any noise coming from the bike let the dealer take a look.

So based on this and all the prior oil changes on the angle drive, I will just live with it and enjoy the machine. If some new information does come up that is helpful I will post it.

The folks I spoke to hinted that Polaris is coming out with some "refinements" and "accessories" but it is all hush right now. I personally suspect that things like better drive belt, sprocket set, better tires etc. may become available in the future and we will be able to upgrade or change out with future paid maintenance. Best part of this is Polaris is a large company with a commitment to making Slingshot program a success. I believe things will get better and better and Polaris will offer upgrade options for early adopters. At least that is what I want to believe.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm debating if I should change the Angle drive fluid.. To many conflicting opinions on the forum... Manual states 50k miles, some forum members suggest between 500 and 1000 miles due to metal particles that may be there due to the break in. Can I maybe get a vote on what people are doing?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm debating if I should change the Angle drive fluid.. To many conflicting opinions on the forum... Manual states 50k miles, some forum members suggest between 500 and 1000 miles due to metal particles that may be there due to the break in. Can I maybe get a vote on what people are doing?
Change it, dirt and metallic particles vs cleaner is no contest. If the metal is because the ring and pinion have improper lash it will keep making metal anyway and the plug will only attract so much. Simple procedure, don't have to jack up. Just drain from lower plug (clean it) and then fill from side.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Slayer, I have a gut feeling that the response below from Andymo is probably spot on from what I have seen/heard. I have been and am still am of the OPINION (and THAT is all it is) that these are probably Chinese made Right Angle Drives (SPECULATION ON MY PART) as that is about the only thing that makes sense if you carefully read what Andymo has written (unless Polaris hired some 10 year olds to design the thing). I too have been back and forth on this issue Slayer.
It was not until recently that I have found out for a fact that the drives in our SS's do, for a fact, use the same lube for the gear set as they do for the bearings (bearings are NOT a self contained sealed bearing). Because of this, I am gonna live with the howl and go for creating the healthiest envorinment for the bearing surfaces that I can and have decided to also change my Angle Drive fluids until the lube remains clear. I KNOW this is going against Polaris rules that have been thouroughly discussed on here (suppose to leave the lube in for 50k to help with the manufacturing process according to a Polaris Technicians response here) BUT, it makes NO sense to expect bearings to fair well in lubricant that is so contaminated its more like a lapping/grinding compound than a lube! I am personally going with my own gut feeling/common sense approach - if that makes sense..

·
Registered
272 Posts
My plan is to change the fluid every 5000 miles or so with 75w140 and keep an eye on the particulate level. If after a couple of changes I see minimal particulate build up on the drain bolt I may leave the oil for 10,000 miles. I cannot see how this could possibly hurt the angle drive. That's just my opinion. If you have doubt ask a SS technician.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
My plan is to change the fluid every 5000 miles or so with 75w140 and keep an eye on the particulate level. If after a couple of changes I see minimal particulate build up on the drain bolt I may leave the oil for 10,000 miles. I cannot see how this could possibly hurt the angle drive. That's just my opinion. If you have doubt ask a SS technician.
Judging by the quality of some of the parts on this thing, you might wear out the threads. :D

141 - 160 of 330 Posts