Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a voltmeter (the LED type). I got one from Slingmods but it does not fit the 2020. I called them and they suggested cutting the harness. The money they wanted was high for the meter and I am not going to cut the harness. For $50 and I will send it back and get a $10 one on Amazon. They have a few that look like they will fit in the open switch on my 2020 R.

Does anyone have any experience with them? I just want to know if the battery is failing.....

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I used a round Voltmeter from Amazon that just installed with a nut in a hole I made in the mounting panel I used for my round marine radio. Some of them come with little brackets. This one doesn't, but I like that it has both digital and analog voltage displays, includes USB charging and has a see-thru waterproof cover to protect the USB ports.
This one lacks the see-thru waterproof cover, but is otherwise similar to the one above and includes 2 units for a little more - https://smile.amazon.com/DAIERTEK-Charger-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Automotive/dp/B08PCLTT5G/.
This unit mentions the Polaris RZR, so it may be an easy fit, but I'd still recommend checking the dimensions - Switchtec (2 PCS) 4.8 Amps Dual USB Rocker Switch Style Charger w/Blue Voltmeter for Boats, RZR 900, RZR 1000, Ranger, Mobile Home, RV, Spyders, Maverick, SxS, Golf Cart, Off Road Vehicles,: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks!!!! I will order the first one and figure out where to drill a hole..... Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Many thanks!!!! I will order the first one and figure out where to drill a hole..... Thanks again!!!!
Keep in mind that you can also take a few small pieces of plastic and glue-up your own bracket to drill a mounting hole in. A small. thin piece of sheet aluminum can also be bent to make a bracket.
Final option is to measure the switch hole dimensions in your Slingshot and then see if one of these USB Charger/Voltmeters will fit -
Make sure you select a waterproof switch for safety and longevity. Not all of the above charger/voltemer units are waterproof.

·
Administrator
2,982 Posts
Just a friendly heads-up, you might want to test the voltmeter for a while before installing it permanently. Any device that creates noise that interferes with the Engine Control Unit Data Buss can cause rather unusual results. There isn't very good filtering on the buss so things like a low-quality USB power plug inserted into the round power outlet can cause some pretty serious-looking problems (solved by unplugging the USB adapter).

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
@WI_Hedgehog has a good point. A simple voltmeter typically draws just a few milliamps and therefore doesn't present much of a problem since it can be tapped into, say, the radio power circuit w/o presenting a significant load on the circuit. Adding a USB charging circuit will add several amps into the mix and means adding a separate circuit to handle the load. Tracking down electrical noise/interference can be a challenge, but here's a Google search link - reducing electrical noise in automobile circuits - Google Search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts