Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, my Slingshot LE arrived. Quite an impressive machine, I must say. I picked it up in Oregon and drove it all the way to Southern California to visit a friend. There, I removed the stock exhaust system as well as the the standard intake. I replaced both with the stainless steel headers/muffler and CAI produced by Vi Engineered. My contact with this company was through email, but a response was always within the same day.
Ex1a.jpg
Ex2a.jpg
CAI1.jpg
CAI3.jpg

A mechanic I will never claim to be, but I did do a little wrenching in the late 60s, and so the installation of these two components was not a difficult task. Actually, everything went rather smoothly.
The toughest part of the project was getting the original exhaust out, because it required the removal of 6 or 8 torx screws so the inner fender could be pulled out some to make room for its removal. Once that was done and the screws replaced, the rest was quite simple, and aside from having the extra room in the exhaust area, that whole side of the engine compartment looks beautiful. I took my time, and within just a couple of hours, was finished and ready for the test drive.
She runs excellent with a noticeable increase in power, and as expected, the sound of the exhaust was louder. If you have your foot in it, it was loud, but in just getting home from doing a run around northern Calif., throughout the Gold Country for those that know, and up toward Lake Tahoe, even passing cops along the way, I got plenty of looks, but no one was bothered with the sound. On the freeways and highways, the machine has enough power to hold any cruising speed with very little pedal adjustment which was great, but if needed, there was a noticeable increase in performance. I've always said, "It's nice to have it and not need it"...and I must say, these two modifications work very well together.
One of the few mechanical classes I took in college (many moons ago), was welding, and specifically tig welding. I never became proficient at it, but sure learned to tell a good welding job vs. a mediocre one. I love this company's workmanship.
On the Friday afternoon I was doing the install, I had a question for Jon at Vi Engineered. I sent an email and got a response in about 5 minutes, amazingly being that he's somewhere in the east, and it was late in the day out west. He is on top of his mark, knows what he is doing, and gets it done. He had promised me the 'goods' on that same Friday, and they were there as stated. I installed everything that Friday afternoon, also installing some insulation in the holes and on the firewall, and was gone back to Northern Calif. on Sunday. 2000 miles in exactly 2 weeks, and all is very well!
I can't compare other exhaust systems available for the SS, but I can say that I am extremely pleased, and feel like this equipment was designed and built with a purpose and built to last.
Did I say I love my Slingshot!

·
Vendor
542 Posts
Thanks for the share rick!! Glad you like the parts, we work hard to make sure they're the highest quality you can buy!

·
Vendor
542 Posts
There is. Some times you have to trim the hose slightly. I have it in my turbo install write up. Time to do an intake install instructions.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It appears there is some cushioning on the radiator hose where the TB is making contact. Just an observation.
You can fix that by shortening the rad hose about 1inch. You can it the simple way by just moving the collar an inch from the edge of the hose, then take an exacto knife and cut the hose using the collar as a guide. Once you have cut all around, just cut the excess hose in 2 so you can remove the excess without taking the hose off. Push back hose in its place and reposition the collar. Start engine, check for leaks. If it leaks a bit, replace the press on collar with a collar you screw to tight (I hate presure collars).

·
Vendor Supporter!!!!!!
405 Posts
I just installed my CAI and Header/Exhaust for VI Engineering. There were no instructions so I returned to the forum and found instructions there. I had to install the Exhaust and muffler from underneath the Sling, after the header was installed..

I took it for a drive and can say that I noticed a small increase in power. The sound was louder and pleasant while under power. Only when I let off the throttle and let the engine wind down did I hear a rasping sound (like a rice burner "Fart can". Other wise the sound was what I wanted. I have the new silencer installed and will try a drive without it, to see if the sound changes.

SO all in all, I rate these mods as A-. Looks wise there are top notch. Install was not easy but not too hard for a "shade tree mechanic". The sound issue I mentioned was the only negative AT ALL

Thank you Jon, it was great doing business with you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears there is some cushioning on the radiator hose where the TB is making contact. Just an observation.
Yes, I put the rubber 'buffer' there to avoid any potential problem with heat transfer, not chaffing. Afterwards, in talking with Jon, I should have done a slight modification to the top end of the hose by removing about half an inch of it. That way, there would not be any contact at all. It can be done without removing the hose, with no worries about opening the cooling system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just installed my CAI and Header/Exhaust for VI Engineering. There were no instructions so I returned to the forum and found instructions there. I had to install the Exhaust and muffler from underneath the Sling, after the header was installed..

I took it for a drive and can say that I noticed a small increase in power. The sound was louder and pleasant while under power. Only when I let off the throttle and let the engine wind down did I hear a rasping sound (like a rice burner "Fart can". Other wise the sound was what I wanted. I have the new silencer installed and will try a drive without it, to see if the sound changes.

SO all in all, I rate these mods as A-. Looks wise there are top notch. Install was not easy but not too hard for a "shade tree mechanic". The sound issue I mentioned was the only negative AT ALL

Thank you Jon, it was great doing business with you.
I too, like the sound, and after removing the silencer, some of that reverberation was gone. I am quite pleased with the works!

·
Vendor Supporter!!!!!!
405 Posts
There is one additional advantage to using the VI CAI.....
By removing the Airbox to Throttle body hose and air filter, you end up with a nice storage box for you tool kit!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Installed a car chemistry 2.5" 2 disc silencer. I think we may have a winner. Has great a sound when on throttle (still loud and throaty). You can blip the throttle and still have a bark. Idling still rumbly and deep (as can be expected for a 4 cylinder). But cruising and on highway drone completely gone. Can have a conversation and listen to radio at 70 mph and above. No drone when lugging. Loud only when you want it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Was this installed on vi eng exhaust and how is the install do you drill holes in the bottom of pipe thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes I installed it on VI header/exhaust. Had to drill hole in ring on silencer closest to exit end. Used exist hole in muffler. It sticks out about a 1/2" as is. Will probably redial in future to flush or recess. I have a super trapp disc silencer that I need to try is why I didn't fush it to begin with. The super trapp is a multi disc that can be tuned to sound. But it is long. For it to work would take some effort like shortening output pipe on muffler.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Lostnparadise did u use the stainless exhaust packing to quiet it down a little more that they sell to put around the baffle. Do u have pics. With the stainless packing it would quiet it down even more I would think. I know rabtech says it does.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I did not use packing. I don't think it needs it. At cruising speeds 55 and under holding steady speed you can hardly hear it. It only comes to life when in pedal 3/4" to full. On interstate was shocked at how quiet it was. Very comparable to stock. I was so use to the loud that I was finding myself running rpms around 3500-4000 just cruising because it was so quiet. I believe @RABTECH pulled the packing out at SSITS because it was as quiet or quieter than stock. Maybe he will stop by and confirm this. By the way thanks for the tips on this one.

·
Registered
939 Posts
@KZ1 I will have to do some digging. I 'm away working at the moment. Will be this weekend will try and get some pics up and all info on it. I did get it from either jegs or summit not sure which one as I ordered two different silencers one from each. I know it was less than $20 for it. As far as install just used existing hole with one bolt lock washer and a nut with nylon in it. No rattles and tight after 200+ miles. Followed rabtec thread on installing.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would assume a 3 disc would be even quieter. I was afraid it would tone it all the way down to stock or be to restrictive. After all, spent good money for a little performance boost didn't want cancel that all out. Price maybe I miss spoke but didn't think so I will check and repost it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts