Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2017 SLR and gosh the brakes are awful. Traffic stopped on the highway the other day and I didn't think I'd be able to stop in time. Others have mentioned Polaris "serviced" this issue when brought in for a recall. But how do I know if mine has any recalls or just if the dealer will address this?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Certain 2017& 2018 Slingshots were recalled because there was a chance the brake pedal may have been installed incorrectly and possibly allow the brake pedal to become disconnected from the master cylinder, resulting in loss of brakes. See this thread - https://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/there-appears-to-be-a-new-recall-for-2017-18-brake-pedal-installation.167849/.
As far as brake feel, Polaris released modified Digital Wrench software that pulses the ABS pump and ensures all air is removed from the brake system when bleeding the brakes. You need to have your dealer bleed your brakes and ensure that they use the Digital Wrench software to pulse the ABS pump. Otherwise air can remain in the ABS pump and eventuallycan work its way into the brake lines. IF the ABS pump is not activated to force the air out, your brakes will remain mushy.
Also see this Technical Service Bulletin - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V752-8586.pdf. I'm not sure if it might apply in your case, but it never hurts to check.
Also, see this thread on getting all of the air out of your Slingshot brake system - https://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/i-have-rock-hard-brakes-finally.32001/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check with your dealer about accomplishing a "secondary brake bleed."

Bill
Reference a "secondary brake bleed" my brakes were bled according to the dealer when the brake pressure switch was replaced..but I still felt the brakes were "mushy" and would let off the pedal and apply pressure to the brake and it felt better at braking..so the "secondary brake bleed" I assume is another dealer brake bleed to correct so I won't have to double pump???..I did make a appt. in a couple of weeks for the bleed..

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Reference a "secondary brake bleed" my brakes were bled according to the dealer when the brake pressure switch was replaced..but I still felt the brakes were "mushy" and would let off the pedal and apply pressure to the brake and it felt better at braking..so the "secondary brake bleed" I assume is another dealer brake bleed to correct so I won't have to double pump???..I did make a appt. in a couple of weeks for the bleed..
If the dealer tried to use the normal method of depressing the brake pedal to force air out of the system and didn't use the Digital Wrench software to pulse the ABS pump, air can stay in the system, so have the tech be sure to pulse the ABS pump while bleeding the system and that should hopefully alleviate your soft brake situation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the dealer tried to use the normal method of depressing the brake pedal to force air out of the system and didn't use the Digital Wrench software to pulse the ABS pump, air can stay in the system, so have the tech be sure to pulse the ABS pump while bleeding the system and that should hopefully alleviate your soft brake situation.
Thanks I will ask about pulsing the ABS pump...

·
Registered
166 Posts
had the abs pulse done at dealership still had double pump brakes....they never completely bleed back...it's a long brake line....after activating the abs myself 4 times finally back caliper spit out the air....now rock hard one pump and I can activate the abs on pavement...put hawk pads on and no more problems ….

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got back from the Polaris dealer..it was confirmed brakes were not right..said air in the ABS..hooked computer up and bled brakes...looking forward to have brakes for our east coast trip...Note: I was told there was an update on computer when the swingarm was replaced..but I don't think it was done on mine when the arm was changed...jmo..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts