Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1756E110-082E-4931-867F-FEE50402D72F.jpeg
No more fender flapping!!! My first event with the fender flapping was on a 7 day ride to Northern AZ. On the way there was no problem, but when returning home the “flapping” became so severe I thought something had broken. After returning home I found out raising the front support posts temporarily ended the flapping. About that time I was introduced to this forum and did a little digging and find out about the fender buttons, purchased a kit and installed them. What a difference, problem solved!!! Installation was quick and easy due to the instructions and tools that come with the kit. Their was only one pucker moment when taking the provided hole saw to drill two holes into the hood, But don’t fear, follow the instructions and the fender flapping will be eliminated. The installation also has a nice clean look with no posts and securing pins protruding from the hood.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice mod @Extra1 ! So many guys are afraid to drill their hood. I have these buttons as well. Just to clarify, they come from @Mniron .
Wow, what a miss!! Thank you SlingLow for following up with my post to properly give credit where it is due. My intention was to give Phil credit for developing these fender buttons and to recommend them to anyone wanting to manage the nagging fender flap with a mod that looks good and solves the problem. To purchase the “Fender Buttons Kit” go to @Minron and Phil Ward will take care of you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got these from Slingmods three years ago and they worked well for about 2 years. Then they wore out internally and stopped latching. Looking online, I found the same thing for a LOT less money (altho without instructions or the step drillbit) on Ebay. After looking at the internals after removing them, I realized that they’re just too flimsy to hold up against the constant vibration, so I replaced them with standard hood pins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got these from Slingmods three years ago and they worked well for about 2 years. Then they wore out internally and stopped latching. Looking online, I found the same thing for a LOT less money (altho without instructions or the step drillbit) on Ebay. After looking at the internals after removing them, I realized that they’re just too flimsy to hold up against the constant vibration, so I replaced them with standard hood pins.
Would you pot a photo of the pins?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've been using the original version from mniron since he first started installing them. They still work perfectly. The key to any latch is keeping them clean and lubricated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
View attachment 178005 There is a drawback to the hood pins: you have to work a little to open the hood and be careful closing it.
rghust is absolutely right about taking care when closing the hood. Just make sure all the hood latches are properly aligned and no hood slam is necessary. With the buttons opening the hood is a snap. I only had my V3 Latches for a few months so I can’t comment about their durability. I prefer the clean look of the buttons and have no problem with replacing them in 2 years to keep the look.

·
Registered
250 Posts
These hood pins look like the cats meow. I contacted Mniron and they do not seem OVERPRICED at all. He quoted me, not my place to quote you all.
I dont expect them to be priced to beat up on big box stores.
I am leaning toward them.

WW

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
These hood pins look like the cats meow. I contacted Mniron and they do not seem OVERPRICED at all. He quoted me, not my place to quote you all.
I dont expect them to be priced to beat up on big box stores.
I am leaning toward them.

WW
Mniron has been doing them for a long time. I was going to pick some up over a year ago...but I am too afraid to drill the hood lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, breaking out the drill to cut holes in the hood is the hardest part. Just follow the instructions and you will find the installation is not that difficult.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just installed my set of V3 Fender Buttons from @Mniron about 4 months ago. The installation instructions and included tools make the install VERY easy and almost impossible to make mistakes (I say "almost" because....well....I'm sure some people could find a way to do it wrong if they really really tried)
Anyways...I sat on these buttons for well over a year because I was too scared to cut my hood. I should not have worried....the process was quite simple and straight forward using @Mniron 's instructions!! They work perfectly and make a huge difference with the "Flapping Fender" condition. You get what you pay for, and the "Other" hood buttons may be cheaper.....it's because they are of far cheaper quality.
My only suggestion is to use some RTV Silicone on the large nut that tightens down the Button Flange on the hood. I had heard some folks say that the nuts would vibrate loose over time. The location makes it kind of hard to really tighten them down, so as a preventative measure, I applied some RTV Silicone to each of them, and they haven't budged.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Talked to Phil over the weekend and ordered a set. Good guy and responds quickly to any questuons.
Will review later.

Webby
Good guy is right. Phil installed his buttons on my 2nd Sling after the 1st was totaled. Then he trailered it 1,846 miles from Minneapolis to Vancouver, WA, dropped it off in my driveway and trailered my wrecked Sling home to rebuild. He also brokered the sale in Minnesota for me so that I was comfortable wiring money to a man I never met. Top notch individual and a man among men. He's also a pretty smart dude.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts