Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
The bottom line, is that knocking does NOT harm an engine, even serious knocking, so if you have a light amount of knocking, it is ABSOLUTELY no big deal.
You should seriously consider a carreer as a comic. Seriously the crap you can spit as if its fact boggles my mind.

Good luck with saving your 4$ per tank, put it in a savings account for when your knocking doesn't damage your engine.

And btw, it will surely run OK on poor gas because the ECU will go out of its way to protect the engine and prevent knocking. It will run like shit but if you drive like you post, it must not be an issue for you and am I sure you will not feel the difference.

I'll stick with premium but thanks for you (dis)information.

Man.... knocking doesn't damage engines, even SEVERE knocking.... I am sure in your Wonderland it must even gove you more power (well its an EXPLOSION so its extra power no?)

I suggest adding some salt to your fuel, it helps with the ionasation process of the fuel mixture and it heals the metal of the engine...

·
Banned
931 Posts
This member has been banned for continuing to post false / misleading information after several warnings.
knocking doesn't damage engines, even SEVERE knocking.... I am sure in your Wonderland it must even gove you more power (well its an EXPLOSION so its extra power no?)
Well, NO is the correct answer! Gasoline engines consume fuel in a slow burn while diesel engines consume fuel in a rapid EXPLOSION.

Remember the earliest Powestroke engines (1995 & up) how loudly and badly they knocked? Compare them to current diesels that are super quiet (i.e. virtually knock free). The difference? Early ones had a SINGLE fuel explosion per each engine cycle, while modern ones have a series of small pulsed explosions per each engine cycle.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY THE EARLIER ENGINES WERE DOOMED TO EARLY FAILURE DO TO KNOCKING! On the contrary, they easily lasted 750,000 miles.

·
Banned
931 Posts
BTW: mine seems to idle smoother on lower octane.

I had asked/report about less than perfectly smooth idling in a recent thread. 89 octane has seemed to improve it! :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
The bottom line, is that knocking does NOT harm an engine, even serious knocking, so if you have a light amount of knocking, it is ABSOLUTELY no big deal.
I glad this "Aufge" is not a pilot.... I find his opinions and expressed subject matter knowledge,as expressed in this forum to be outright ridiculous. Now where is the ignore this person button.....
pinging which is what Ford had problems with for a few years is mostly just a noise Knocking detonation is very destructive it will destroy a racing engine in seconds and is very damaging I would not trust my ears to select fuel grades any more than I would set timing by ear JMO.

·
Registered
873 Posts
BTW: mine seems to idle smoother on lower octane.

I had asked/report about less than perfectly smooth idling in a recent thread. 89 octane has seemed to improve it! :D
Yessss, I want perfect IDLE, even if it makes my engine Knock, who gives a crap, as long as it IDLES fine...

BTW, I give up. Mental surrender, I cannot beat this...

Can't WAIT to see your next post, seriously...

We've had lightning rods now, cheap fuel for better idle, Knocking that improves performance, WHAT'S NEXT, oooh can't wait !

·
Registered
674 Posts
pinging which is what Ford had problems with for a few years is mostly just a noise Knocking detonation is very destructive it will destroy a racing engine in seconds and is very damaging I would not trust my ears to select fuel grades any more than I would set timing by ear JMO.
You should seriously consider a carreer as a comic. Seriously the crap you can spit as if its fact boggles my mind.

Good luck with saving your 4$ per tank, put it in a savings account for when your knocking doesn't damage your engine.

And btw, it will surely run OK on poor gas because the ECU will go out of its way to protect the engine and prevent knocking. It will run like shit but if you drive like you post, it must not be an issue for you and am I sure you will not feel the difference.

I'll stick with premium but thanks for you (dis)information.

Man.... knocking doesn't damage engines, even SEVERE knocking.... I am sure in your Wonderland it must even gove you more power (well its an EXPLOSION so its extra power no?)

I suggest adding some salt to your fuel, it helps with the ionasation process of the fuel mixture and it heals the metal of the engine...
I think I will put some regular in my blower motor dice detonation does no damage this 110 racing fuel is very expensive . LOL

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think I will put some regular in my blower motor dice detonation does no damage this 110 racing fuel is very expensive . LOL
You are obviously very ignorant to use that fuel, you should try Vegan OIL, I hear it does WONDERS for your IDLE.

·
Registered
894 Posts
In example: Absolutely no engine knocking whatsoever! :smuggrin:

At first with my SS I used premium/93 octane. Not wanting to spend superfluous money on superfluous octane, I went to a 50/50 mix of premium & mid-grade/89 octane for several tankfuls.

So for the next few tankfuls, I will use "only" mid-grade, which works very well in the SS.

After that, I will try a 50/50 mix of regular/87 octane & mid-grade/89 octane to see what happens then! :D

Nice can you try diesel maybe it work even better lol

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Engine knock is very bad.
That said, I have often run 89 octane and it was fine. No engine knock.
If the ecu pulled timing and reduced power I didnt feel it.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
That is highly erroneous, knocking (detonation) cause shock waves throughout the engine which is what you're hearing. They can be totally catastrophic. Engines that do not have computer management will generally blow holes through the piston. ECMs do their best to correct but if you can hear it, it's not good. Yes, the engine integrity can handle pinging and minor detonation but long term it is still damaging. Given the almost zero cost savings this makes absolutely no sense. My assumption is that you're posting obviously controversial statements for entertainment.
WELL-SAID - - - carol & i concur 100%
...................... tom n carol

Attachments

41 - 60 of 115 Posts