Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the time my dealer get's my first round SL ,I might be able to save a few grand on a used one .

·
Registered
792 Posts
Or, if adjusted for market value, pay more than MSRP. A loaded rich guy who gets what he wants when he wants will glady hand over a puny $2-$3K to have-it-now instead of being number 10 in line and wait til Spring or Summer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
To be honest, I'd be lying if I wasn't thinking about this.

I'm in Chicago and certainly don't want to take delivery of a vehicle that will sit in my garage for at least 4 months. My plan is to pull the trigger in April. At that time, there may be a small number of SS vehicles that might be for sale.

Could reasonably happen. It's a toy. Toys go when things go bad. Or maybe people buy it and get bored. Or maybe people buy it and it doesn't stick. It happens.

And no, it's not a high end vehicle that will appreciate in value. I can see them selling for $5K less used in a few months...

·
Registered
792 Posts
In a few months, yeah. But right now for Christmas.... it could happen. If it hasn't already. I have already been offered $1,000 for my number one spot in line. I live in Louisiana so I can ride year-round. So I'm not getting at the back of the line. It was 77 degrees yesterday.

·
Registered
291 Posts
77? Subtract 60 from that and you have Chicago today!

On the contrary - I'm not looking at the weather in terms of 'driving days', I'm looking at it waiting for a few nice cold days in a row so I can flood my backyard hockey rink! :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
To be honest, I'd be lying if I wasn't thinking about this.

I'm in Chicago and certainly don't want to take delivery of a vehicle that will sit in my garage for at least 4 months. My plan is to pull the trigger in April. At that time, there may be a small number of SS vehicles that might be for sale.

Could reasonably happen. It's a toy. Toys go when things go bad. Or maybe people buy it and get bored. Or maybe people buy it and it doesn't stick. It happens.

And no, it's not a high end vehicle that will appreciate in value. I can see them selling for $5K less used in a few months...
I dont see any problem with waiting, though I dont know how much you will save.
I see brand new Porsches and Vipers for sale 3 months later all the time at discounted prices and a few hundred miles on them.
Ha, granted, probably a few hundred track miles, but oh well. :)
Happens all the time, people buy things and then go "eeehhhh."
Remind me to tell you why there were/are so many 2005 Elises. :)
Same thing. Almost.
Its the people in warm weather climates who will be selling this spring. They drove it a thousand miles then parked it when the newness wore off and are ready to sell it for the new cool car or something.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There will be a very active secondary market for these. Just like all my cars. Those who CAN wait, should. In 6 months, this vehicle will sell for a $3-4K savings. $5K at a yr. $7.5K at 2yrs. $15K off at 3yrs. There is no rocket science here.

I just want mine in the first 1-2 months of deliveries so I can enjoy the newness etc.

I have a LIST of cars that I believe the secondary market is for me. The slingshot? Naaaa. I rather buy brand new and share it with someone if I get bored

·
Registered
156 Posts
In a few months, yeah. But right now for Christmas.... it could happen. If it hasn't already. I have already been offered $1,000 for my number one spot in line. I live in Louisiana so I can ride year-round. So I'm not getting at the back of the line. It was 77 degrees yesterday.
Take their $1000 and drive up to Missouri and buy one the same day and take it home.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It was 80 degrees here today before it started to rain. Only a slight downpour for 30 minutes. Thought for a second is was tears from you guys in Wisconsin, Chicago or MN wishing you had it this warm. All I can say to you is Merry Christmas and "COME ON DOWN" and enjoy the weather.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
There will be a very active secondary market for these. Just like all my cars. Those who CAN wait, should. In 6 months, this vehicle will sell for a $3-4K savings. $5K at a yr. $7.5K at 2yrs. $15K off at 3yrs. There is no rocket science here.

I just want mine in the first 1-2 months of deliveries so I can enjoy the newness etc.

I have a LIST of cars that I believe the secondary market is for me. The slingshot? Naaaa. I rather buy brand new and share it with someone if I get bored
A base model for 5 grand in only three years?!! Are you sure @BatWing? :D In december of 2017 would you please let me know first if you're selling yours?:) Can I hold you to that depreciation?

·
Registered
175 Posts
A base model for 5 grand in only three years?!! Are you sure @BatWing? :D In december of 2017 would you please let me know first if you're selling yours?:) Can I hold you to that depreciation?
The usual depreciation on a US Vehicle is 50% at three years. Half of $20K would be $10K. So conservatively its worth $10K in 3 years. However, I said it may be as bad as $5K based upon the market depreciation of trikes like the t-rex. I don't think I am that for off. It will be worth between $5 and $10K in 3years. Yes, you can hold me to those numbers. . .

Reactions: Slingking

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The usual depreciation on a US Vehicle is 50% at three years. Half of $20K would be $10K. So conservatively its worth $10K in 3 years. However, I said it may be as bad as $5K based upon the market depreciation of trikes like the t-rex. I don't think I am that for off. It will be worth between $5 and $10K in 3years. Yes, you can hold me to those numbers. . .
Most bikes only drop so far then level off. Case in point..... 2006 Honda VTX 1800 will still cost u 5000.00. They have been 5000.00 for the last 6 years. So they will still be worth 10k for a while after they take the initial hit.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Ive looked at T-Rexs for years. If they depreciated as fast as you think, I would have tried to buy one a long time ago.

50% in 3 years in crazy talk for any well maintained motorcycle that is popular.

The only variable is how much Polaris will/can flood the market and any major issues that derail interest.

The more people see these on the street, the more interest Polaris will get. I am sure 2~3 people have all ready put a deposit down after looking at mine.

10% drop in re-sale per year is where my guess is. Once at 4~5 years, it will level out.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts