Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello hopefully someone can give me some advice. I am looking at a used 2018 Grand Touring LE with 1100 miles and also a new 2019 slr. The SLR is about 2k more but it is brand new. Which one would you go with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can’t speak for the 2019 SLR, but I have the 2018 GT LE. Wouldn’t trade it for anything. Drive both and see what you like more. Personally on the highways I liked the slingshade roof and windshield combo. That’s what pushed me to the GT. definitely a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
A few questions -
Do you prefer either color?
Do you like the lines/look of the Slingshade? Would you prefer a different top?
Are there any differences in the equipment between the two? Radio/Navigation differences? Suspension differences?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like either color. Not sure on the shade, I do like the looks but might prefer the open cockpit. No other differences. I will say a used 2018 SL was just posted by a local car dealership. They are asking 19500 with 2600 miles. I am going to look at it sometime today. Anything I need to be aware of when checking out a used slingshot? Thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Anything I need to be aware of when checking out a used slingshot?
In my opinion, the break-in period is very important. After that, there's not a lot you can do to hurt the drivetrain. I bought a car once that was abused during break-in and one of the cylinders was scored. It ran perfectly but always consumed oil. I would look very closely at start-up for any unusual emissions (blue smoke=bad, but don't get fooled by steam on a cold day). Check oil to see that it is not low (although this can be topped off by the owner/dealer). Talk to the first owner if possible and ask him how he handled break in. A lot can be learned through conversation. Also, at 2,600 miles I would expect to see the stock Kenda on the back. If it has been changed, someone was romping on it. If it's still on, I would expect to see a little over half of the tread left based on my driving style which is aggressive, but not as much as some. Lots of guys burn up the rear tire every 3,000 miles or so, so it could be less than half. I got about 8,000 out of my stock Kenda.

At the end of the day, only you can make the decision. My recommendation is to decide to buy at least one of them!

·
Registered
15 Posts
WE WANT PICTURES!!!! Congrats on the purchase!!!! Be careful of the mod bug. It strikes hard and bleeds your bank account quickly 🤪

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully the pics post. Lol at the mod bug. I already want the slr rear wheel and tire 305. And the factory stereo needs some bass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I ended up buying a 2018 Sl with 2900 miles. Love the color, it is dragon green. This is my first slingshot and I am grinning from ear to ear. They were asking 19500 ended up getting it for 17500. From the looks of it, it still had the factory kenda tire on the rear.
Nice. Good price too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Go with the SLR all day. Wider more aggresive wheel set up, different color, cooler seats, cooler accesories. It’s a no brainer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello hopefully someone can give me some advice. I am looking at a used 2018 Grand Touring LE with 1100 miles and also a new 2019 slr. The SLR is about 2k more but it is brand new. Which one would you go with.
I bought an SL in 2015 new and never added anything to it. Drove it for over 20,000, took it from Alabama to Ohio and also to Kansas City and Wichita and never had a lick of problems. Never saw any need to hop it up, widen a tire, or add a roof. Just go with it man and forget about worrying about 'comfort' and all that jazz. Do I still have it? No, but only because my wife wanted to LEAN in bends and prefers to stick to a two wheeler. So I ride a Victory Octane and she now feels too old and weak to go on her own two wheels, so on occasion we borrow her daughter's Can An Spyder and I stick her on the back of that. Should have kept the Slingshot in the long term I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really enjoy read all the stories and stuff. Almost "almost" as much as drive mine.
Sorry to hear your regrets John Hand. We won't hold it against you if you want to come back. I traded my Victory Vision Tour in for my 2016.5 SL, at wife's insistence. Miss it, yes. Go back to two, nope.
As always enjoy life and your ride.

·
Registered
191 Posts
All the time I had that Slingshot and was putting 20,000 on it I also was riding a two wheel bike plus off to the mountains sometimes in my Mazda Miata. So I never actually left two wheels for three, but I see nothing wrong with riding on three. I felt better riding alone on two wheels over alone on three so that is the main reason I sold the Slingshot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts