Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I’m ready to pull the trigger on a slingshot. Should I be buying a used 2015 with 20K or a new 2019 base which is currently $16K with r3bates. Thank you !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s my First time, first inquiry, in any forum. Maybe my doppelgänger visited in the past 🤪

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Go with newer one. Small changes, nothing to get excited about, but the newer the better would be my feeling.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I have a 2015 S model and am happy with it, but I'd go for the new one since the added cost will not be that much and the new 2019 will have the 2-year manufacturer's warranty if it's really new and has never been registered. Even if the dealer has put some miles on it as a demo, if it's being sold as "New", the full warranty should still apply.

Color and mods would factor in only if not having the warranty on the newer one is offset by the price, color and mods on the 2015 are what you want compared to the new 2019. Paint is very expensive and if one has the color you really want, the cost of painting the other Slingshot can be significant. My2015 S model was originally Titanium Metallic, but I really wanted Yellow, something Polaris didn't offer at the time. Painting estimates were at least $2000 at most places I checked until I found a young man who painted older commuter or damaged cars and he only wanted $800. The paint job I got was what I call a 3 - 5 paint job in that if you get closer than 3 - 5 ft, you can see the problems in the paint job, but I'm still reasonably happy with what I got for the cost since the cost was reasonably affordable. I would have preferred a better paint job, but that would have cost far more than I paid. The young man had clearly underestimated how much work would be involved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all. I’m ready to pull the trigger on a slingshot. Should I be buying a used 2015 with 20K or a new 2019 base which is currently $16K with r3bates. Thank you !
I say by the new one that way you can Take your time to build it how you want it. I bought a used model and I regret it because I basically replaced everything that came stock with the slingshot and found out I ended up spending more money And didn’t get the rebates

·
Registered
5 Posts
It really on depends on what style fender you want, color, and mileage you want. I personally have a 15 and I put lights in my fender...19 has different colors than 15. Figure out what kind of mileage you trust in each autocycle

·
Registered
105 Posts
Go with the 19 model. FYI- If it is "used", check on the length of the warranty that is left. Unless they have changed basic warranty, it begins when first buyer drives it off showroom. Also, be sure to check on recalls that may have not been completed. When people asks how it drives-I tell them it is between driving a go cart and a sports car. Things to consider adding:1.- a curb; rear fender (if not included). Also, do a search for non-OEM parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok am I reading that wrong. Are you saying a 2015 for 20k or a 2019 for 16k

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  1. Lol. I just reread my post. I posted that at about 3am when I couldn’t sleep thinking about a slingshot. Anyhow, I wound up purchasing a 2016 Base w/ 22K miles for $12,500 shipped across the country. I was debating purchasing a 2019 base for $16k (with the rebates) new but happy I saved the cash. It came from a reputable dealer and arrives Sunday. Wooohoooo

·
Registered
14 Posts
  1. Lol. I just reread my post. I posted that at about 3am when I couldn’t sleep thinking about a slingshot. Anyhow, I wound up purchasing a 2016 Base w/ 22K miles for $12,500 shipped across the country. I was debating purchasing a 2019 base for $16k (with the rebates) new but happy I saved the cash. It came from a reputable dealer and arrives Sunday. Wooohoooo
Prob a good choice. The only thing that didn't seem to have some issues was the engine on the SS and that was sourced out. Now everything is made by Polaris so I would find out what issues come with the new Models before I made that leap. This way get familiar with the SS and your not out a ton of money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Prob a good choice. The only thing that didn't seem to have some issues was the engine on the SS and that was sourced out. Now everything is made by Polaris so I would find out what issues come with the new Models before I made that leap. This way get familiar with the SS and your not out a ton of money.
I’ve rented twice. 2019s with 1K miles or less. So let’s see what happens. I’m a new “regular” here tho. Thanks for all the input everyone !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buy it new with discounts. You don't want to inherit others problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to the world of Slingshots. As I posted, I have a 16 SS SL. I have 20K miles on mine. Shipped at the quoted price sounds like a good deal. There are 6 recalls that should have been performed on your 16 model.The dealer can tell you. Stickers should be visible in engine compartment. I have accounts with Slingmods.com (in Califormia)and Slingshotonly. (in Srasota, Florida) Both have non-OEM products. Prices are comparable. Good luck Keep in touch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go with the new one because: Warranty, numerous improved parts that are not obvious (e.g., angle drive), ability to install much better OEM head unit, you never know how the other one was driven...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go with the new one because: Warranty, numerous improved parts that are not obvious (e.g., angle drive), ability to install much better OEM head unit, you never know how the other one was driven...
well never mind ... I should have read the whole chain ... lol. Hope you have a blast with your new toy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get the newer one. There are some improvements since the 2015. Stability control is better. You also have a blank slate to customize to your desire with the base model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts