Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say - I SEARCHED. And Searched. And searched. SS has been in-n-out of the dealership so much I think they ought to be making payments. Literally on-n-off for 3 months totaling at least 4 weeks in the shop so far.

2016 SLR that I just bought used in Jan 2018, 4000 miles. FM reception is TERRIBLE. I can literally see the station antenna 1 mile away and it just won't pick up consistently even around town. Plugged in USB and used Bluetooth from phone - both cut in-n-out although it lookslike the song is continuing in the background but just doesn't come out the speakers (the song is in the same place it would have been if it had continued, not a skip and restart).

Tried all the below with no improvement:
  • Had the camera replaced.
  • Tried multiple aftermarket antennas
  • Ran MULTIPLE antennas for a while
  • Had the stock antenna replaced.
  • Dealership replaced the stereo with another one from a working SS in their inventory.
  • Dealership tried their personal Bluetooth cell phones on my stereo - confirmed issue.
  • Tried my USB in other Slingshots with no problem.
At this point, dealership is ordering another USB cord to try that. I'm thinking something in the wiring might be interfering, especially since they replaced the stereo (both face and black box) and we still had the same problems (albeit lessened).

I had replaced the speakers with the Pioneers that every one mentions - just plug-n-play, no change to cross over or anything, but the FM was definitely a problem before that.

If I can get a refund from Polaris for this junk stereo, I would put in an aftermarket bluetooth amp and let it go.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

·
Registered
573 Posts
My 2018 is finicky about dropping my settings from one vehicle to the SS.
My bluetooth also cuts out every now and then. Have not tried the USB but will in the next day or so after your post. As for FM antenna reception, many have said that it is almost worthless. Several have tried numerous antennas and still not good. Have not gotten into it like you but mine is only a couple of weeks old but have almost given up on listening to FM while driving. Bluetooth has been my best bet but as I said, have not tried the USB.
I am sure that some of the more experienced folks will chime in before too long as I remember several have commented on the poor reception.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
My first 2015 Slingshot had a BAD USB wire that had to be changed. the FM radio reception very poor on most all OEM radio units. I converted music to Memory Sticks and use the USB --- works great 99.5% of the time. (did have to buy some CD's --- my new music was on cassette tapes....) Would like to figure out how to put together a mixed play list....with 'Window 8' you could but Windows 10 the NEW and IMPROVED additions … puts the music back in the album and ABC order.... But the sound is good and works for me. I have $5.00 ears so I don't need a new $1,000.00 unit.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Rando,
You got to say more than that.
What Sirius hook up did you use?
I put an aftermarket VAIS unit in my Toyota Tacoma a few years ago and about 6 months ago when Sirius re-booted their system with upgrades, my unit drops the signal each time I shut it off. Liked Sirius and have it in one of our other vehicles but might be a good option in the SS...So give all details....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm about ready to pull the entire system and just replace it with another double-din stereo. But of course there are no waterproof double-dins and I don't want to spend over $150 more for just a "splash cover". I live in Texas, and while I don't plan on riding in the rain, I don't want to get caught in a sudden storm here (2" per hour) and lose it.

My question about the FM Reception: Is it the radio that's bad or the antenna? Like I said, I tried a couple different aftermarket antenna's and didn't see any improvement, leading me to think it's the head unit. But I don't want to replace the head unit with another one and still have the same FM reception issue if it's the antenna.

I've looked at even just pulling the entire stereo and just run a bluetooth amp via my phone. Even thought about getting a cheap 7" tablet to just run stereo/GPS/Android Auto/etc. You can get inexpensive waterproof covers for those and I can take it out if it get's too bad.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Chavey,
I would say do whatever gives you peace of mind. If you don't need or use the FM stations then I would say don't stress over it and get a USB or Bluetooth system if that will meet your needs. You are the only one that knows what you want or need and as you said it can be portable. Many have had issues with the FM reception so I would spend the effort with the USB or Bluetooth options. If the bluetooth will meet all your needs then it may be the easiest route and may give you peace of mind...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Rando,
You got to say more than that.
What Sirius hook up did you use?
I put an aftermarket VAIS unit in my Toyota Tacoma a few years ago and about 6 months ago when Sirius re-booted their system with upgrades, my unit drops the signal each time I shut it off. Liked Sirius and have it in one of our other vehicles but might be a good option in the SS...So give all details....
I have an old Sirius Stiletto portable satellite radio that I mounted on the center windshield bracket with a fm tuner to the stock radio. I use a Sena Tufftalk Bluetooth headset that eliminates road noise and allows me to actually understand the words to the songs without blasting the volume. I couldn’t be happier! When I purchased the Stiletto, years ago, I also purchased a lifetime subscription to SiriusXM! Needless to say, I don’t leave the Stiletto in the SS when I park it anywhere other than my garage.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Got new USB cord installed yesterday - still have same problems running off of USB. Admittedly not as much as before, but still. Got so bad after about 2 hrs that I had to just turn it off.

FM reception is better, not perfect, with new antenna.

So, so far, we've replaced the antenna, stereo face plate, black box, and USB cord and yet I STILL cannot get the stereo to act accordingly. When does "Lemon Law" kick in?

Dealership is calling Polaris AGAIN on Monday to see what they can come up with.

Regarding "Peace of Mind" - that would be a working stereo. We paid $2000 for this POS and can't get it to work properly. If you were to buy a new Honda Accord and the stereo didn't work, would you just say okay because you like to drive with the windows down? Or that I should just listen to my ipod via headphones? As far as I'm concerned, Polaris should refund my money.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I have started a case myself direct with Polaris. They have sent a brand new (not reconditioned) stereo to the dealer where it is being installed today. I'm not optimistic because they dealership already tried switching stereos with another stock unit and that didn't work then.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Got the SS back today with a NEW infotainment system. It still skips. So far, we have done:
  1. Verified the skipping on my USB.
  2. Verified the skipping on my Bluetooth from both Samsung S5 and S8 Galaxy phones.
  3. Verified the skipping on THEIR PERSONAL Bluetooth phones (Samsung- I don't know about Apple) on my stereo.
  4. Verified my USB did NOT skip in another SlingShot stereo.
  5. Pulled another stereo from an existing stock SlingShot and verified it continued to skip in my SS.
  6. Put my stereo in that other SS and verified it did NOT skip.
  7. Replaced Back Up Camera.
  8. Replaced Antenna.
  9. Replaced USB cable.
  10. Replaced Infotainment system with an entirely new system and verified it continued to skip.
I am VERY happy with all the work that the dealership has performed. But it is simply unacceptable that I should have a unit that does not work. I still have an open case with Polaris and am waiting for them to let me know next steps.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And yesterday they replaced the face plate again. I thought they had did it when they replaced the Infotainment System but I guess not. So now we have confirmed we have replaced everything stereo related: Black Box, Face Plate, Antenna, Camera, Wire Harness, & USB. I've already replaced the speakers, so the only thing left of the original unit is the pods and cross overs.

I ready to just yank everything and just replace all of it. If I can get Polaris to pay me back at least what this system costs stock, I'ld do that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I yanked it all. Bought a Pioneer MVH-300EX (didn't want CD/DVD/GPS) and the Scosche Double Din Mount kit and Harness. Immediately got 18+ FM stations just sitting in the garage - tells me the antenna is not the main problem. Bluetooth and USB work PERFECTLY. Only issue I have is I can't get the rear camera to work even with the harness connector and changing the stereo from positive to negative ground.

I've searched the forums here but can't find my specific answers. Verified I have reverse 12 power - just nothing coming out the monitor except static.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts