Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 2009 Posts

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I started my Slingshot yesterday for the first time since early November. It started and ran "just fine" and even though it's sitting on the trailer in the pole barn, covered and waiting for the snow to melt, it felt so damn good to sit in the seat, turn on the stereo and just imagine being anywhere but in northern Michigan..... That said, everything I've bought from Slingmods has been exactly as described, shipped quickly and seems to be competitively priced, so even though I've not bought "big bucks stuff", I'm satisfied with what I've bought. Now if it'll just warm up a little bit. 60F is my "low limit"...
I've had my Slingshot up on blocks since the end of last October so I could do some maintenance work and fab a new dash plate for the new radio I bought last Fall. I had removed the O2 sensor for my Innovate AFR/Boost gauge and wanted to fab the4 new plate, but I misplaced my 2-1/16"/52mm and finally bought a plug for the O2 sensor hole and was able to start the Slingshot for the first time since October. I, too, enjoyed starting the engine and listening to it as I let it idle and refresh the battery's charge. Now, I just need to find that darned hole saw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a couple of mods to do to mine. I installed the DEI heat control kit last summer. It made a WORLD of difference in passenger area temperature. My wife thinks I'm great (and I won't argue) LOL I've got the Ripper windshield brace/GPS ball mount/rear view mirror to install and I'm thinking about the vented "hood vent" to help extract a bit more heat from under the hood. If things work as planned and I can get the big sliding door on the pole barn open in March, I think we're going to hitch the fifth wheel and the slingshot trailer behind the truck and head south until there's GREEN everywhere !!!!! Last year we wound up in south Texas before it was warm enough, spent a couple of weeks there, then headed to Las Vegas for a month. I don't think we'll go that far, but hopefully south of Memphis will be warm enough to ride. First though is getting the door unfrozen so I can open the barn and get the toys out.

As for hole saws.... Are you sure you want to drill "great big holes" ???? LOL

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I originally designed a dash plate for the radio, gauge, etc., and had a shop cut it from aluminum sheet with a water-jet. Then I started fabbing new dash plates to accommodate each new radio using 1/4" ABS or PVC plastic sheet. I just drill 6 mounting holes in each dash plate to fit he 6 mounting holes I made in the Slingshot dash.
I just bought a new NASCAR style Tallboy +2 Windshield from AllThingsSlingshot and I'm thinking about drilling/cutting it so I can mount some adjustable vents in the windshield for better airflow/cooling. I plan on testing the process on some scrap ABS/PVC sheet, but I can guarantee I will experience some significant pucker factor when I go to do the actual install on the windshield.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out the Polaris Ripper Tall windshield. I installed it last year and get quite a bit of ventilation under the base of the windshield. There are 6 (I think) cutouts along the bottom of the windshield that work with the airflow over the hood to let air in, keep water and bugs out. You might get some ideas from that to help plan your vent openings. I was really surprised at how well they work with the hood design to keep water flowing over the windshield and not through the vents and directly onto us. Someone did a lot of "thinking beyond my abilities" in planning those cutouts.... Might work to help you too....

·
Registered
13 Posts
EJ Ford, I'm in northern Michigan, near Gaylord. That's "right in the middle", on I-75, halfway between Traverse City and Alpena. I've stored our Slingshot in the pole barn, on the trailer for the second year now. So far, I've never used a battery tender either. I start it up every 2 or 3 months, let it run for about 15-20 minutes (so it has time to evaporate any moisture out of the oil pan) then let it cool, put the cover back on it with new packets of Fresh Cab (natural mouse repellant). I would ride in 45F weather, but up here, if you get "kinda far from home" and the weather turns or the sun goes down, it gets LOTS colder "real quick" !!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
We did the tunnel of trees this past fall during the "colors tour" (when the leaves begin to change). It was a wee bit too cold for the Slingshot, so we took the car. Last summer we did "most of the tunnel" in the Slingshot, but gave up and headed home when the thunder bumpers started moving in off Lake Michigan. We'll probably do it again this summer. Our first "planned Slingshot trip" this year is from here, up through sault Ste Marie, through Canada to Niagara Falls, then back through New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and home. Our grandson is getting married this May, so part of the summer is "unknown just yet" depending on what they plan to do. We'll see, but if they can't make up their mind, Grandpa might just "head out for a ride" until they can figure things out LOL

·
Welcome to the Grey Bar Bed and Breakfast.
689 Posts
We may be running out of things to report on. Here is one that happened to me. I had to work on some home plumbing issues the other day. Now I know why plumbers eat their french fries with a fork.:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:???????‍?

1821 - 1840 of 2009 Posts