Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently looked at the Stingray top while at Maggie Valley. I like the way the top operates and the visibility. I spoke with several people at the event about the top. After those discussions I felt I needed to ask a wider audience a few questions.

Has anyone had issues with rattles or noise with the Stingray top? If you have other pros or cons, please share with me.

I know the top is expensive, but that is not my only consideration.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm interested in this, too, because I've boiled my choices down to the Stingray or the Stinger, with the Stinger slightly ahead at this point. I'm interested in every detail, from possible rattles to the way either top might affect cabin wind flow or cause the need for a higher-than-stock windshield. Good to talk with several knowledgeable folks at Maggie Valley about this, but would love to hear more from more.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,850 Posts
Seems like there are a handful out there that rattle...but for the most part they are all pretty quiet. I think all tops inherently have some noise...especially if you have a windshield that doesn't flow properly with the lines of the top.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had the original "Madstad Stinger" for about 2 years now and couldn't be happier. The wife loves it especially the fact that we can start out with the tops reversed in the morning and turn them around in the afternoon heat and sun as well as reversing them at night when out for dinner. The unobstructed view is a big plus imho. Rattling is at a minimum but all things that connect or lock will rattle in some way, to what degree depends largely on road conditions. If the road is very rough it will certainly rattle more, smooth road and it is silent. With them turned around it is no different then without them and cabin air flow is not greater with them in position and maybe a little reduced if anything. Yes, they are expensive but worth every penny especially to the wife!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have one installed and I have an F4 +5 windshield. Unfortunately due to the crappy weather I have not taken it out for any extended drives, but I did not notice any particular noise with it on several short trips. Airflow seems to be unchanged. I have not had the determination to try it in the rain, But my wife so far loves it in the sun. I do really like the ability to push the top back when it isn't needed, and have it seconds away when it is.

I would note however that the dashboard brace goes in where your sound system gets mounted. I had to have the brace that came with the roof heavily modified to fit around my Pioneer system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently looked at the Stingray top while at Maggie Valley. I like the way the top operates and the visibility. I spoke with several people at the event about the top. After those discussions I felt I needed to ask a wider audience a few questions.

Has anyone had issues with rattles or noise with the Stingray top? If you have other pros or cons, please share with me.

I know the top is expensive, but that is not my only consideration.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Have a Madstad stinger top and Ruby red windshield. Airflow is great sound is abated and sun stays off. The top does rattle on rough roads. I do very much like the top and windshield.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think all roofs have pros and cons. It's all up to each individual on how much money you want to spend. I have had my SS for 2 years. I bought my top at Maggie Valley . It's just canvas. We drove 653 miles home and we love the top. Best money we spent at Maggie Valley . Got the f4 windshield too. Good luck on what ever top you get

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was going to purchase the stingray, but after visually comparing the difference between the stingray and the stinger, it appears to me that the stingray would tend to rattle much more and it looks almost like a prototype instead of the finished product. I asked the question to one of the personnel from Twist Dynamics (Slingshot Only) at an event and was told the stingray does tend to rattle much more than the stinger. Therefore, I am waiting to see if changes are going to be made in design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, new guy here and wanted to chime in on this topic as I just received my stingray top on 4/14/2020. Couple of things that should be considered before buying this top. First is do you have a double DIN dash mount radio. If so, know that the bracing that goes inside the dash will not work with your unit as shipped from Twist Dynamics. The brace interferes with the radio. 2nd you can not attach the bolts to the upper brace because the radio shell interferes with the bolts.

If you have a MadStad adjustable height windshield, it is not compatible with the Stingray because there is no adapter at this time to attach the center brace for the windshield. I will likely end up hacking up the original brace and making my own brace.

Last but definitely not least the instructions that come with the unit do not accurately represent the hardware that included. Case and Point: the pictures show straight bars across the back between the roll bar attachments. Reality, the bars have 2" offset bends in them and the bars are universal so you are left guessing as to which way the offset should be placed. There are 4 possible scenarios that they can possibly be configured into and still fit. The correct answer is that the offsets go toward the back of the Slingshot. Additionally, the sequence of events do not match what is needed. The description of the hardware used is not clearly outlined. I thought about writing my own version up and selling it to them.

So if you venture down this path, know what you are getting yourself into. With luck, I will finish my tonight but will not have the center brace attached after grinding and cutting the "horse shoe" to make it at least attach to the lower dash but could not attach it to the upper brace. Hopefully, I will finish tonight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello everyone, new guy here and wanted to chime in on this topic as I just received my stingray top on 4/14/2020. Couple of things that should be considered before buying this top. First is do you have a double DIN dash mount radio. If so, know that the bracing that goes inside the dash will not work with your unit as shipped from Twist Dynamics. The brace interferes with the radio. 2nd you can not attach the bolts to the upper brace because the radio shell interferes with the bolts.

If you have a MadStad adjustable height windshield, it is not compatible with the Stingray because there is no adapter at this time to attach the center brace for the windshield. I will likely end up hacking up the original brace and making my own brace.

Last but definitely not least the instructions that come with the unit do not accurately represent the hardware that included. Case and Point: the pictures show straight bars across the back between the roll bar attachments. Reality, the bars have 2" offset bends in them and the bars are universal so you are left guessing as to which way the offset should be placed. There are 4 possible scenarios that they can possibly be configured into and still fit. The correct answer is that the offsets go toward the back of the Slingshot. Additionally, the sequence of events do not match what is needed. The description of the hardware used is not clearly outlined. I thought about writing my own version up and selling it to them.

So if you venture down this path, know what you are getting yourself into. With luck, I will finish my tonight but will not have the center brace attached after grinding and cutting the "horse shoe" to make it at least attach to the lower dash but could not attach it to the upper brace. Hopefully, I will finish tonight.
Sounds like good quality control. You would think a manufacturer would check these items out before production.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
One of the things that we have to remember when buying aftermarket parts for the Slingshot is that they made for a OEM Slingshot setup. When you change one small part it changes lots of things with the that might interconnect. When ordering any part you need to let the seller know what your set up is. I have been dealing and watching 'deals' since Feb 2015... If you let them know they can tell you what works with what.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the same Stinger vs Stingray debate that started this thread for my 2019. In some way I would prefer the Stingray but went on a ride from Davis CA to New Orleans with my wife before this deployment and am not sure I would like it to rattle. I feel the front brace (since I have no radio in the S model) would be a little more structurally sound at speed than the scorpion tail like design of the Stinger but worry about rattles at speed for the Stingray and whether it locks in the back position easily and doesn't roll forward in a hard breaking situation.
The other reason is in the rare event of a roll over I like the forward support of the Stingray as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't have either of those, i have the canvas top.
There is absolutely no noise at speed. The framework makes for a nice handhold getting in and out. The top is low in the front which has been very good for blocking the setting sun when it is very blinding. It's very quick to put on or take off the canvas too.
Things to think about!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The stingray will rattle on dirt or bumpy roads however with a trained ear you can run them down & eliminate most of them. On the highway there is no noise.
My wife & I like the abilty to have sun or shade when & where we want. Being able to move them bacm also makes entry & exit so much easier.
I also found that a generic auto windshield mounted rear view mirrior base fits nicely inyo the pre-existing hole in the top of the dash board brace. It fits so snugly it doesn't need any screws or any other attachment devices. Further the mirror I found has map lights built in using a usb cable run down the brace & plugs into one of the usb ports in the glove box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you eliminate the rattles with your trained ear? do you tighten the wheels in question??
Yes & no the majority of the rattles are in the frame or attachment points. I have found some require changing or adding a washer. Some use a metal star or crush washet somer a rubber washer. The ear just locates the squeaky culprit.

As far as the roller carriage most of the rollers aren't tightend as they don't roll properly. Loctite, lock washers, lock nuts are your friends.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts