Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search and found no mention of these. Have anyone seen or hear of these?
I think the idea is quite unique, and I have ordered one to try out.

Mark and Angela have started this company and are making these windshields.
The windshield is intended to be adjusted while in motion. Making real-time airflow adjustments for cockpit occupants while you enjoy riding!! It raises the blade up off the hood-line from 0.0 to 2.25 inches which allows for easily adjusted airflow to cool off riders on those hot days. While fully down against the hood, a soft EDPM gasket seals off gap between blade and hood and keeps the Polycarbonate from scratching your fiberglass. This system offers 103 square inches of forced air flow.
Looks very interesting.

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,704 Posts
I remember him posting about it, I think, over a year ago. It is in one of the many threads on here. If you knew their screen name you could probably find it with a search. It's good to see they brought it to market. I hope they do well with it.

Be sure to give us your honest review when you get it @The Rush .

·
Registered
827 Posts
I am curious if the plexi angle brackets impede view at all. Seems nice. I like the on the fly adjustability of the windshield.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have the madstad 7" and I adjust it while I'm driving all the time. Would really like to see a review of this new product ; seems pretty neat.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Although I am over 6 ft, my arms aren't long enough to reach the passenger side adjuster on my MadStad shield while sitting in the driver's seat.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Although I am over 6 ft, my arms aren't long enough to reach the passenger side adjuster on my MadStad shield while sitting int he driver's seat.
I just leave the passenger side in the middle and adjust the driver side where ever I want. Plenty of flex for what I want.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I guess I'm too anally retentive to adjust just the side I'm actually using!:eek: I have to admit that it never even occurred to me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: This should arrive on wed or thur this week that is july 13th or 14th....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally was able to not only install this product but get a good ride in to test it.

I purchased this windshield as a beta tester. The manufacturer is looking for advice to improve a product they’ve designed before offering it to the general public in its final stage.

And let me start by saying if you are unable to change sparkplugs or drain your own oil, you might not want to get this UNLESS you have a professional install it.

That being said I come from a 4x4, Jeep background. We have a saying in the off-road world. “It is truly not yours till you have drilled holes in it.”

So if you are squeamish about putting holes in your $20K plus toy then phone a friend, hire a handyman, or wait till slingshotshields.com has an appearance at a show or rally, {because we all know that manufactures have no issue with free installs at shows!} Or if you are near North Carolina, drop me a line; I love drilling holes in other people’s stuff.

So onto the review:

A large brown box that was very well packaged and padded arrived. Upon opening it, I found a well wrapped windshield and a smaller box with assembly parts. My first impression of the windshield was that it was flimsy (not a bad thing, read on).

Now, let me explain. If you have ever bought a DIY bookcase or shelf system unassembled in a box from a big box store and went home to assemble it, you start putting your bookcase shelf, desk , etc. together and you think I got ripped off. The thing is wobbling and looks like if your cat landed on the top, the whole thing would just fall in pieces…until you get all those pieces together, and then you have your 50” TV, game system, DVD, stereo, etc. on the darn thing for years to come.

Well, that is like this windshield.

You look at just the plastic polycarbonate windshield and think, darn, this thing is just not going to work. But once you have the supports in place and the windshield gets that nice bow to it—this thing is an engineering marvel--you see the way it fits into place and how ridged it becomes. This is accomplished with the aid of a center post and adjuster (which is kind of the heart of the system) and two hinged side-supports. The center post is fully assembled and pretty straight-forward to install. Mine came with two half dollar-ish size pieces of polycarbonate to run the bolt through to add rigidity to the plastic in the center of the dash.

Now comes the fun part, mark, measure and drill the appropriate hole on both sides of the dash and run this nut-zert type insert into the hole with the included tool (and your drill).

Then you just screw in the two side-supports to attach the windshield. I started at the middle and then went on to the sides. When you get to the second side, you notice that bow I mentioned earlier. Give everything a good snug, and you’re done.

So what you want to know is, “Does it work?”

Well the short answer is YES.

Let me give you my observations from the short 200 miles I have ridden with it.

Today was around 90 degrees with a good bit of humidity. Knowing this, the ride started early and we headed to the Boone, Blue Ridge Parkway area. It is cooler in the mountains. The windshield is in the down position, and the slingshot is acting like it has the factory blade windshield installed. Towards the afternoon we start heading home, we decrease in altitude and increase in heat and humidity, so we open up the twist and tilt.

Now, this is hard to explain. Yes, I feel wind, cool wind rolling from what I can only guess is the top of the hood right under the windshield and into the cabin. Instantly, you notice a difference. But there is also a unique feeling in the way the air moves. When you ride with a windshield on the sling, to me, the cabin feels like a dead air space. There is no air movement on the seats around the lap area. But with the twist and tilt opening and that gap at the bottom, it is like the air dynamics have changed so that the cabin is in the slipstream of air and not so stagnant. I hope that makes sense.

I also tested it at speed and did a nice 40-plus mile straight run down the interstate with the cruise locked on 75 with no problems at all. In fact it was MORE pleasant to ride on the interstate at speed. I noticed a lot less strain from the wind (ie. it did not feel like it beat on you as bad). Also, I noticed no buffering or weird noises. As mentioned before by its creator, the windshield edges do move but no more than the fenders or any other part of the slingshot. I never felt like the product was loose, going to fly off, or fail in any way.

Overall I would say this is the best windshield I have bought as of yet.

If anyone would like a comparison, please send a similar product, and I will give it a head-to-head , unbiased challenge against this twist and tilt windshield. But, as it stands, this is the best windshield I have installed on my sling to date.

·
Super Moderator
5,855 Posts
Well I finally was able to not only install this product but get a good ride in to test it.

I purchased this windshield as a beta tester. The manufacturer is looking for advice to improve a product they’ve designed before offering it to the general public in its final stage.

And let me start by saying if you are unable to change sparkplugs or drain your own oil, you might not want to get this UNLESS you have a professional install it.

That being said I come from a 4x4, Jeep background. We have a saying in the off-road world. “It is truly not yours till you have drilled holes in it.”

So if you are squeamish about putting holes in your $20K plus toy then phone a friend, hire a handyman, or wait till slingshotshields.com has an appearance at a show or rally, {because we all know that manufactures have no issue with free installs at shows!} Or if you are near North Carolina, drop me a line; I love drilling holes in other people’s stuff.

So onto the review:

A large brown box that was very well packaged and padded arrived. Upon opening it, I found a well wrapped windshield and a smaller box with assembly parts. My first impression of the windshield was that it was flimsy (not a bad thing, read on).

Now, let me explain. If you have ever bought a DIY bookcase or shelf system unassembled in a box from a big box store and went home to assemble it, you start putting your bookcase shelf, desk , etc. together and you think I got ripped off. The thing is wobbling and looks like if your cat landed on the top, the whole thing would just fall in pieces…until you get all those pieces together, and then you have your 50” TV, game system, DVD, stereo, etc. on the darn thing for years to come.

Well, that is like this windshield.

You look at just the plastic polycarbonate windshield and think, darn, this thing is just not going to work. But once you have the supports in place and the windshield gets that nice bow to it—this thing is an engineering marvel--you see the way it fits into place and how ridged it becomes. This is accomplished with the aid of a center post and adjuster (which is kind of the heart of the system) and two hinged side-supports. The center post is fully assembled and pretty straight-forward to install. Mine came with two half dollar-ish size pieces of polycarbonate to run the bolt through to add rigidity to the plastic in the center of the dash.

Now comes the fun part, mark, measure and drill the appropriate hole on both sides of the dash and run this nut-zert type insert into the hole with the included tool (and your drill).

Then you just screw in the two side-supports to attach the windshield. I started at the middle and then went on to the sides. When you get to the second side, you notice that bow I mentioned earlier. Give everything a good snug, and you’re done.

So what you want to know is, “Does it work?”

Well the short answer is YES.

Let me give you my observations from the short 200 miles I have ridden with it.

Today was around 90 degrees with a good bit of humidity. Knowing this, the ride started early and we headed to the Boone, Blue Ridge Parkway area. It is cooler in the mountains. The windshield is in the down position, and the slingshot is acting like it has the factory blade windshield installed. Towards the afternoon we start heading home, we decrease in altitude and increase in heat and humidity, so we open up the twist and tilt.

Now, this is hard to explain. Yes, I feel wind, cool wind rolling from what I can only guess is the top of the hood right under the windshield and into the cabin. Instantly, you notice a difference. But there is also a unique feeling in the way the air moves. When you ride with a windshield on the sling, to me, the cabin feels like a dead air space. There is no air movement on the seats around the lap area. But with the twist and tilt opening and that gap at the bottom, it is like the air dynamics have changed so that the cabin is in the slipstream of air and not so stagnant. I hope that makes sense.

I also tested it at speed and did a nice 40-plus mile straight run down the interstate with the cruise locked on 75 with no problems at all. In fact it was MORE pleasant to ride on the interstate at speed. I noticed a lot less strain from the wind (ie. it did not feel like it beat on you as bad). Also, I noticed no buffering or weird noises. As mentioned before by its creator, the windshield edges do move but no more than the fenders or any other part of the slingshot. I never felt like the product was loose, going to fly off, or fail in any way.

Overall I would say this is the best windshield I have bought as of yet.

If anyone would like a comparison, please send a similar product, and I will give it a head-to-head , unbiased challenge against this twist and tilt windshield. But, as it stands, this is the best windshield I have installed on my sling to date.
What othe windshield have you installed Rush?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts