Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals!

Hope you all had a wonderful thanksgiving with friends and family. Wanted to keep you all in the loop and give you a update on the turbo kit.

Original plan was to make a crazy kit from the start that would make an insane amount of HP. After talking to many potential customers and dealers the majority just want a small bump in HP. So we decided to wait until my personal slingshot arrives to build a monster. As with all customer vehicles I am very hesitant on pushing the limits. I would rather abuse mine than CT's in case something went wrong.

With that said we are building a stage 1 kit first. Stage 1 will be about in the range of 50 to 100 hp boost. we will know more once the kit is on the dyno and we dial in safe boost levels with good A/R's.

The concept with stage one is to be affordable with minimal modifications but have the potential to be stage two with just a few minor tweaks.

Most of you want something in the $3,000 -$4000 range. That is our goal with stage one. We will do our best to meet that range without compromising on material or quality. All I ask is please be patient as we put allot of engineering into our products and testing to ensure the end product is the best and will have zero problems.

We hope to have Ct's slingshot fired up by the end of the weekend. Once that is done we will do basic testing and move into tuning and testing. I can't give you an exact date when the kit will be ready but it won't be long. I will keep you all posted as we make new developments.

In the meantime PLEASE feel free to call with any questions, or if you just wanna talk shop!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I was perfectly calm until you posted this. NOW, I CANT WAIT!!!:D
I just knew after I met you guys the excitement levels were going to be difficult to contain.
So, if you hear some weirdo trying to get into your shop tonight, please don't shoot! It's just me:woot::woot:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hey guys and gals!

Hope you all had a wonderful thanksgiving with friends and family. Wanted to keep you all in the loop and give you a update on the turbo kit.

Original plan was to make a crazy kit from the start that would make an insane amount of HP. After talking to many potential customers and dealers the majority just want a small bump in HP. So we decided to wait until my personal slingshot arrives to build a monster. As with all customer vehicles I am very hesitant on pushing the limits. I would rather abuse mine than CT's in case something went wrong.

With that said we are building a stage 1 kit first. Stage 1 will be about in the range of 50 to 100 hp boost. we will know more once the kit is on the dyno and we dial in safe boost levels with good A/R's.

The concept with stage one is to be affordable with minimal modifications but have the potential to be stage two with just a few minor tweaks.

Most of you want something in the $3,000 -$4000 range. That is our goal with stage one. We will do our best to meet that range without compromising on material or quality. All I ask is please be patient as we put allot of engineering into our products and testing to ensure the end product is the best and will have zero problems.

We hope to have Ct's slingshot fired up by the end of the weekend. Once that is done we will do basic testing and move into tuning and testing. I can't give you an exact date when the kit will be ready but it won't be long. I will keep you all posted as we make new developments.

In the meantime PLEASE feel free to call with any questions, or if you just wanna talk shop!
The only thing I have to say to this is WOW
If only time can advance quicker.
This is going to be one hell of a Great job with the Kit

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was really hoping for a Stage one in the 2500 range as it is with many of the other Ecotech packages out there. But I will anxiously wait for your findings.
PS - not a complaint, just a comment
None taken. That has been discussed allot with my crew and others to come up with the best solution.

The cobalt kits well they are cobalt kits marketed to mostly kids. In no way do I mean this in a offensive/slandering way but the cobalt is a cheap car. If you look at other sport compacts with higher price tags and better build quality a 2500 turbo kit is unheard of in the automotive industry unless its a cheap kit that uses extremely cheap parts with little to no engineering. If you look at the companies that make the cheap kits look at the components and materials they are cheap. However their is a few companies who make high end kits with quality parts and good craftsmanship for the cobalt/le5 and those kits are 4k+

A good quality none Chinese turbo costs us about $700-1500 wholesale. That's just one of the components add the manifold, piping, couplers, clamps, intercooler, oil lines, filter, blow off valve etc and it starts to add up fast.

So with all that in mind and listing to you our customers we had to put the think tank on and make a quality kit that is engineered well, built with top end parts and material, but still be affordable and hit as close to that price point. We have found a solution for the stage 1 kit and it will still have the front mount intercooler etc and make good reliable power. Look at it like buying a SL vs a base the base might not have all the bling but it has all the bad ass in its core and if you want throw some money into it and bring it up to or past the SL package its easily up gradable.

Again I'm not one to bash a kid or anyone modding his cobalt, civic etc because I was that kid at one time and everyone has different tastes and goals. In the end we are all gear heads and the more of us as a whole the better.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was perfectly calm until you posted this. NOW, I CANT WAIT!!!:D
I just knew after I met you guys the excitement levels were going to be difficult to contain.
So, if you hear some weirdo trying to get into your shop tonight, please don't shoot! It's just me:woot::woot:
Well you know you're the only one that will be allowed to stop by anytime and look at all the top secret prototype parts;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
None taken. That has been discussed allot with my crew and others to come up with the best solution.

The cobalt kits well they are cobalt kits marketed to mostly kids. In no way do I mean this in a offensive/slandering way but the cobalt is a cheap car. If you look at other sport compacts with higher price tags and better build quality a 2500 turbo kit is unheard of in the automotive industry unless its a cheap kit that uses extremely cheap parts with little to no engineering. If you look at the companies that make the cheap kits look at the components and materials they are cheap. However their is a few companies who make high end kits with quality parts and good craftsmanship for the cobalt/le5 and those kits are 4k+

A good quality none Chinese turbo costs us about $700-1500 wholesale. That's just one of the components add the manifold, piping, couplers, clamps, intercooler, oil lines, filter, blow off valve etc and it starts to add up fast.

So with all that in mind and listing to you our customers we had to put the think tank on and make a quality kit that is engineered well, built with top end parts and material, but still be affordable and hit as close to that price point. We have found a solution for the stage 1 kit and it will still have the front mount intercooler etc and make good reliable power. Look at it like buying a SL vs a base the base might not have all the bling but it has all the bad ass in its core and if you want throw some money into it and bring it up to or past the SL package its easily up gradable.

Again I'm not one to bash a kid or anyone modding his cobalt, civic etc because I was that kid at one time and everyone has different tastes and goals. In the end we are all gear heads and the more of us as a whole the better.

The 2010 Cobalt SS was a pretty good car. Won many awards in the econo sport class. Its BASE price was 24 or 25k, and it had 260hp. Now granted, GM used the 2.0 liter engine I believe. The add on turbo kit offered by GM, however cheap, was still warranteed by GM as long as the dealer did the ECU swap or something of that nature.
The Cobalt was a suckie car when first introduced, but GM actually did right by it after a few years, too bad it had a bad rep from the early models.
No, Ive never owned one, just saying.....24k isnt exactly "cheap," and 260 hp out of a 2liter engine is pretty good.
Im not as familiar with any after market kits GM may have produced, but if they did the fact they would have to warranty them so cant be all bad.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2010 Cobalt SS was a pretty good car. Won many awards in the econo sport class. Its BASE price was 24 or 25k, and it had 260hp. Now granted, GM used the 2.0 liter engine I believe. The add on turbo kit offered by GM, however cheap, was still warranteed by GM as long as the dealer did the ECU swap or something of that nature.
The Cobalt was a suckie car when first introduced, but GM actually did right by it after a few years, too bad it had a bad rep from the early models.
No, Ive never owned one, just saying.....24k isnt exactly "cheap," and 260 hp out of a 2liter engine is pretty good.
Im not as familiar with any after market kits GM may have produced, but if they did the fact they would have to warranty them so cant be all bad.

I agree the 2.0 LNF turbo engine in the SS was a great bang for your buck. It's the after market kits for the LE5 that im referring to.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Turbo -
I get it and I fully understand and ultimately for me and many other reliability is key. We did not buy these to have them in the shop all the time, we bought them to ride. I was just agreeing with another tread I think you stared and at 2500.00 I think you will have major buy in, higher than that and things will get sparse for a 50HP gain.
I am still all in, but it was just a hope.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
@Turbosling I'm down in Iowa and once you have a kit I'd be interested in possibly getting one, but would be curious on what you guys would charge to do the install etc as well. Should I just wait to chat until you are done?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Turbosling I'm down in Iowa and once you have a kit I'd be interested in possibly getting one, but would be curious on what you guys would charge to do the install etc as well. Should I just wait to chat until you are done?
Stage one will be pretty straight forward to install. We have not calculated the actual time yet so I do not have a price. It will be very reasonable.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turbo -
I get it and I fully understand and ultimately for me and many other reliability is key. We did not buy these to have them in the shop all the time, we bought them to ride. I was just agreeing with another tread I think you stared and at 2500.00 I think you will have major buy in, higher than that and things will get sparse for a 50HP gain.
I am still all in, but it was just a hope.
With the design of stage 1 the kit should produce up to 100hp. That would be set depending on how much boost was ran. The limiting factor that we don't know yet is how much the stock injectors will handle. The kit components of stage 1 can easily support much higher than a 100hp bump, limiting factors is fuel setup and tune so if you ever wanted to up the hp bigger injectors and a tune is all you need.

I'll look into supercharging and see if that would be a cheaper option for lower power levels.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Stage one will be pretty straight forward to install. We have not calculated the actual time yet so I do not have a price. It will be very reasonable.
Awesome! Like many others I'm looking for the reasonable cost bump.....5th gear needs a little power love!

·
Registered
25 Posts
What turbo do you plan to run?

I think the Garrett GT28 family has some great options across a range of price points. I would think a ball bearing on low boost would be suffice to deliver 60-80whp and spool quick enough.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts