Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am prototyping a steering wheel lock that isn't huge like the Club. The only removable piece is about 6 inches...

What is everyone thoughts on something like that... Is there a need? How much do you think its worth? One part will permanently mount to the sling so its sturdy. It should work with all aftermarket steering wheels as well....

Open for comments!

Thx!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Not to wet anyone's Wheaties, but that cheap P.O.S. from China pictured above is going to take me under 3 seconds to bypass, and I'm not yanking your chain. Compared to stealing a vehicle that's nothing, and pretty much every thief knows that too. That's not to insult anyone who has it, it's really a testament to the owners not thinking like thieves at all, and I'll hoist a beer with you any time, especially since you're paying. (Or whiskey, I really like whiskey.)

The Club(tm) is another feel-good device criminals don't take seriously. You'll slow me down much more with this one, and I'll have to bring a tool. If I'm perfectly silent it'll take about 12 seconds, if I don't want to work at it and can make just a bit of noise figure about six.

Those handcuffs are great, I love them. Sexy, aren't they? They just scream "jail time," at least if you're not a criminal. Without even damaging your ride, it's five seconds to unlock both sides and dump them on the ground, with no vehicle damage, and no real tools to speak of.

Granted, if I'm drunk it'll take twice as long, I call that "the stagger factor."

You're way better off removing your steering wheel, putting in a brake line lock (preferably two), emergency brake lock, disk locks, and an alarm system with proximity and motion sensor--that's going to be more of a challenge, and unless I'm in your garage I'm not going to spend that much time figuring out how you made my job difficult, and really, probably not even then.

And I'm telling you this because I, like other owners, want you to stay on the rode and love your ride, every single day. You worked hard for it, you ought to get to enjoy it.

perfect.jpg

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
t... Is there a need? Thx!!!
To date, we have yet to hear of a single incident of a SlingShot actually being stolen? :confused:

On a more personal note, in our nearly 45 years each of vehicular ownership, we have yet to have any harm come to any of our vehicles, (living in Montana and Oregon?), otherwise, the reality is that if somebody did happen to steal or damage our SlingShot, a brand new replacement is only a couple of hours drive away, so worrying about our SlingShot getting stolen is very low on our priority list. :bored:

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Unfortunately there are way more SS owners than there are members of this forum. Just because a member or someone on one of the organized rides hasn't had it happen, doesn't mean is hasn't ever happened. People steal anything and everything. If not to resell, pawn or part out, then just for a joy ride. Not all of us live in the pristine suburbia you see on TV sitcoms or in some quaint small town where everybody knows everybody any you leave your doors unlocked.
At my place of employment, our night shift has had 3 cars stolen in about 10 years. All 3 of them were found between 20-50 miles away visually undamaged except for the mini-zip lock bags with a white powdery residue and some empty beer cans inside. They were either taken for a joy ride or some crack head just needed transportation to the next city. One was your stereotypical Honda Accord, one was a 4x4 Toyota pickup, and one was a Nissan 240 wannabe drift car. The 240 had a car alarm, but nobody was around to hear it. It's not much of a stretch to see an SS getting swiped from a parking lot or driveway.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You're right, Bill!

Come to think of it, to date, I have never had a house fire, yet I have smoke alarms & fire extinguishers. I guess the reality is that if my home burnt down I do have insurance.:bored:eek:_O:sour:

Robert

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
To date, we have yet to hear of a single incident of a SlingShot actually being stolen? :confused:
Maybe that's because your collective heads are buried in a flower pot [smelling the roses], don't know.

Slingshot thefts are rare, in Dallas TX one was stolen for a joyride (wreck resulted). As Slingshots fall out of warranty more will be stolen so parts can be offered on eBay to unsuspecting owners. Because owners typically visit Polaris authorized service centers instead of the dark-market garage, the parts distribution chain is mostly limited to online sales. (Comment based on RZR thefts and parts sales.)

So, flower benders, you've now heard of a single theft incident. (Feel free to keep your rose-colored glasses on.)

Side note: It's all in fun, I have nothing against flowers or the people who bend them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think some of us are only looking at extremes. For those that want to deter an uncommitted or unskilled thief almost any option is better than no option and for some of those individuals this option may give them the piece of mind they desire. Without a doubt no option is perfect in every scenario so just find what gives you that piece of mind, share with others, and ride on

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
So, flower benders, you've now heard of a single theft incident. (Feel free to keep your rose-colored glasses on.)
Thanks Hedehog, you have now pointed out a single instance of a SlingShot being stolen, we withdraw the question. :)

..........................otherwise, the reality is that if somebody did happen to steal or damage our SlingShot, a brand new replacement is only a couple of hours drive away, so worrying about our SlingShot getting stolen is very low on our priority list. :bored:

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Maybe that's because your collective heads are buried in a flower pot, don't know.

Slingshot thefts are rare, in Dallas TX one was stolen for a joyride (wreck resulted). As Slingshots fall out of warranty more will be stolen so parts can be offered on eBay to unsuspecting owners. Because owners typically visit Polaris authorized service centers instead of the dark-market garage, the parts distribution chain is mostly limited to online sales. (Comment based on RZR thefts and parts sales.)

Side note: It's all in fun, I have nothing against flowers.
Thank you! Now we "have heard of ONE". We can eliminate that retort. ;) Like I posted above. We don't all live in safe areas. It's not like the SS is criminal repellant. It's just a matter of time before a member is affected. Even if is to just come out one morning and find your ignition chewed up by a screw driver. Also, Lol...."flower benders" hehe

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kinda wanted opinions on a new product, not a argument how easy it is to steal one. Products like these are simple deterrents for the avg asshole who wants to fuck with your sling. Lets release the parking break and see what happens type scenario. I am not sure how the alarms work, but if I am familiar with the SS, 4 screws to access the battery and then 'snip' no alarm.

What we are working on is a steering column lock that is mounted to the SS. When you unlock it, you only have a 4" item to carry with you or stow, no huge device like the first reply...

Alarms on these are a joke as there is no hood or battery compartment lock. I am not sure, but what happens if someone takes a drill bit thru the battery?

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
If my battery is disconnected, my alarm system goes off. It has a battery backup. (Scorpio i900 with perimeter sensor)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If my battery is disconnected, my alarm system goes off. It has a battery backup. (Scorpio i900 with perimeter sensor)
Thats good to know... On the older systems they didnt have a back up... Raise you hands if you remember the car alarms with the key on the front fender to turn on/off

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
I kinda wanted opinions on a new product, not a argument how easy it is to steal one. Products like these are simple deterrents for the avg asshole who wants to fuck with your sling. Lets release the parking break and see what happens type scenario. I am not sure how the alarms work, but if I am familiar with the SS, 4 screws to access the battery and then 'snip' no alarm.

What we are working on is a steering column lock that is mounted to the SS. When you unlock it, you only have a 4" item to carry with you or stow, no huge device like the first reply...

Alarms on these are a joke as there is no hood or battery compartment lock. I am not sure, but what happens if someone takes a drill bit thru the battery?
Aye mate, sorry 'bout that. What was that part about messing with ladies' posteriors? Right got me attention there!

Them new squawkers pick up on vibrations, so if you're gonna go for a screw, best bag 'er in a telly.

Now, if ya got a wanker puttin' your stop arm in a dangle, he's right fit to be clobbered.

Sorry you're only totin' 4", hear they make a pump for that.

e5698eee461b8e02c6c7369f8fa3a602[1].jpg

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aye mate, sorry 'bout that. What was that part about messing with ladies' posteriors? Right got me attention there!

Them new squawkers pick up on vibrations, so if you're gonna go for a screw, best bag 'er in a telly.

Now, if ya got a wanker puttin' your stop arm in a dangle, he's right fit to be clobbered.

Sorry you're only totin' 4", hear they make a pump for that.

View attachment 81633
4 Inches Wide that is

1 - 16 of 16 Posts