Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Max might work for CanAm, or maybe he is trying to generate a few cancellations so he can move up the list.:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Max wanted me to post this here in this thread........

I just want to note I was two minutes away from taking possession of a Slingshot SL. I was next on the list in Simi Valley CA. Nice dealership even though they were charging a 10% premium of $2400.00 because of the demand. I went on the test drive and there were some pros and cons but nothing was more important than the fact it was so fun to drive- until I realized the one thing that made me decide to return my deposit. When you look under the hood, the muffler has a pipe that extends out only about 6 or so inches. This is, of course, the exhaust which makes the car move forward. (I am overstating the obvious in case someone does not know what an exhaust is). The problem with this exhaust system is it is literally pointed directly at the passenger and driver. If you are looking for yourself, open the hood and look on the passenger side. The muffler and pipe are located directly in front of the passenger an you will notice the pipe is pointed in between both driver and passenger. I noticed on my test drive this smell of gasoline. I wasn't a smell of pure gasoline but the kind of smell you would notice if going go cart racing. If you have ever been to Disneyland, Autopia the ride is a perfect example. This was a deal breaker for me because my stomach started "turning." It was gross. I only noticed the smell when the Slingshot was in the idle position waiting for a light to change. The dealer told me there was a local metalworker who was one of the first to own one and is planning on modifying his so as to push the exhaust away from the driver and passenger. If there are enough complaints, Polaris will be required to modify this problem at no charge. It is a serious health issue and should not be ignored. The second this problem is dealt with, I will be the first in line to buy one.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Max wanted me to post this here in this thread........

I just want to note I was two minutes away from taking possession of a Slingshot SL. I was next on the list in Simi Valley CA. Nice dealership even though they were charging a 10% premium of $2400.00 because of the demand. I went on the test drive and there were some pros and cons but nothing was more important than the fact it was so fun to drive- until I realized the one thing that made me decide to return my deposit. When you look under the hood, the muffler has a pipe that extends out only about 6 or so inches. This is, of course, the exhaust which makes the car move forward. (I am overstating the obvious in case someone does not know what an exhaust is). The problem with this exhaust system is it is literally pointed directly at the passenger and driver. If you are looking for yourself, open the hood and look on the passenger side. The muffler and pipe are located directly in front of the passenger an you will notice the pipe is pointed in between both driver and passenger. I noticed on my test drive this smell of gasoline. I wasn't a smell of pure gasoline but the kind of smell you would notice if going go cart racing. If you have ever been to Disneyland, Autopia the ride is a perfect example. This was a deal breaker for me because my stomach started "turning." It was gross. I only noticed the smell when the Slingshot was in the idle position waiting for a light to change. The dealer told me there was a local metalworker who was one of the first to own one and is planning on modifying his so as to push the exhaust away from the driver and passenger. If there are enough complaints, Polaris will be required to modify this problem at no charge. It is a serious health issue and should not be ignored. The second this problem is dealt with, I will be the first in line to buy one.
What?! Wait... Im still confused. So there is an exhaust on this machine and it puts out an odor that doesnt smell like roses and lavender?!?

Must be a California thing. I havent had anyone riding with me comment on the smell. I was surprised how much it didnt smell.

·
Registered
426 Posts
LOL ! ! ! Sounds very familiar as I took my SS by A local sound and audio shop to get my watchdog alarm system and remote start installed.
And I got the code shoulder from the owner immediately upon arrival he saw me pull up to the front door and he walked right past me and did not even look my way so after about five minutes mailing a round in his shop, I saw one in their glass case exactly like the one I purchased so instead of asking him to install mine I ask The inpatient owner how much it would be to install that watchdog in my vehicle. He replied I would not put that in your vehicle I explained why? He said if it was he is he might attempt it so politely ask what about one of those sound systems even more insistently he said no! It was apparent he was really jealous of that SS in his front door!
With his customers walking out the door to take a look.
So I politely talk to his customers and did a burnout in front of his business LOL !!!!!!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
"The exhaust which makes the car move forward" so the exhaust pressure is propelling the SS forward? Buwahahaha makes perfect sense. Driving in CA Traffic IS health hazard :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts