2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
785 Posts
image.jpeg
Maybe this might apply !

Reactions: DKF Texas

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
No, they start targeting people with nice cars...who ironically pay the majority share of their salary and most likely commit less crime.
Why bring up the "pay their salary"...our taxes pay for many services provided by "government" including "nice" cars for people that collect a government check yet don't contribute a dime...i.e. welfare "check"...

·
I may not be right but I can sound like it
4,534 Posts
I got one even better - the government has figured out how to double (or triple or quadruple) dip. Toll roads are in most major metropolitan areas now where they charge us to ride on roads we pay for to start with. Then add an at the pump gas tax & a speeding violation and they are makin a KILLIN giving them more money to squander.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Cops that write Speeding tickets I have found are mostly the dorks of the force . The great cops chase bad guys and the less than bright that should be working fast food anyway works speeding enforcement.
totally wrong ; their productivity is based on their stats at the end of the month and this means all of them. The ones on special assignment are exempted. Goofy azz rumors like this help no one.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Heres a good one ; the sunshine parkway toll road now charges tax on the toll. It even says this up on the signs ; 6cents tax. They can do this with ease as most use the sunpass or easy pass. Yep a tax on a tax.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Why would police do this unless they're on the quota system. There would be no incentive otherwise.

Re: quotas, how "it's done" is almost never: "Your quota is $9,000 in tickets per month," that's often illegal depending on state laws. It's, "In the effort of enhancing public safety, our department believes a reasonable goal is to intercept approximately 3 persons exceeding the posted legal speed limit per shift." Less than that results in a lack of performance review, more than that a commendation for efficiency. This is not standardized, a department may have a twenty-twenty policy (larger or smaller depending on the size of the city and if officers are specifically traffic duty or mixed). This relates to twenty moving and twenty non-moving "contacts" (that means "citations") per month. Some departments hate non-moving violations because that's typically parking, and unless they have tow-and-stow it's just a mess of complainers with no revenue. Other departments (*cough* New York, Chicago, LA, Philly St. Louis, *cough*) make a killing. Really small departments have become focused (dependent) on "citation revenue figures" (ticket-based income). There's no commission, heavens no, but it is understood if that revenue stream were to become reduced the department would face "personnel cutbacks."

On the parking scheme, big cities have them. Tavern just over from a hair salon with a run-down laundromat between. Salon is open during the day, demos the laundromat and paves a really nice parking lot, pulls permits and puts up $10,000 in lights, and a sign on the salon that says "Customers Only" blah blah blah. Bait car is parked next to the bar, maybe it's a favorite patron that never gets towed, maybe the tow guys like the color of the car, whatever. Salon closes at 7, by 8 is empty, but the bait car is there, in a prime parking spot next to the bar. A brave soul sees it, parks for 30 minutes, leaves. Other people see him/her leave, the bait car there, ah, great parking--snag! The street is full, others see the cars, fill up the lot. Tow company that owns the building the salon rents from pulls in with three trucks, snatches three cars, nobody is the wiser. $120 tow fee + $120 lot fee per day each. They come back, if the lot is packed pick three more, if not, hit the next lot. Do this at random so the patrons brush it off as somebody else's bad luck.

Do cities get in on the game? Check into "street sweeping days." The rules aren't posted and will get your metal towed, even if you park after the sweeper finished the block. Offices closed on weekends, so you get to pay the storage fee if snagged on a Friday, or around a federal holiday. Have an outstanding fine, gotta pay up, plus a processing fee. Don't know to add the fees in yourself, manually? Should have called down to City Hall, they'd help answer all your questions--or rather the one woman on staff would, when she's not busy doing other things, like taking a break--also called "filing paperwork."

Fines (car bail) have to be paid in cash. What? Who takes cash these days? So, wait in line. Hopefully you didn't drive there, because if you did, you're screwed. Same with fighting it in court, you leave to plug the meter, they call your name, you're plugging the meter....they rule in favor of themselves, case closed. Go back out to the meter and find you're ticketed again: 1-hour parking is just that, gotta move the car after an hour (or less) so someone else can have the spot. Cha-ching, your pockets have been laundered.

So the next time someone tries to hand you that steaming pile of cow-plop regarding "no quota" and "fair parking restrictions," you'll know better.

Can you post a link to the source of the article?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Cops that write Speeding tickets I have found are mostly the dorks of the force . The great cops chase bad guys and the less than bright that should be working fast food anyway works speeding enforcement.
As a Sheriff, not a deputy, but the SHERIFF, I find this comment interesting. You probably wish or strive to work at a fast food joint.... I'll take fries with that, thank you sir:D
I was an Illinois trooper early in life, started in district 15 before being transferred to district 10. Eventually I left the State Police and took a position as the Chief of a dept, not an officer, the Chief. I can tell you that dinger's remark about the dorks getting traffic duty isn't too far from the truth. We always called them the "Gunzo's" the ticket writing best befit their personality type and tempered their enthusiasm a bit. Once they learned to calm down, we'd give em a few more bullets and let them respond to real calls.

Like dinger, I too spent time as an officer in a medium security facility in Illinois and working the confines of a prison or jail can be more dangerous or nerve racking than working the streets. I have numerous friends that worked the streets of Chicago and did their 30 and out without ever drawing their weapon, let alone firing it in the line of duty.

Unfortunately these days, there are far more "Gunzo's" out on the streets than in the old days. To make matters worse, municipalities with tight budgets seem to like to evoke the old "In the public interest" to justify their policies.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Part of my job for 24 years was as a defensive driving instructor for a large transportation company. We taught the safest speed as being keeping up with the flow of traffic. Too slow causes accidents. Conversely, we all wanted to teach that speeding caused more accidents but there wasn't a successful study on this, logically more damage will occur but not necessarily more accidents. So the crux of this discussion falls to is extreme enforcement safer or is it a revenue source? Imagine that NC actually enforced this as first written. As more slow down significantly below the flow, more abrupt passing takes place, hence less safe. Also, drivers start dividing their attention off road looking for cruisers, also, less safe. More vehicles on side of road = more accidents. There are many inconsistent traffic laws and enforcements. Speed limits and enforcement in many areas are more politically driven than for any rule of safety. There are state roads in Florida where there are something like 40 speed limit changes in a 50 mile stretch. Locally, we have 3 agencies ticketing speeders, town police, county deputies and state troopers. There have been years where they have given more speeding tickets then there are licensed drivers in our county. Not only have we seen a marked uptick in accidents but it's now one of the worst counties in the state. The ticketing purges started back when it was one of the safest counties.
You can't blame the individual police, they're just doing their job as they're told.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There was an increased presence of troopers on the interstates on Friday around Charlotte, all had people pulled over. Today, seems back to normal

·
Registered
133 Posts
As a Sheriff, not a deputy, but the SHERIFF, I find this comment interesting. You probably wish or strive to work at a fast food joint.... I'll take fries with that, thank you sir:D
A friend of mine became a cop and I couldn't believe how little they are paid. I think he could make more money working at a fast food joint. It's scary to me to think that a job with so much responsability and power is paid so little. Makes me wonder what kind of people are sitting in cop cars all across the country. Most smart, upstanding, morally straight people will leave and move on to something else that pays a liveable wage. That's what my buddy did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a "crackdown" in NC this week. If you are going even 1 MPH over the posted limit, you will get a ticket. I think it's going on until April 1.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts