Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to record decent audio of Slingshot rides, I made an interesting discovery. I don't think the loud noise we hear while driving is the transmission, transfer case, or belt drive.

The universal joint is located directly below the second cup holder, very close to it. The drain hole in the cup holder lets the sound through. Then the cup holder acts as a megaphone and amplifies the u-joint noise.

Now that I think about it, when my wife and I have our Slingshot mugs in the cup holders the noise doesn't seem as loud. I will have to test that next time I record.

This also means that the drain hole in the second cup holder drains water directly onto the universal joint. We should keep an eye on them for rust. Maybe more lube would quiet them?

Ride safe,
Jim

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Jim, if the universal has been lubed at reasonable intervals, doubt it will make noise. Would guess what you are hearing is the angle drive which is only inches back from the universal. Most AD's make some noise; some more than others.

I've been told not to put too much lube in the universal joint that it pushes out the rubber bushings.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Irregardless of which is generating the noise, the noise is coming in from the cup holder.

I did some more recording today and I blocked off the cup holder with a sling-mug stuffed tightly with cotton. The noise was hardly noticeable. While yesterday it was very loud, often drowning out the engine.

The point I was trying to make is that if you don't use the cup holders blocking them off will cut down on the noise.

And, I wasn't suggesting to over lube the universal joint. I was suggesting that if you don't want the outside of the u-joint or the outside of the bearing caps to get rusted you might keep an eye on them and maybe give the outside a thin coat of WD-40 or oil.

And yeah, I know, you will tell me that a little rust on the outside of the u-joint is no big deal. While that may be true, up to a point, many of us feel that rust should be avoided whenever possible. Once started and unchecked, rust can quickly take over.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Seeing lube come out of the u-joint seals is how you know you put in enough fresh grease.

As far as angle drive noise, Polaris made a conscious decision to save money and use a nosier design for the angle drive gears. Shortly after purchasing my 2015 Slingshot, I received a survey from Polaris and one of the questions specifically asked if I would be willing to pay $1000 more for a quieter angle drive design.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Irregardless of which is generating the noise, the noise is coming in from the cup holder.

I did some more recording today and I blocked off the cup holder with a sling-mug stuffed tightly with cotton. The noise was hardly noticeable. While yesterday it was very loud, often drowning out the engine.

The point I was trying to make is that if you don't use the cup holders blocking them off will cut down on the noise.

And, I wasn't suggesting to over lube the universal joint. I was suggesting that if you don't want the outside of the u-joint or the outside of the bearing caps to get rusted you might keep an eye on them and maybe give the outside a thin coat of WD-40 or oil.

And yeah, I know, you will tell me that a little rust on the outside of the u-joint is no big deal. While that may be true, up to a point, many of us feel that rust should be avoided whenever possible. Once started and unchecked, rust can quickly take over.

Ride safe.
Jim, I have my sling about a year now. Although the noise level seems to vary. At first i would say that mine was very high. As the belt and angle drive wore in it reduced signifigantly. So much that after a year and just a bit over 3000 miles I'm fine riding with the radio off and conversing with a pasinger. I wasn't pleased but gave it time and glad I did. It really did break-in much better!

As with you i hate corrosion but suggest reviewing the idea of spraying beaing caps with WD40. It can work its way into bearing cavities and breakdown the origional grease. WD40 displces moisture but it has different lubricating properties than intended lubricants.

Hope with time yours breaks in as well as mine!

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts