Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you check on other posts you'll find a lot of comments about this. Just got mine Thursday and ' yes; it does howl/whine up to 4th. Some think it's the belt being too loose or the right angle gear. Mine sounds like it coming from underneath the vehicle ; not the rear. I think it's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yup, mine whines like my ex-wife, but just like her, I ignore it and it seems to go away. actually there are a couple of noises you might hear, I believe most of the gear whine is from the bevel right angle drive that then goes on to drive the belt. I have had five new Harley's all belt drive and I cant say I ever heard a Harley belt sound like this at all, they were for the most part silent. And a Harley belt is also run tight, just like these are supposed to be. There were also complaints about gear noise in the Harley transmissions and you will hear arguments all over the place that this oil or that oil will make that noise go away. I ran Redline oil in mine was was pleased with it,,,was it quieter? It may have seemed like it to me, but it also could have been my imagination. The gear drive on my SL seems to whine more when it is cold, then seems to quite down. One other thing that was brought to my attention, my buddy who rode mine home for me also has had two Can Ams including a new 2014. He said he could hear belt slap under certain conditions. He said he heard the same thing on the SL, I did hear a rather weird noise several times and that could have been belt slap, belt hitting the guard, and that belt it tight! But it will flex and move up and down some, even as tight as it is. You will know it if you hear it most likely.
Tom

·
Registered
166 Posts
My transmission howls badly in second and third gears. Or is it something else that I am hearing?
Picked up my SL last week and the angle drive groans and howls as if the gears aren't shimmed so the bevel gear isn't meshing correctly on acceleration mostly. It calms down above 50 mph in high gear. Driving in the lower gears is deafening and actually overpowers the radio. Sounds junky..

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's funny, but most guys would gladly spend 4k or 5k for the whine of a supercharger. Here Polaris gives us a nice whine and didn't charge any extra for it, and we're all bitching.
Wouldn't really mind if the whine was a constant because of straight cut gets or whatever, but this is low scratching growl only in the lower gears under 50mph.. Climbing a hill its unbearable totally drowns out not only the radio but the engine as well... Over 50 its quiet ... A nice steady whine would be nice.. Have driven other SS and the sound is very acceptable...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know I'm going to love hearing mine when the turbo starts to spool up and the t-rex next to me wonders WTF I have under the hood!!!
Put a turbo on this puppy and you better have a 14 in. wide slick on the back.. You can break the stock tire lose by just standing on it in first or second a little too much...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It will accelerate so quickly in those gears, the damn Florida Love Bugs will fly off the windscreen and land on the t-rex......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Transmission utilizes spiral bevel gear set. These will be loud at high rpm even if the tranny is lubed with high viscosity oil. They are loudest when first wearing in to the tooth pattern. Former gear salesman and engineer. If you have to make a 90 degree turn you will have to deal with the issue. Don't forget that there is also a belt involved and attention to alignment and tension is going to be important to maintain our slingshots. The harder they are pushed, the shorter the belt and bevel set life.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Transmission utilizes spiral bevel gear set. These will be loud at high rpm even if the tranny is lubed with high viscosity oil. They are loudest when first wearing in to the tooth pattern. Former gear salesman and engineer. If you have to make a 90 degree turn you will have to deal with the issue. Don't forget that there is also a belt involved and attention to alignment and tension is going to be important to maintain our slingshots. The harder they are pushed, the shorter the belt and bevel set life.
Hi Norm,
The gear set actually gets nearly completely quiet over 50mph and under very little load.. The sound is intermittent during acceleration, and sometimes non-existant.. Climb a long grade in the lower gears and it is unbearable, and like you mentioned, when accelerating and turning at the same time will bring it on..
I would have believed that it was a common sound from the gear set except I have driven other SS's and the trans/belt noise is completely normal and acceptable.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I drove mine again on Xmas day. The whine is now constant when accelerating through all gears or anytime you hit the gas.
You and I need to meet up next week on a dry day for lunch or something. What dealer did u get yours at.??
I drove one yesterday with virtually no gear growl at all, just a pleasant whine like any belt drive would have.

Keep an eye on the weather. I am retired so anytime is good for me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Transmission utilizes spiral bevel gear set.
Transmission, or bevel drive? If the latter, curious how you know what's inside.

I would have believed that it was a common sound from the gear set except I have driven other SS's and the trans/belt noise is completely normal and acceptable.
This is new information, at least to me.

So there's hope that this can be addressed.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts