Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose I did not make my self very clear, when I say can the Slingshot be towed , I don't mean on a trailer. I mean behind a motor home were I will not a place for trailer at my destination.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't see why not, you can tow a Solstice so the engine/trans has no issues with towing, and I doubt anything will happen with the bevel or belt since they will be moving in the same direction as when you are driving.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
If I can rig up a method of hooking up the Slingshot to be towed using an A-frame tow-bar, with all 3 wheels in contact w/the ground, that would certainly seem to be the cheapest method of hauling the Slingshot. Assuming I can find someone to attach some detachable tow-bar mountings for a few hundred, I would be able to tow the Slingshot for under $500 as opposed to forking out a minimum of $2500 to around $7K or so to use a flatbed trailer. The Aluma 7712 trailer someone here mentioned costs around $2700 and a Featherlite 14ft trailer I checked into locally costs over $6K. Big difference in cost. I just wonder if the belt should be disconnected or can we just tow it in neutral?

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you are going to flat tow the unit, I would definitely remove or disconnect the belt from the rear sprocket. I'm not sure if you could tie it up out of the way of the rear sprocket without removing it completely. I wouldn't want the extra wear on the rear differential or belt from the belt turning it all the time.

Stephen

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I would still only tow it on a trailer. If you have room to park the SS you should have room to park the trailer. Even if you have to occupy the same space for both.
Just because I have room to park an additional vehicle doesn't necessarily mean I have space for a trailer, too. Do you mean storing the trailer above the Slingshot? I've actually thought about doing that, but I think I'll constantly be bumping my head every time I walk thru the carport. It might be OK for me to bump my head, but woe be unto me if my Wife bumped hers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am thinking of building a simple hitch to lift the rear wheel and attach that to my car trailer hitch then,and tow the SS backwards with the 2 front wheels on the ground. OR, get a less expensive tow dolly and build a wheel tray in the middle for the rear wheel.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
The only problem I see with adapting a standard tow dolly to hold the rear wheel is the height will place the lower front wing dangerously close to the pavement.
If you haven't already, check out Ribrunner's tow dolly here -http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/can-the-ss-be-towed-using-a-car-dolly.1971/#post-69889 Very well done and even has a pivot mount for the rear tire to better handle turning w/o stress of the rear tire and assembly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts