Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen on here that not very many people on here are fond of the 4 wheel conversion but I'm curious about it and I seen a company called Trac hamr the only contact information I seen on them is through their website and I've messaged them several times already but have not got a response does anyone know anything about this company?

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
First I've heard of them. Found their website. In Michigan. Wonder how much they charge? Like the retention of the safety controls.
The only companies I knew were doing the conversion were Bullet Speed and Design (Florida) and DDM Works (South Carolina).

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,833 Posts
Sent off for more info. I have been hearing rumors of a company out of Chino, CA that also does the conversion for $5600, but I can't find any info to back it up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There may be an issue with registering the vehicle with DMV. With a 4th wheel it is no longer an autocycle and can not be registered as either a motor cycle or an autocycle. Perhaps a kit car but unsure if all DMV offices would accept it as that. Would like to hear from someone who has done this.
At one time I had thought about the conversion prior to purchasing and contacted Buller Speed and Design and looked at their proto type on line but after checking into registering it I decided it would be too much hassle and once I got the SS I lost interest with going to 4 wheels...

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,833 Posts
There may be an issue with registering the vehicle with DMV. With a 4th wheel it is no longer an autocycle and can not be registered as either a motor cycle or an autocycle. Perhaps a kit car but unsure if all DMV offices would accept it as that. Would like to hear from someone who has done this.
At one time I had thought about the conversion prior to purchasing and contacted Buller Speed and Design and looked at their proto type on line but after checking into registering it I decided it would be too much hassle and once I got the SS I lost interest with going to 4 wheels...
In Colorado, there are no inspections. Once it's registered the DMV/State wouldn't need to ever see it again to re-register it. The only concern I have is if I get pulled over. Reality is though, most officers in the area have no idea what the Slingshot is still...there are only about 120 in the state. 40 in my local area. I definitely need the traction, but not sure if it would be worth the hassle. Waiting for a response to see what it actually costs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Br,
I hear you but if you do get stopped by a cop who knows what it is and the law, it could be a real pita.
Not saying it is not worth the effort as you know your area.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,833 Posts
Br,
I hear you but if you do get stopped by a cop who knows what it is and the law, it could be a real pita.
Not saying it is not worth the effort as you know your area.
It's my biggest concern. Although from the limited reaction I have had from LEO's, I think I would be good to go. I have passed a few LEO's, while speeding, and all I have gotten are thumbs ups. Now that I say that...I am sure I just jinxed myself lol.

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
573 Posts
I like the idea of 4 wheel. It does away with the angle drive and will give better traction but the "maybe legal" issue as well as the over 5 grand price would not be worth it for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NC once its registered you just pay the fees and taxes each year. The county i live in only has a safety inspection and I have 2 buddies that own a garage so I'm not worried about that. I like the look of the 4 wheel conversion and I have real traction issues with the turbo or maybe its just my left foot lol. If i run into a cop that thats what he pulled me over for I'm fine with what ever ticket he wants to give me.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Good luck and would like to hear once you have it done.
If you ever do get ticketed which I think would be highly doubtful I would like to hear about it so others can have info on what happens. I just hope if you do get a ticket that they do not mandate an inspection to see the the concern corrected.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I can find a reasonable bolt on kit I may consider it. I paid $15,000 for my 2015 slingshot used with 7500 miles on it with an alpha stage 1 turbo kit on it I can't justify spending another $10,000 just to put one more wheel on it lol. I'm actually a pretty good fabricator If can't figure something out that may be a winter project for me I know they use an infinity rear end on most of the ones that I've seen. The Trac hamr it appealed to me because it said it used off-the-shelf GM parts.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Definitions of a motorcycle and autocycle in Oregon:

Motorcycle

"Motorcycle" means any self-propelled vehicle other than a moped or farm tractor that:
(1) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
(2) Is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels; and
(3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. [1983 c.338 §63]

Autocycle

“Autocycle” means a motorcycle that:
(1) Is manufactured to travel on three wheels;
(2) Has a steering wheel for steering control;
(3) Has nonstraddle seating; and
(4) Is equipped with a manufacturer-installed three-point safety belt or safety harness. [2017 c.296 §2]

The definition of an autocycle in Florida is even more specific. I would suspect that the other states have similar definitions? Presently on a sister forum there are some that are stating that a done at home, bolt on, 4-wheel modification of the SlingShot would be exempt from these regulations? :confused:

Bill

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I'd hope that given the availability of used GM components, the total cost might be affordable. It will be interesting to see how much their product sells for.
From the Trakhamr description - "Installs with simple hand tools in a single day". I wonder if it requires installation at their shop or if it's something a DIYer can handle?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think for a fabricator or someone who has access to a garage then the conversion is doable and legal.
Most states allow for a kit car such as an Ariel Atom. The only stipulation is that you put the vehicle or some parts of it together yourself and it not be turn key. The Atom is sold that way. They will send you a body fairly well assembled and you install the engine. I would imagine that the conversion would be the same as long as you assembled the parts. Most states allow for a kit car as well as aircraft in most states.
If the OP has the skills and purchases the parts separate from the vehicle then assembles them himself, I do not see why this would not qualify as a kit car and be legal. I would check the states definition of a kit or experimental car in the state in which you live.. After giving this thought, I think it is doable..

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'd hope that given the availability of used GM components, the total cost might be affordable. It will be interesting to see how much their product sells for.
From the Trakhamr description - "Installs with simple hand tools in a single day". I wonder if it requires installation at their shop or if it's something a DIYer can handle?
With that said, I bet you can source the "GM off the shelf parts" cheaper on your own than with Trak Hamr's markup. It would be really inexpensive if Trak Hamr just supplies you with the few custom parts, a shopping list, and instructions. ;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Autocycle

“Autocycle” means a motorcycle that:
(1) Is manufactured to travel on three wheels;
(2) Has a steering wheel for steering control;
If I were a lawyer, and I'm not... I'd argue that 'manufactured' does not mean 'not modifiable' or 'cannot be changed'. Just that it has 3 wheels as designed from the factory.

That said.... I'd love to replace the angle drive with a drive shaft, but like the SS the way it is with 3 wheels. That was a big part of the appeal.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Since the SlingShot is already classified as a motorcycle from the manufacturer, and some states are allowing it to be classified as an autocycle because it is three-wheeled, would states allow someone to install this kit and then simply re-register the SlingShot as a kit car? For some reason I am dubious?

Bill

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,833 Posts
Well communication was swift...but lacking details.

I asked 2 questions:
1. Cost
2. Do they do installs

Their response was, "We do all installs here in Northern Michigan. Please call for more information."

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,161 Posts
What do they do when a Goldwing 2 wheel bike converts to a 3wheeler? its still a motorcycle.
Some guys install an extra wheel on each side of the rear wheel of a motorcycle, its still a motorcycle but has 3 wheels in the rear and one in the front.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts