Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a good place to rent a trailer in the Harrisburg PA area, I want to trailer the SS to Maggie Valley at the end of May

·
Registered
237 Posts
U-haul rents trailers but not sure they are compatible with our SS's.

They also rent "low deck" trucks but again I'm not sure that they are compatible with our SS's.

There are lots of options out there, you just have to do your research and see which one best fits your needs.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Nope. I've looked into that before. The trailer isn't wide enough for the front wheels to pass by the trailer wheels, even if it has fold-down wheel wells.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Actually, as far as rentals, there are not lots of options. The SS is just too unique, having a third wheel down the center and being so wide. Any degree of consistent towing would necessitate a purchase of one made specifically for the SS, or one modified to accommodate the dimensions of the SS.

They also rent "low deck" trucks but again I'm not sure that they are compatible with our SS's.

There are lots of options out there, you just have to do your research and see which one best fits your needs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There are plenty of trailers out there that are not specifically made for the SS that do a fine job. Problem is most of them are expensive. They are the kind that either roll back or let down to accommodate a low profile vehicle. I saw lots of them this weekend at Ocala carrying vetts, camaro's, etc.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I seem to remember reading about some using the U-Haul tow dollies for the Slingshot with minor adaptation. Try a search and see if you can find it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here's a pic of someone using a uhaul trailer with wood blocks for rear tire
Interesting. I brought my Sling to U-Haul and we both measured the front wheel distance. Measured the trailers on-site, and none would fit. He said there weren't any larger widths, but your picture obviously says different.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Interesting. I brought my Sling to U-Haul and we both measured the front wheel distance. Measured the trailers on-site, and none would fit. He said there weren't any larger widths, but your picture obviously says different.
Yep, I too was under the impression that the SlingShot was too wide to fit on a U-Haul trailer, I am going to look more into this!

Bill

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I guess it was two years ago that I saw two Penske vehicle haulers for rent at Home Depot. IIRC, they both measured just wide enough to handle the Slingshot front wheels and one of them looked just like the U-Haul trailer pictured above.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I know @EjFord uses a 7x14 that does double duty as a work trailer. It will work if there are no wheel wells reducing the width. The stock Sling is 79 inches wide at the front wheels. Height is an issue as well for loading. Some trailers have a beavertail (or dovetail) to aid in loading and some guys will pull their rear truck wheels onto blocks to lower the rear of the trailer. Just be aware that not all 7x14 trailers are set up the same.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
@master I have the 7 x 14 dual axle with a 6ft tail gate. I hook to the tow unit and than jack up the front as much as possible and will still rub slightly when loading.
I also use a Polaris trailering Cover. pricey but works well.
DSCF5123.JPG
DSCF5126.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sir, I've been looking at a 7x14 trailer with a 83" deck, and adding jack stands on the back. I think I can get a 5 ft. rampage. What are your thoughts Ej Ford?

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Sir, I've been looking at a 7x14 trailer with a 83" deck, and adding jack stands on the back. I think I can get a 5 ft. rampage. What are your thoughts Ej Ford?
The only reason I can think of for adding jack stands on the back is for parking with the Slingshot loaded. I have parked the trailer loaded and unhooked from tow united sever different times, just using the dual axle and front jack stand. No problem. If it was a single axle than would want more stability. A single axle is probably $1,000.00 cheaper. I got a good deal on mine and use it for business so tax advantage. If your tow unit is set up for electric breaks "great", you do need this for a dual axle which all have electric break. To put a simple hitch on a tow unit $250.00 ??? if you need to add the electric break system for me it was almost $800.00 on our little 2011 Ford Edge. A single axle will do fine... Just need to look at all the options. I did upgrade the tow unit, because the Ford Edge wasn't going to take the beating. I know you wanted a simple yes/no answer.... 6 ft ramp...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts