Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start this thread to ask who has what trailer?
Where they bought it?
What it cost?
What are its dimensions?
What are its features?

From searches I've done, it looks like aluminum is best for me as I have a Ford Edge V6 with a maximum tow limit of 3500, so the lower the overall weight, the better.
It looks like the length of the Slingshot calls for a 14 ft trailer. Most of the trailers I've seen seem to be 16 ft up, though.

Polaris dealers - feel free to offer comments on any trailers that might work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wanted an enclosed trailer that was light so that I could tow with my BMW X5 SUV. I was also concerned about the low ground clearance and loading. I found a company that makes customized lightweight trailers for people who tow Lotus Elise to track days.

My trailer is currently being manufactured in Michigan and will be finished up next week as follows:
Montrose Trailers, Inc
14' All Aluminum Low Profile Trailer
84" Wide
(3) 10' Aluminum Ramps
E-Trak placed on 70" center to tie down the front wheels
E-Trak placed down center for rear wheel tie down
Trailer weight is only 1,500 lb!
Price $13K

Here is a photo of my trailer as it is being finished up (the E-Trak is being repositioned): Montrose Trailer 1.jpg Montrose Trailer 2.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to throw it out there, there are a thousand car trailer mfg.'s, ranging from regional builders to national builders. For a Slingshot I personally won't recommend spending the additional funds for an aluminum trailer, unless you expect to be towing for years, and every pound of weight is of great value.
A pretty standard 7x16 or 7x18 trailer with a diamond plate solid deck or wood deck should weigh 1700-1800 lbs, give or take a few. Add 1750 for a SS and a few lbs for extras and you're at 3500. That being said, I personally would tow that weight all day with a vehicle such as an Edge. But you have to do what you are comfortable with.
Typical car trailer (tag-along) will have an 80" deck width, so you have a few inches to spare. You may prefer one with removable fenders so you get some added room loading and unloading.

One consideration is ramps vs tilt deck, and this is a very important one considering it's a trike with low clearance. A tilt deck won't require as long of a trailer to get a low deck angle for loading and unloading. A ramp trailer may require longer ramps. A tilt deck is perhaps a better option than having a third ramp for the rear wheel as well.

If I run across a good option I like I'll post a link.
pb

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Here is the trailer we used. It is a very low, tandem axle, floating unenclosed car trailer by Triton.

Trailer.jpg

It ought to be hand rolled on but you may drive it up. There isn't much space at the edges of the trailer because of the wide profile of the SS, so the open air trailer was beneficial in this regard.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here is the trailer we used. It is a very low, tandem axle, floating unenclosed car trailer by Triton.

View attachment 1781
It ought to be hand rolled on but you may drive it up. There isn't much space at the edges of the trailer because of the wide profile of the SS, so the open air trailer was beneficial in this regard.
Kip did the low frame clear ok with out having to do anything special with the folding ramp?

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Sloan Quick Load. Lowest angle except for Maxey air trailer

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried searching for trailer info before starting this thread, but didn't see that there was a trailer thread started back in August. I had actually already posted to that thread,but lost track of it.
Mods, can the two threads be combined, merging this thread into the old one?
Good input so far. The old thread referred to an Aluma 7712T Trailer that looks good for my needs, depending on the price. Best price so far, $2995.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Is the 7712T wide enough? Isn't the SS 78" wide?
I have a 21 foot featherlight aluminum car hauler with removable fenders. I can haul 2 Harley Davidson trikes and 2 ultra classics on it with very little problem. However, the trikes with independent suspension have about 5 inches of clearance and even with 4 foot aluminum ramps I still tend to drag the back pipes.

Like the rest of you, I see two problems: the front dragging before the tires hit the ramp and more prevalent is dragging the center of the frame before the back tire hits the center ramp.

I intend on lengthening my ramps another 16 inches and according to the calculator provided I think it might work. But I won't know until I go to load the SS.

Sorry BKL
1. Paid about $7500 bed dimensions are 78" x 21' but the sides are only 4 inches tall.
2. The best feature is it's lightweight. The trailer with one trike and 2 Ultras is total under 3500 pounds.
3. Purchased it at the local dealer.

No matter what anyone is planning on purchasing I would highly recommend a tandem axle and not a single axle trailer !

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
We had to lay some boards down on the ramp to get the SS safely loaded.

I posted this video before in a different thread, maybe some of these ramps would help:

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I would prefer a lighter, less expensive single axle trailer, I, too, am concerned that a dual axle trailer might be needed to properly distribute weight and not end up with too much weight on the hitch and resulting instability.
The Aluma 7712T is just a little too small for the Slingshot. Very tight fit in the bed width. The Aluma 8113, 8114, and 8214 Utility Trailers have sufficient room. These are single axle trailers and might require backing the Slingshot on to achieve proper weight distribution on the hitch.
http://www.alumaklm.com/

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I use a Aluma UT12 to pull a single RT spyder. I like it but if your going to run 80 or 90 on interstate you may want to do like me and carry a full size floor jack with you. Its way easier to change a tire with one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I thought it was strange that people were talking about putting it in a 7' wide trailer. I used to have a 7x16 and I can't remember the exact inside demensions but the door opening was quite a bit narrower than the inside demensions for sure.

The inside of your 7' wide trailer was only 68"? You have to be talking about between the wheel wells that were inside the trailer? My 7' wide had all of the wheel wells outside the trailer body but the door opening was always the limiting factor.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts