Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this would probably be a better question after we receive our Slingshots. Albeit, to those fortunate enough to have tested them, I know you ran them pretty close to the top at least a time or three. The current published writing and rumors has the top speed at approximately 130 mph. My question is, do you think that's limited by drag, gearing, or electronic nannies? What was your highest speed reached, in what gear and what RPM?

Sorry if this has been asked. I did a search first and I didn't find it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I know this would probably be a better question after we receive our Slingshots. Albeit, to those fortunate enough to have tested them, I know you ran them pretty close to the top at least a time or three. The current published writing and rumors has the top speed at approximately 130 mph. My question is, do you think that's limited by drag, gearing, or electronic nannies? What was your highest speed reached, in what gear and what RPM?

Sorry if this has been asked. I did a search first and I didn't find it.
Drag, definitely drag. And I haven't even seen one in real life.

Like waiting on real info from Polaris, definitely a drag.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I will never hit the 130 MPH mark. (unless EZ is chasing me in one of his concoctions)
I am a 0 to 60 and 60 to 100 junkie.

I used to run the flying mile back in my young and fuelish days with a 240Z with a 383 in it

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will never hit the 130 MPH mark. (unless EZ is chasing me in one of his concoctions)
I am a 0 to 60 and 60 to 100 junkie.

I used to run the flying mile back in my young and fuelish days with a 240Z with a 383 in it
Well then you should be curious about my question too. If you're in 5th gear at 130mph (limited by drag) with a couple thousand rpm's to spare, you might want to look at shorter gearing to improve that 60-100 time.:)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well then you should be curious about my question too. If you're in 5th gear at 130mph (limited by drag) with a couple thousand rpm's to spare, you might want to look at shorter gearing to improve that 60-100 time.:)
there is some truth to that, but that would also affect the 70-80 MPH cruising RPM's.

until we actually get our hands on one...it's hard to tell

·
Registered
494 Posts
Slingking,

someone on here did a calculation of the RPM's, gearing, tire sizes Ect. and came up with the RPM/MPH calcs. I don't remember what thread it was in, but it might answer some of your questions

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Way back in August I was given the top speed number of 156 mph directly from a Polaris representative when I was hosting the SS during the Woodward Cruise. Take that number with a grain of salt, I guess; 130 is probably more realistic.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Way back in August I was given the top speed number of 156 mph directly from a Polaris representative when I was hosting the SS during the Woodward Cruise. Take that number with a grain of salt, I guess; 130 is probably more realistic.
Mine will never see 130. For me, its all about the curves.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're right sloride, a gearing change could also ruin a potentially good fuel range. I am curious for various reasons though. If there's range left and is drag limited to 130, the top speed could theoretically improve with a turbo. I love curves too, I love the 1/4 mile, and a few times in the summer (depending where I am) I love hitting whatever the top is.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm just curious if you're bouncing off the limiter at 130.....
That one's easy. Not even close to the limiter at 130 In 5th. I'm guessing top speed in a stock SS will happen in 4th gear.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
160mph would feel sooo fast in the ss. I ass/u/me.........Damn I want mine. Anyone getting any news?

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
For reference the Saturn Sky and the Pontiac Solstice (exact same powertrain as the SS for those uninitiated) top out at 125 mph in 4th gear.

They have terrible drag (maybe as bad as the SS) and are 1000lbs heavier so I am guessing 130 should be pretty easy.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts