Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a question for those that have increased the power of their SlingShots where with our stock tricycle we cannot keep the rear tire glued to the road without it breaking loose when putting the pedal to the metal, in fact, it can be frustrating just how easily it breaks loose when trying to make a quick get-up-and-go, (especially if there is just a bit of gravel); how are you guys with the turbos, retuning, or other such enhancements able to actually utilize that extra power?

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
My guess, it comes to controlling the throttle. let the tire grab and THEN punch it. But I dont really know because I dont have any of the performance mods.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Have you changed your tires yet to something like a Nitto 555. They grip very well. And ride quality was improved as well.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
That is actually one factor that was important when I choose Hahn. One of the things he kept explaining was how the he had sized the turbo so it wasn't an "all at once experience" and he did a great job doing it. Occasionally I will blow the tire off when I don't mean to but 97% of the time its very very manageable.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
There are times when you just have to let it loose, but once you know what to expect, it's a simple understanding that that the throttle pedal is not an all or nothing on/off switch. It takes some control to approach the limit of traction and drive it without spinning the tire. I've learned to avoid spinning in first gear (unless it's for show), but having the ability to break it loose in 2nd or 3rd gear at will is a LOT more gratifying. Plus the tire lasts longer that way

·
Registered
264 Posts
You would have to equate "To much Power " with "To much fun " is there such a thing ? The Hahn system is very manageable thru throttle control .
Hahn also offers a Smart system that can be even more forgiving as an option..
Cant have "To much fun ! "

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Freeway traffic was really hauling bass the other day, and some woodland critter (who will remain unnamed) was with a pack of even faster bass blasters in a stock Slinshot. Guy on a crotch rocket pulls up, looks the Slingshot over, squirts forward six feet, takes another look, and shoots off. The goggle-wearing woodland lover was in fifth and put the pedal down half way, catching the two-wheel whizzer. Biker looks over, nods, both click into third and pour fuel down the intake. The little critter was flying, doing a great job of keeping up with what must have been about a 650cc, ticked red-line and quick-shifted into fourth, and that's where it all went pleh.

One doesn't know how fast the prickly little guy was going when he disengaged the clutch from fourth and let air drag slow him down, but it wasn't nearly fast enough to make three wheels hang with two. Somebody needs a Hahn to pull that crap off.

Miles later both take the same exit into the city, the biker blipping down the streets anonymously. Not so for our pointy friend; nods and honks from other drivers, thumbs-up, stares and smiles. The first light he hears someone call out, "Dad, it's the Batmobile!" and, "MAN that's cool!" Super-heroes aren't victorious every battle, but they generally win in the end.

( Throttle response is discussed in the 06/25/2015 ECU Update thread (listed in Hedge's Insight Index). )

·
Registered
873 Posts
First, saying that any machine has "too much power" is blasphemy, and is punishable by driving a Toyota Yaris for the rest of your life.

Second, like it was said, its all about throttle control and a better gripping rear end.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
From my perspective with the Alpha setup I did switch tires & suspension and for the most part it is my intentions to break the rear end loose.....If you get on it hard of course you will spin it, but the nice thing with the turbo setup is you can get rolling a bit then get hard on the power...

I know I've surprised more than one person with the ability for the Slingshot to get up and move. Hard shifting from 1st -> 2nd and 2nd -> 3rd will cause the backend to wiggle a bit.....bit it isn't too bad.

The key is modulation of the throttle as many others have said.

* I did just find out with my new windshield though that I was spinning more than I thought as I couldn't hear it over the former wind noise....

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm not very mechanical but the turbo would have no influence on the rear tire grabbing when starting out unless you're flooring it every time you start out

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
1439064970615529620797.jpg

Just buy extra tires and have fun!

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
Yeah...the fronts are still good and I don't like mix matched tires. Once the fronts go I will put something else on. For $115 shipped to my door it wasn't a bad deal. I had no problems with the Kendas on The Dragon so I figured what the hell.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The Kendas are actually pretty good. They corner pretty damn good. The children that lack control and like to mash the throttle off the line and run with scissors seem to be the ones with the most issues with the Kendas.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts