Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks for all the photos and updates over the last couple of days. I am very excited, and plan to get my hands on a SS as soon as they make their way into northern CA.

Quick questions for everyone:

How do you think the SS will handle for longer trips? I would love to take the wife touring up and down the coast but I am concerned about:
1: How will it handle on less than perfect roads?
2. What kind of MPG do we expect while cruising at freeway speeds?
3. Lastly, no rear-view mirror? Thoughts on a work around for this "car-like" cockpit?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
1. Hopefully like a proper performance vehicle
2. Fuel consumption should not make the list of requirements when purchasing a performance oriented vehicle
3. What's behind you does not matter - unless you are backing up, then just get the SL it has a backup camera.

:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
3. I'm really liking the base model, and thinking that adding a camera and screen for full time rear view would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DropTheTop, I like the base model as well but am concerned about not seeing the CHP behind me... Or the crazy meth-head that isn't stopping with traffic...

For anybody that has taken this for a spin, how hard is it to see behind you-even just backing up?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Quick questions for everyone:

How do you think the SS will handle for longer trips? I would love to take the wife touring up and down the coast but I am concerned about:
1: How will it handle on less than perfect roads?
2. What kind of MPG do we expect while cruising at freeway speeds?
3. Lastly, no rear-view mirror? Thoughts on a work around for this "car-like" cockpit?

Cheers!
I'm excited to have a SS for longer trips. To me it will be better than my current highway motorcycle option (Sportster). It will give you good visibility on the road, you will have to worry about being prepared for weather and you will need to plan your route so that there isn't a desolate stretch without a gas station farther than 200 miles. Anyone can jump in a basic car for a road trip, but there is more adventure when you take a motorcycle sort of vehicle.

1. Yes! The suspension IMO was sporty, but not harsh.

2. If you can keep your foot out of it and just cruise I bet you could get close to 30 mph.

3. The visibility wasn't an issue for me. The side mirrors are great and since the back tapers towards the rear wheel I could see what was behind me pretty easily.

4. You don't have to get the SL model to get the Infotainment and backup camera. You can add it to the base model if you want the Gray color.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Even with all its shortcomings and imperfections, the Slingshot is still waaaaaay more comfortable and has superior wind protection than any touring motorcycle, even the mighty Honda Goldwing. Automotive seats with full back support, cup holders, stereo, cruise control, etc. To me, it would be like traveling in a sports car!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Besides the added safety this machine will provide over any two wheeled bike all of the afore mentioned reasons is why I'm going with the Slingshot. That and the WOW factor.:)

·
Registered
796 Posts
So true! A very welcomed and refreshing change. On any beautiful Sunday afternoon, when I go out for a bike ride, if I spot 50 other bikes, you know how many of them are Harleys? 49.9. Harley has managed to become the Honda Accord and Toyota Camery of motorcyles. A mass produced cookie-cutter motorcycle. I think, er, um, more like KNOW the world is ready for something new! The proof will be in the double takes and rubber necking!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can't go way off in the distance for the gas tank doesn't hold a bunch so plan it ahead of time. I seem to be at the edge of needing gas every time I'm out off somewhere making it VERY close to not making the gas stations.
If a person were way out west out in the boonies they'd need to carry extra gas with them. If not it would make for a new scary movie maybe! HAHA!!
Would be cool to be way out with this machine though!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Can't go way off in the distance for the gas tank doesn't hold a bunch so plan it ahead of time. I seem to be at the edge of needing gas every time I'm out off somewhere making it VERY close to not making the gas stations.
If a person were way out west out in the boonies they'd need to carry extra gas with them. If not it would make for a new scary movie maybe! HAHA!!
I don't know about that. With 9.7 gallons and ridding it moderately getting 27 mpg, you have a safe range of 250+ miles per tank. Not too many normal bikes get better mileage than that per tankful. Just watch the mileage and if you THINK there's going to be an issue on available fuel stops, fill up then and there and don't push the issue until the low fuel indicator starts flashing before refueling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not getting 27 mpg.
Been pretty close at times but I was out and about with. With no stations real close so We had to be careful. Like anything else.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm not getting 27 mpg.
Been pretty close at times but I was out and about with. With no stations real close so We had to be careful. Like anything else.
There have been issues with the gas gauge/fuel sender indicating full when it isn't. You might want to read that thread. It is helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If one is accustomed to touring on a motorcycle this won't be a problem. If ten gallons of fuel gets a least 250 miles I will be okay. After a couple of hours on the road I'll need to make a pit stop, probably more than one (ha-ha) to determine if my legs and kidney work! Hope I have a chance to tour next year. Thanks, Mike K.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Have over 2000 miles on mine, a number of 200 mile trips and a couple of 3-4 hours cruises. Seats are comfortable, rides well even on fairly rough surface roads, has good storage and possible additional storage may be available.

Visibility is good except out back, but side mirrors are excellent, I have a base and have not felt I needed a back-up camera or rear view center mirror.

Wind, rain and cold protection are great! Starting to get over 30 MPG on a pretty consistant basis in normal cruising. So 200-250 miles on a tank are nore than enough.

Heat is a small issues on really hot days and in slow traffic, but not any worse than most bikes and you can dress a little lighter in and SS. I have done some insulation work and that helped a lot.

All in all a great cruising vehicle compared to most of the really good cruising bikes. Definately more comfortable for 2 travelers and the cruise control and wind protection make for great cruising!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Way back in the 80s when most bikes had a manual reserve petcock, Honda determined that the average distance between gas stations in the US was 30 miles. They changed their petcocks so that the reserve on their bikes would last about 30 miles. People hated it. So they changed back. The greatest distance I have seen to the next fuel was about 70 miles. If I see a sign that reads next gas ________ miles, then I make sure my tank is near full. I know plenty of guys that thought nothing of taking off on a cross country trip with a two and a half gallon peanut tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts