Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide which one to buy- a ss or a new spider.. Iam a Huge polaris fan and have been checking out the ss hitting the dealers in my area. Have to say I've notice that there has been huge difference in quality when it comes to fit and finish between two identical units sitting one the showroom. Some are better than others and one even had 81 miles on the odometer that came from the factory. Have to say I think polaris really has something here and it's going to take a couple of years to fix some of the problems you read about on here. One question I have is what is it going to cost to put a set of new tires on it? Also I hear that is costs a lot for insurance on them too? On a spyder the tires only last about 6-8k miles and it costs about $550 to change them out. The ss appears to be a special size and I bet it will scare you when you get the bill! I bet you would be lucky to get 6-8k miles with the soft kenda tires. Us spyder owners throw the kenda tires away and put on car tires. Hopefully other tire manufactures will jump in soon because if you are smoking the tires, you will be buying a lot of expensive tires! I guess if your the type that only goes out for a Sunday drive once a month and only put a couple thousand miles a year, might not be a big deal. I usually put on 8-10k miles a year on my spyder.

So what do you think? Should a person wait for a 2016 ss and wait for the new and improved ss that I am sure polaris will hopefully fix the issues?

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Trying to decide which one to buy- a ss or a new spider.. Iam a Huge polaris fan and have been checking out the ss hitting the dealers in my area. Have to say I've notice that there has been huge difference in quality when it comes to fit and finish between two identical units sitting one the showroom. Some are better than others and one even had 81 miles on the odometer that came from the factory. Have to say I think polaris really has something here and it's going to take a couple of years to fix some of the problems you read about on here. One question I have is what is it going to cost to put a set of new tires on it? Also I hear that is costs a lot for insurance on them too? On a spyder the tires only last about 6-8k miles and it costs about $550 to change them out. The ss appears to be a special size and I bet it will scare you when you get the bill! I bet you would be lucky to get 6-8k miles with the soft kenda tires. Us spyder owners throw the kenda tires away and put on car tires. Hopefully other tire manufactures will jump in soon because if you are smoking the tires, you will be buying a lot of expensive tires! I guess if your the type that only goes out for a Sunday drive once a month and only put a couple thousand miles a year, might not be a big deal. I usually put on 8-10k miles a year on my spyder.

So what do you think? Should a person wait for a 2016 ss and wait for the new and improved ss that I am sure polaris will hopefully fix the issues?
Can't make up your mind for you. I'd buy the SS......There are plenty of automotive tire options already.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Kenda Kaiser's will cost you about $60-$75 each for the fronts and about $100 for the rear of you want direct replacements.

Any car tires will work so you could spend as little as $250 or as much as $1000+ depending on what you want.

There is plenty on this form already about the SS vs. Spyder so I won't belabor it but they are very very different animals. it's like asking you to tell me whether I should buy a motorcycle or car. They are that different. Only you will know the answer to your question.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you are having to think this much about it then maybe you already have the answer. Nothing wrong with a Spyder. Plus I enjoy seeing them in my rear view mirror...:D

·
Registered
508 Posts
My friend has the 1st gen. Spider. He likes it but lots of problem with his. Here is some of the problem that he has ran into.
1. Parking brake always does not engage properly. (2X replace)
2. Brake pads wears out fast.(3 replaced)
3. Power steering goes bad. (2X replaced)..
Thought of getting one back then but from all the same problem that it had. I decided not to purchase it. The new Spider has a squarish look to them instead of that slant nose from first generation. Anyways, it's your decision of choice. Go for it and enjoy!

·
Registered
362 Posts
You are on a Slingshot forum, so you know you want a SS. I was looking at a spider too. I am so happy I waited and got the SS. A few little issues for us at first. Most will resolve in short amount of time. Insurance will go down within 6 - 8 months. This is just too new for most carriers to know anything about right it now. I found coverage at $1500.00 a year, but kept looking and got it down to $900.00 a year, from American Family.
The cool and fun factor on these machines is through the roof. Most people see the spider and think, "Oh, that's kind of cool." Not with an SS. Their reaction is very apparent. But you are buying this for you, not them.
A definite added plus is the fact you can have a passenger ride next to you and enjoy the same ride as you, you can talk to each other, and there is no "riding bitch".
I have found that the comfort and ride in the SS is much better than I had anticipated. I have a few old man, and broken body issues, and the SS is way more comfortable to ride in for an extended amount of time. Miles per day will be much more than I could have gotten from my motorcycle, even before I got broke.
The upcoming accessory market will soon explode with options for the SS. Tire options will come with that as well.
At this point you may not have a choice but to wait for the 2016 SS, if you decide to go that way. There are a lot of folks waiting on their 2015's still. But you location will have some influence on that.
If you do decide to go the SS way. You will love it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I can't imagine that if you try them both that you'd have any trouble deciding which you like better.

Not meaning to imply an answer; I tried a Spyder and didn't like it, haven't tried a SS yet so the jury's out.

Will say though that I expect to like the SS much more.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
First, there is no way possible that 81 miles came from the factory. They hardly have enough room to prep and load the Slingshot at the end of the assembly line, let alone drive it around in a small circle for 81 miles. More than likely it was from the dealership test driving it.
Second, the problems listed on this forum, so far, will be fixed within a couple of months, there is hardly any problems that have surfaced, to date, that will take "a couple of years" to fix. If you compare the Slingshot issues as of today, with the Can-Am there is no comparison. I believe there is no comparison to begin with, but just for the sake of your argument I did a simply search, "Can-Am Complaints, Problems". I went into the first forum that popped up and discovered majors issues for CanAM owners from 2007 through present. Here is a short list on one forum;
  1. overheat-limp home mode
  2. dps failure-limp home mode
  3. other steering issues
  4. gear position sensor malfunction
  5. brake failure reading on console
  6. Check engine reading on console
  7. leaky brake fluid reservoir caps
  8. coolant leakage
  9. excessive gas fumes
  10. exhaust leak
  11. discoloration on stock exhaust pipe
  12. relay failure
  13. defective tires
  14. front end alignment not right from the factory
  15. noisy breaks
  16. Trunk leaks
  17. other issues not listed above
  18. parking break issues
Some of these had follow up comments that were very severe issues;

1) After the loss of my 2008 Spyder to fire, I very foolishly bought a 2009. The power steering failed and turned me into the oncoming traffic lane.
2) I had also started smelling gas again. At a little over 5000 miles the front tires have uneven and excessive ware on the inside. It has stalled and died 2 times and has never had the passing power the 08 had.
3) Well my concerns turned to reality and I said my goodbyes to the Spyder on the streets of Manhattan. I was returning from ride through Brooklyn into Manhattan and on 59th street the Spyder met it's death. The engine area became increasingly hot then smoke came billowing from the engine area followed by flames in a matter of 15 - 30 seconds.
4) Mine too caught fire while riding, anyone know where the VIN number is besides the sticker that is no longer there due to flames. I know how you feel lonespyder. Mine to was in the shop more than I had it the first year.

I am not here to debate which is better, both vehicles will have proud and happy owners. I have obviously made my choice, but if you want to compare problems listed in the forums Polaris is miles ahead in that category, and with the proven reliability of the GM Ecotec, I don't foresee a lot of Slingshot's catching fire in the near future.
Polaris will have it's problems like any other new vehicle release. But hands down the fun factor is through the roof and I can promise you that the re-sale value of the Can-AM will be in a steady decline as the Slingshot takes hold in 2015 and beyond.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Slingshot all the way. Just picked mine up without even being able to test drive, 1st Slingshot from dealer. Fun factor is through the roof. No complaints. Get the 5 year extended warrenty and everything will be fixed that becomes a problem

·
Registered
5,165 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Well, that pretty much covers everything!
LOL, yes it does, I wanted to be fair and quote things just as they were posted, without editing anything.

Not trying to rip on Can-AM, but I think everyone needs to read through this and keep things in perspective with regards to the first release of the Slingshot. With the exception of delayed release, I would say things are sounding very successful at this point.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I was and am reluctant concerning the Spyder because of the many issues listed above. At the same time, the F3 uses a larger, different motor and is pretty much a new model, so to me it falls into the same unknown category as the Slingshot. I have some interest in the F3, but it still lags behind the Slingshot in my desirability list.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts