Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the SL with the 18's in the front and the 20 in the rear. right now my tires are good (the fronts being better than the back), but I know at some point I will need to replace them the back being first. Looking at my local tire stores like Americas tires there seem to be many options. Perrelli, Michelin, and many others. So, when I need to replace my 255 35 r 20 - is there any reason why I should judge these tires any differently than I have for the last 40 years buying car tires? are the ratings some different on a slingshot, and more importantly are they different than the ratings of the factory tire - - I know this sounds like a odd question, but some have led me to think that the tires made for the sling are somehow different or better that normal "car" tires - - - -thanks :)

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I think most folks look for high performance or ultra high performance tires when looking for replacement tires. Just remember - Performance tires can offer long tread-life, great traction or low cost. Just pick any two! I've put over 34000 miles on my Slingshot in 23 months, so I l look for the best traction and tread-life at a lower price. The rear tires I've tried have ranged in price from around $135 for the Kendas and Nankang to around $200 for the Sumitomo and closer to $230 for the Nitto. These prices are installed with road hazard coverage on the more expensive tires.

I would recommend looking for a tire with strong sidewalls for the rear. I currently have a Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 tire (it's Nankang's high performance tire) that will need replacing within a few thousand miles (it has over 7000 miles on it now). I read a review where someone tried this tire and didn't like it as they felt it had a weak sidewall. That may be the case as I have noticed that minor steering wheel movement seems to result in some swaying from the rear tire. This may indeed be attributable to a weak sidewall. Oddly, during high-speed lane changes such as swerving quickly from the right lane to the left and back again to avoid road debris, for example, I do not notice any swaying. Presumably, the forces of the rapid lane change simply conceal any swaying associated with the rapid lane change, with the swaying being noticeable during minor steering wheel movements that lack the energy involved with as raid lane change. Other than the swaying from minor steering movements, the NS-20 has had decent traction and cornering performance. Its cost was a little less cheaper than the Kenda tires Polaris ships as stock.

IIRC, America's Tires is associated with Discount Tire. My local Discount Tire store doesn't always have the widest selection of tires and I have used Discount Tire Direct to order the sizes I want. DTD offers free shipping as well as road hazard warranties (if you want that coverage) and then I just have Discount Tire do the install at their normal price as if I had purchased the tire at my local store.

I don't consider myself an aggressive driver. I like to drive roads with curves as close to the posted speed limit as possible, maybe up to 5 mph over (I don't like tickets). One of my favorite local roads has a 15 mph right-angle turn that I like to take at 30 mph or so. I took that turn once at closer to 40 mph and spun out. Fortunately, there was a spacious shoulder. Had I been going the other direction, I wouldn't have had that shoulder and very well could have had some problems. The Kendas on the front have met my needs well. The Kenda on the rear spins too easily. The Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30ZR18 I tried only gave me 5000 miles compared to the 10000 miles I got from the Kendas and offered good traction at first, but started spinning as it wore down. The Nankang NS-20 will also spin if I give it too much gas. The tire I bought to use after my turbo install, a Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 tire on a new wheel, can be made to spin with a stock Slingshot. Even stock, the Slingshot's steering will spin just about any tire out there, at least it has on the four brands I've tried.

I just ordered new front tires and chose the Nitto Motivo All Season Ultra High Performance 215/50ZR17 tire. They are estimated to have a 60000 mile tread-life, so I hope to get at least 30000 miles like I have with the front Kendas. The Nitto 555 G2 are better rated for dry road traction, while the Motivo is slightly better at wet road traction.

Other folks have enjoyed other brands such as Goodyear, Pirrelli, etc. Just stick with a high performance/ultra high performance tire and you shouldn't have any problems. It certainly helps to read thru the various tire threads, especially if you can search for your intended tire to see the experiences of other folks before you become the guinea pig tester for everyone else.:D

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
BKL, take a look at the Lexani LX30. Its a performance tire made for heavier vehicles and has rather stiff sidewalls. I went with a 275-40-20 in order to get a taller tire that would provide a slightly softer ride.
It has done that, much to my satisfaction, and I've never felt any sway on curves or rapid lane changing. The company is not well known but to best of my research is owned by Nexani?. With only about 6K so far, its hard to tell how long it might last, but there is lots of tread left. I expect well over 10K. Its rated UTQG 320AA which is about 30-40K? I will definitely buy the same tire when I need another. BTW, I'm not an aggressive driver FWIW.
Lexani Tires

PS: I have a long gravel driveway and this tire does not pick up gravel in the tread, whereas the front tires do, as well as my car and truck! Wish they made this size that would fit the front!:)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
................ are the ratings some different on a slingshot, and more importantly are they different than the ratings of the factory tire - - I know this sounds like a odd question, but some have led me to think that the tires made for the sling are somehow different or better that normal "car" tires - - - -thanks :)
When it comes time to replacing our rear tire we will be seeking a good automotive all weather design, though the biggest obstacle in our search has been finding such a tire that can be commonly found locally with a symmetrical tread design. We may go to an asymmetrical design in the front, but are of the mind that we would like to keep all three of our tires the same.............

Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the SL with the 18's in the front and the 20 in the rear. right now my tires are good (the fronts being better than the back), but I know at some point I will need to replace them the back being first. Looking at my local tire stores like Americas tires there seem to be many options. Perrelli, Michelin, and many others. So, when I need to replace my 255 35 r 20 - is there any reason why I should judge these tires any differently than I have for the last 40 years buying car tires? are the ratings some different on a slingshot, and more importantly are they different than the ratings of the factory tire - - I know this sounds like a odd question, but some have led me to think that the tires made for the sling are somehow different or better that normal "car" tires - - - -thanks :)

There has been some good member feedback. The tires are not manufactured different for the slingshot, as has been noted a high performance or ultra high persormance tire is preferred as the Slingshot is an aggressive vehicle.

Keep in mind America's Tire/Discount Tire can special order any tire you are looking for if you would like them to. You can also order them from us online and take them to your local store if you prefer.

Thank you for your support. Please let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
... finding such a tire that can be commonly found locally with a symmetrical tread design.

Bill
This caught my eye too. Looking at the tread on the current rear tire, it is symmetrical. I was imagining that a non-symmetrical tire would tend to "walk". I'm nowhere near ready for new rubber yet, but his is all good info for when that time comes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 after we learned how bad the Slingshot does in the rain on the stock tires. These are much much better in the rain and quieter on the road. They have a slightly smaller foot print as the edges are rounded which actually helps in the wet. The only down side is the rear does not hook up as well under hard acceleration, but we are not into that so we are very happy. I have run as hard as I want in Deals Gap, if you know that road, to the point that sport bikes were letting us go by. The handle very well and give great feedback.

My 2 cents.

Btw if you search my post I wrote a lot about riding in the rain.

Jim

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
just did my oem tires all the way around. Of course I did not buy the slingshot tires I bought kenda's online 85 each for the front 130 for the rear. I'm pretty happy with the kendas. 36800 miles on the front and 20000 on the rear. Could have gone more on the rear and the left front but the right front Wore faster and I had to have my upper ball joints replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After quite a bit of research we're looking to go with BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 all Season tires all around this winter as the rainy season begins.

Bill
Hi Bill ...how's it going with the BF Goodrich tires? Good control? Tread wear? Any hydroplaning?
Thanks, Roy

·
Registered
555 Posts
In my estimation, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are the best. They are simply outstanding and have great reviews. Even though they are expensive and asymmetrical, you cannot tell it at first glance. They are a great looking tire and are superb in the rain. I rode to SSITS in a downpour and still was doing 65 MPH without any issues. The traction is superb in dry and wet and they are very quiet and comfortable.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
I would recommend looking for a tire with strong sidewalls for the rear. I currently have a Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 tire (it's Nankang's high performance tire) that will need replacing within a few thousand miles (it has over 7000 miles on it now). I read a review where someone tried this tire and didn't like it as they felt it had a weak sidewall. That may be the case as I have noticed that minor steering wheel movement seems to result in some swaying from the rear tire. This may indeed be attributable to a weak sidewall. Oddly, during high-speed lane changes such as swerving quickly from the right lane to the left and back again to avoid road debris, for example, I do not notice any swaying. Presumably, the forces of the rapid lane change simply conceal any swaying associated with the rapid lane change, with the swaying being noticeable during minor steering wheel movements that lack the energy involved with as raid lane change. Other than the swaying from minor steering movements, the NS-20 has had decent traction and cornering performance. Its cost was a little less cheaper than the Kenda tires Polaris ships as stock.
This is what I am running on mine now. I am really impressed with the tire, especially with the low cost. I went with a 275/35 on the rear and I have not noticed the "weak" sidewall that some have mentioned. I have always kept the tire pressure around 26-28lbs on all 3 of the tires I have ran so might be why I don't notice. Seeing as I only paid $160 installed for a wider tire than the factory set up, I am really happy with it. If I didn't have plan on upgrading the wheels, I would definitely go back to this tire.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Hi Bill ...how's it going with the BF Goodrich tires? Good control? Tread wear? Any hydroplaning?
Thanks, Roy
After my lil sashay down the interstate with the Kendas at 70 MPH, simply put, the BF Goodrich tires have renewed my confidence in the SlingShot once again..........

Bill

·
Registered
573 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has used the Michelin Pilot Sports or any of Michelin's top rated summer performance tires. Do not put the miles on my machine that some of you do and do not do rain and being in Florida do not have to worry about the cold so may want to change the tires well before the OEM's are worn out. I do not track and do not want to spend several hundred more than I need to but have never skimped on any of my vehicles' tires in the past and just wondering about the top rated Michelins. Again, do not really care about ultimate mileage as I will change out tires every 4 or so years due to heat breakdown in the Florida. I have not heard from anyone here who has used the Pilot Sports but know they are a good tire for other vehicles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has used the Michelin Pilot Sports or any of Michelin's top rated summer performance tires. Do not put the miles on my machine that some of you do and do not do rain and being in Florida do not have to worry about the cold so may want to change the tires well before the OEM's are worn out. I do not track and do not want to spend several hundred more than I need to but have never skimped on any of my vehicles' tires in the past and just wondering about the top rated Michelins. Again, do not really care about ultimate mileage as I will change out tires every 4 or so years due to heat breakdown in the Florida. I have not heard from anyone here who has used the Pilot Sports but know they are a good tire for other vehicles.
2 pilot sport ps2 for the front delivered about an hour ago (thanks Don). I’ll give you an update in a few days.

·
Registered
573 Posts
What are you running on the rear and what size on fronts
Not sure what tire I will end up with and would like to hear what you think of the PS2's. Looking at the PS2, PS Cup 2 or PS 4s.. Given that I don't track not sure if I need the Cups and they are spendy but any of the Higher end PS's are not cheap..

·
Registered
139 Posts
"Oldchuck, post: 869461, member: 40785"]What are you running on the rear and what size on fronts
Not sure what tire I will end up with and would like to hear what you think of the PS2's. Looking at the PS2, PS Cup 2 or PS 4s.. Given that I don't track not sure if I need the Cups and they are spendy but any of the Higher end PS's are not cheap..[/QUOTE]

YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R295 /30 R18

Pilot SPORT PS2 205 /50 R17

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve found out Walmart actually has the best price on the Toyo Proxes T1R 345/25R20 for $287. That’s the best price I could find anywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got the BF Goodrich comp 2, so far I like them but I haven't tried them on my favorite roads yet. I want good grip and longevity, only got 4500 on rear stock Kenda.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts