Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been posted many times but nothing I could find recently or relevant to my needs. My sling is boosted and I swear the original rear Kenda tire hooked up better than the Nitto 555G2. I'm thinking it has something to do with the weight in the rear of the Sling as the fronts perform very well. I'd like to switch to something like a DOT approved track tire and am having issues matching the factory tires sizes (225/45-18 fronts and 305/30-20 rear). I only put a 1,000 miles or so on per year and not looking for longevity. I've heard the Toyo R888R's and Nitto NT01's are good but they don't offer exact tires, but can get close.
-
Has anyone out there been in my position? What tires did you go with? What were the sizes?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Many other folks have complained about the relatively poor traction of the Nitto 555 & G2. Personally, I've been happy with my Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 on an American Muscle 10th Anniversary Cobra Style 17x10.5 wheel, although its 28mm Offset shifts the tire's center a little over 1.5" to the left. I take the extra power the turbo provides as a challenge to driving skills in that it takes a conscious effort to minimize tire spin while trying to accelerate as quickly as possible. I average about 8 months on my rear tires, with them typically lasting around 10,000 miles, give or take.
You're correct in that the loading on the rear tire is relatively light and the rear tire will want to spin. Stickier tires are your best bet. The stock Kendas have a UTQG rating of 300A while truly sticky tires can have a much lower rating. The Nitto 555 G2 tires have a 320 UTQG rating meaning they are actually a little longer wearing than the Kendas. A super sticky tire such as the Toyo R888R have a UTQG of 100 AA A. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap and are Summer only (most Summer tires are not rated for operation below 45-50F).
Try this link - https://lmgtfy.com/?q=20"+tires+UTQG+below+300 . Some of the hits are higher than 300 UTQG, but there are several performance-oriented tires rated under 300 UTQG. Just select Shopping after reading about the UTQG rating system. Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts