Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my dealer today as they have a red one and a gray one.
Ive always thought the gray slingshot's tire height was shorter than the red ones but was always told that the red one had larger rims but shorter tires making the overall circumference the same.....

I took a tape measure to see.
Sure enough, the gray's rear wheel height is abt 1/2 inch shorter than the red ones. The fronts are a little less than half an inch but I wasnt concerned with the fronts.
This means that the total overall gearing in the gray ss will give it a slight advantage in acceleration over the red.
In theory anyway. :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's difficult to keep the real tire from breaking loose in the first two gears. So easy in fact, that clutch-popping is not necessary. Just goose it. Lowering the ratio (smaller circumference) will only make it worse. You'll be the mayor of Spin City. Meanwhile, the slightly taller SL will be enjoying an obvious traction advantage. Now we have both science and math supporting the SL.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
It's difficult to keep the real tire from breaking loose in the first two gears. So easy in fact, that clutch-popping is not necessary. Just goose it. Lowering the ratio (smaller circumference) will only make it worse. You'll be the mayor of Spin City. Meanwhile, the slightly taller SL will be enjoying an obvious traction advantage. Now we have both science and math supporting the SL.
So what you're saying is, when I pull up beside you in my lighter (also an advantage) grey ss in 3rd gear (where traction isn't an issue,) I'll leave you for dead. Good thing the SL doesn't have doors. It would be embarrassing for you watching them get blown off. :D

·
Registered
792 Posts
The SL weighs only 18 pounds more, from the stereo, speaker pods, & backup camera. I'm a somewhat small guy at only 155 pounds. How much do you weigh? The SL + me will be lighter than 99% of the rest.

Ha! Gotcha!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And my 18-pound stereo will be cranked up to George Thorogood and the Destroyer's "Bad to the Bone" while doing it!
I did say "in theory" Stan. :)
Hopefully a stickier tire will take advantage of that gearing lol
Happy Thanksgiving Stan!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I hope it is not long before someone figures out what can and can't be done due to the traction control. I bought grey and want to put larger rim and tires on. Waiting to hear what is possible.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
The SL weighs only 18 pounds more, from the stereo, speaker pods, & backup camera. I'm a somewhat small guy at only 155 pounds. How much do you weigh? The SL + me will be lighter than 99% of the rest.

Ha! Gotcha!
Some of your extra weight is in the wheels so it counts more being rotational weight. Plus I'm *ahem* 172 lbs (prove I'm not) :angelic: So overall, I still got ya by one anyway. AAAnd.....George Thorogood sucks. :p

·
Registered
792 Posts
A-The SL's wheels are composed of a superior and lighter forged alluminum composition

B-Yes, George Thorogood does suck, but his lyrics don't!

C-Good job programming your scales to read a coincidently perfect 172!:smuggrin:

·
Registered
513 Posts
A-The SL's wheels are composed of a superior and lighter forged alluminum composition

C-Good job programming your scales to read a perfect 172!:smuggrin:
SL wheels are pretty light. I noticed a significant difference in weight on the stock rear wheel + tire compared with my 20x10 rim alone.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts

C-Good job programming your scales to read a coincidently perfect 172!:smuggrin:
Your superior SL wheels are heavier all the same.

If you bring your wife or girlfriend, I'll win for sure! Mine...

View attachment 2802
Dude!!! How'd you get that pic of my girlfriend??!! That was the first time I got her to wear those short shorts since our Aids diagnoses. :vomit::finger: LOL.....GREY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read somewhere the "upgraded" rims and tires really were not any lighter than the standard ones.....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
And my 18-pound stereo will be cranked up to George Thorogood and the Destroyer's "Bad to the Bone" while doing it!
Plus his Guy Lombardo songs will catch him napping at the red light change, so his shorter tire/lower gearing wouldn't help him even if he could hook it up to the ground.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I read somewhere the "upgraded" rims and tires really were not any lighter than the standard ones.....
It'll soon be proven that they're heavier. Unsprung rotational weight....Yuk!

Plus his Guy Lombard songs will catch him napping at the red light change, so his shorter tire/lower gearing wouldn't help him even if he could hook it up to the ground.
Okay.....Who the hell is Guy Lombard??:oops:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts