Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From day one I've experienced occasional to frequent “engine flares” on trips while shifting. At times I can go through several shifting events to hours of normal operation without problems but, the “flaring” has always happened on every ride I've been on. I just completed a 520 mile ride Monday with same “flaring” issues.

Throughout, my dealer has been very helpful. About three weeks ago re-flashed the ECU which made the engine run smoother but did not fix the “flaring” issue. He tells me that Polaris tells him, that engine “flaring” during shifting is normal and shouldn't worry about it. I’m 63 years old and have driven standard transmissions my whole life and have never had “engine flares” before. – don’t tell me I’m not driving it correctly or that “something” is interfering by holding the throttle - this is not "normal."

But, I love the thing so much that I’ve kind of learned to live with and anticipate the flares. I’ve also followed the forums for similar problems but haven’t seen much.

However, after today I need action. Just thirty minutes ago I was in my garage starting my 2/15 built SS SL with 3500 miles. As I have from day one, I allowed the ECU to complete the booting cycle and allowed the fuel pump to stop before I pressed the dashboard start button. The engine start cycle started with a slightly different sound, almost as if the engine backfired slightly but not an actual backfire. As the engine came to life the rpm instantly went to the rev limiter and held there for 1.5 to 2.0 seconds then started down in a few decelerating stages to idle before I had my wits to turn off the key.

I was stunned – and my wife, who was standing in front of it, just about dislocated a hip getting out of the way. The fact that you must press the clutch in in order for the start cycle to commence and the fact that I always start in neutral, averted catastrophe.

All owners and Polaris should be on alert and are hereby notified – my dealer has offered to come and pick it up. If you think this can’t happen, just review the original Toyota Prius failures.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Other people (not many) have also had this same issue. Glad to hear that nobody was hurt and all is well. I would make two suggestions to you.

1. Let it bounce off of the rev limiter until it blows up and get a new one under warranty (kind of a joke, but not really)
2. Look into getting your ECU tuned by @MEFIburn

Polaris will most likely send you a new ECU, but personally I would pay the $400 bucks and get it tuned instead. Make Polaris pick up the bill.

Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This is frustrating me greatly. It makes a great driving experience just mediocre and I shouldnt have to pay mefiburn hard earned money to fix what Polaris should make right.
Its crazy how this thing revs, rev hang between shifts, etc....
If they fix it it will probably get another 2-3 mpg. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have Bobs tune now for almost 2000 miles.
It is much better than before.
I really love Bobs tune. The performance, throttle response and shifting is greatly improved, but I still have those occasional flare ups and rev hangs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From day one I've experienced occasional to frequent “engine flares” on trips while shifting. At times I can go through several shifting events to hours of normal operation without problems but, the “flaring” has always happened on every ride I've been on. I just completed a 520 mile ride Monday with same “flaring” issues.

Throughout, my dealer has been very helpful. About three weeks ago re-flashed the ECU which made the engine run smoother but did not fix the “flaring” issue. He tells me that Polaris tells him, that engine “flaring” during shifting is normal and shouldn't worry about it. I’m 63 years old and have driven standard transmissions my whole life and have never had “engine flares” before. – don’t tell me I’m not driving it correctly or that “something” is interfering by holding the throttle - this is not "normal."

But, I love the thing so much that I’ve kind of learned to live with and anticipate the flares. I’ve also followed the forums for similar problems but haven’t seen much.

However, after today I need action. Just thirty minutes ago I was in my garage starting my 2/15 built SS SL with 3500 miles. As I have from day one, I allowed the ECU to complete the booting cycle and allowed the fuel pump to stop before I pressed the dashboard start button. The engine start cycle started with a slightly different sound, almost as if the engine backfired slightly but not an actual backfire. As the engine came to life the rpm instantly went to the rev limiter and held there for 1.5 to 2.0 seconds then started down in a few decelerating stages to idle before I had my wits to turn off the key.

I was stunned – and my wife, who was standing in front of it, just about dislocated a hip getting out of the way. The fact that you must press the clutch in in order for the start cycle to commence and the fact that I always start in neutral, averted catastrophe.

All owners and Polaris should be on alert and are hereby notified – my dealer has offered to come and pick it up. If you think this can’t happen, just review the original Toyota Prius failures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I,had the same experience with my SS only happened once. Driven it 2000 miles since and has started normally. Untill reading your experience I thought I might have had my foot on the accelerator. Everytime I start it I make sure to not let go of the key. I don,t think I hurt the motor, but sure was scarey. Told the dealer of my experience, he had no other complaints, but has only sold about 10 machines. Guess I,ll call and talk to the service manager and find out if the accelerator may be the problem. App. 3600 miles to date and for the most part I,m a very happy SS owner. A little disappointed in Polaris for not suppling some sort of a tool kit as it is mentioned in the owners manual to even include a pressure gauge to ck tire pressure. If they don,t do what they say in writing ,I,m wondering how good their warranty policy is!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I,had the same experience with my SS only happened once. Driven it 2000 miles since and has started normally. Untill reading your experience I thought I might have had my foot on the accelerator. Everytime I start it I make sure to not let go of the key. I don,t think I hurt the motor, but sure was scarey. Told the dealer of my experience, he had no other complaints, but has only sold about 10 machines. Guess I,ll call and talk to the service manager and find out if the accelerator may be the problem. App. 3600 miles to date and for the most part I,m a very happy SS owner. A little disappointed in Polaris for not suppling some sort of a tool kit as it is mentioned in the owners manual to even include a pressure gauge to ck tire pressure. If they don,t do what they say in writing ,I,m wondering how good their warranty policy is!
reflashed a couple days ago ; flare gone

·
Registered
194 Posts

This same thing happen to me twice which threw me into a WTF event on the second time. The first time I thought I had press on the gas pedal in error but realized I hadn't. I now ensure the system totally reboots and hear for the gas pump to stop before pressing the "start" button. Hasn't happened again but always start my SS with my hand on the key just in case it happens. It happened when I only had a little over 200 miles on it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I am not alone on this. Mine is at the dealer at this time with the rev limit issue. This is the second time it's in for that. The mechanic tried to replicate the problem while driving it. Didn't happen to him. The other day my Son took it for a couple days and a mile from home it hung up on him. After that he drove it for 200 miles without incident. It is a hit and miss. Sure hope the dealer and Polaris can get a grip on this. Nobody wants a fatality or legal action to get the attention needed at this stage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since I put a Codeman exhaust on and had the 2016 ECU update, the thing runs like a charm. The way I always wanted it to. However, keeping your hand on the key it a good tip. Got the same mileage and have fallen in love with it again. Keeping fingers crossed on rear bearing issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
This same thing is happening to my 2016 Polaris Slingshot and has been at a licensed Polaris shop for over 2 months and they can’t seem to fix it even though they opened a claim with Polaris for tech support. They are aware of this dangerous issue and aren’t doing anything about it. Submit your claim to the government so they will be responsible for fixing it. They may have been lives lost from their negligence.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I am not alone on this. Mine is at the dealer at this time with the rev limit issue. This is the second time it's in for that. The mechanic tried to replicate the problem while driving it. Didn't happen to him. The other day my Son took it for a couple days and a mile from home it hung up on him. After that he drove it for 200 miles without incident. It is a hit and miss. Sure hope the dealer and Polaris can get a grip on this. Nobody wants a fatality or legal action to get the attention needed at this stage.

Hi,
This same thing is happening to my 2016 Polaris Slingshot and has been at a licensed Polaris shop for over 2 months and they can’t seem to fix it even though they opened a claim with Polaris for tech support. They are aware of this dangerous issue and aren’t doing anything about it. Submit your claim to the government so they will be responsible for fixing it. They may have been lives lost from their negligence.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Other people (not many) have also had this same issue. Glad to hear that nobody was hurt and all is well. I would make two suggestions to you.

1. Let it bounce off of the rev limiter until it blows up and get a new one under warranty (kind of a joke, but not really)
2. Look into getting your ECU tuned by @MEFIburn

Polaris will most likely send you a new ECU, but personally I would pay the $400 bucks and get it tuned instead. Make Polaris pick up the bill.

Good luck and stay safe!
Hi,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine flared once when I hit the started before it cycled. I immediately killed the key and can't replicate it again... 1/15 build 2/15 purchase.

Hi,

·
Registered
16 Posts

Hi,

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the same , at least I think its the same, flaring issues. But it only happens when the engine is cold or at least been on for under 5 minutes and happens when I'm going downhill. It will flare up to 4-5rpm then right back down. usually happens when I'm coasting downhill and not in gear. It doesn't happen anytime after that, even if I go down the same hill again during my drive. Maybe its the wacky ECU of the slingshot but slingky has so many wacky attibutes I don't really notice it much anymore

1 - 20 of 20 Posts