Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
381 - 389 of 389 Posts
Discussion starter · #381 ·
Seriously... We have not pulled it apart yet... but since I rebuilt the head and did not take apart the bottom end and we knew that the damaged cylinder that was under the melted valve might have a case of piston slap... it was only a matter of time... and I was hoping that it would stay together long enough to enjoy MV. Well, that did not happen. So, I am pretty sure that once we crack it open, there is either a severe case of broken crank, rods and pistons or... just a broken crank. either way, I am glad I still have my backup motor.

Discussion starter · #382 ·
In the case of Jamie's Motor... it appears that the lightened flywheel could not handle a day of Dyno thrashing, and since he loaded it up from the dyno to come straight to the MV event, and it only lasted all of 1 hour... we are pretty sure that it was the flywheel falling apart from the severe torque that lil monster is putting out... So his will be a little easier to fix... mine, not so much.

Discussion starter · #385 ·
I'm quite pleased with my past performance of my F-Motor, I found out that by listening to others whom I assumed had more knowledge than I did of this motor led to my motor's dimise. If I had stuck to my original build plan, I think I would not be having the issues that I am now having.

I now know that by adding the thicker head gasket to lower the compression on the motor and also adding an aftermarket cam chain tensioner, I over stressed the cam chain idler gear bushing (#10 in the diagram), which failed and caused the cam chain gears to go all out of alignment and destroy my nice new head! Plus, the number 4 rear piston that got a "slight" bit of damage in Vegas was actually alot worse than we thought and I should have gone ahead and done a complete rebuild, but lesson learned.

We will tear this motor down, salvage what parts we can, take my original record setting motor and rebuild it, and be back in business before the October 1/2 mile races in Ocala.

So what's going on lately with the honda powered sling? Been a long time since June of 18
I believe Mark put it up for sale due to surgery. I am not sure if it ever sold so he might still have it, but things have come to a pause for now.

Discussion starter · #388 ·
I sold the sling with a brand new motor (15 miles on it, and the 7th motor) in late December of last year to a gentleman in South Carolina, he drove it for 3 days before the SC pulley came off and took out the front of the motor setup.... He is in the process of converting it back to a turbo system and is planning on going after the 1/2 mile speed record that is currently held by Robert Brinson... That is the last I heard about it. We also sold my wife's Slingshot and the fender company, Three's da Life..... I enjoyed my 5 year run in the Three wheelers, made lot's of good friends, some that will be lifelong..... and I have moved on the rebuilding my knees at this point and still going after my bucket list item #1 to race up Pikes Peak in something different.... So hopefully, in 2020, I'll be running Pikes Peak in a fully built 1000hp HillClimb truck!

Mark. Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the slings are gone. But sounds like you got a great plan for the future. Hill climbing Truck sounds like Tons of Fun. Hope the knees start feeling better soon. Loved reading this thread. You where Slingshot pioneer

381 - 389 of 389 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.