Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Three's da Life SiRT Slingshot Honda Build started the 19th!

54K views 388 replies 41 participants last post by  Lambosling 
#1 · (Edited)
Today is the beginning of the newest project to come out of the garages of Three's da Life: the Slingshot STR! We are going from the standard ecotec 2.4 motor with 5spd transmission to a AP1 Honda S2000 2.0 motor and 6speed transmission. No more turbo needed. This stock setup will begin life in the Slingshot at 235hp and be able to red line at 8600rpms! With help from Jamie Roy and his crew in Kentucky we will be using his personalized Haltech programmer and dash with no ECU from Polaris or Honda! After the guys at DDM finish the dyno base line we then will proceed to stage 2, which will be the goal of 350hp and 9000rpm red line all while staying NA and running a wild custom built side exhaust built and designed by Three's da Life! Stay tuned on the forum for this first of its kind build that starts TODAY! You can also get updates at www.threesdalife.com or go to working threes da life facebook group Log into Facebook | Facebook to keep with progress

#2 · (Edited)
We got the motor and trans from a early Honda S2000 on Saturday, and I purchased a ITB kit from a young lady down in South Florida for the induction system. Had a great meeting with @jamieroy and his crew while they were down in Florida doing the SS Takeover in Orlando and they are starting on their part of the project. After the Thanks Giving holiday weekend, We will begin the teardown on my Sling and the mockup of the motor. Our preliminary measurements seem to show that the honda motor and transmission are only 1/2" wider and 1/2" longer than the ecotec motor, if that stays true, I would think it might come close to a drop in.... but you never know.?

#3 ·

Some folks are questioning why I would go with the Honda motor instead of the V8 swap or just stay with my turbo set-up, this is the video I found that explians it best, I don't understand a word the guy is saying in the video, but if you watch it, you'll see the beauty in having a machine that can perform the feats of speed and agility that this lil monster can. True... the vehicle is lighter weight than our slings, but this thing is running a "stock" s2000 motor and trans, that is 235hp. After we finish with this build, we will be in the range of 300whp and with just one 345 rear tire, 300whp is all you need to scare the bejeusus out of yourself and have FUN all at one time!

#5 ·
By the way...... I don't know if you guys and gals have been to @Noel Hughes lately, but this new hood hinge setup that he has is sweet! We put it on the Sling last weekend while atthe toy ride and the difference it makes in the way the hood opens and closes and the extra room you get from having it on is fantastic! If you are somebody who likes to work on your motor or if you just want a way to gain more access to yourengine compartment, you need t ocheck that out. Polaris Slingshot Accessories Parts and Custom Mods

#11 · (Edited)
Me and Jamie Roy have been trying to determine how much work would be involved and working outthe ITB's and having no DBW throttle like the stock Polaris ecu does, then I found this on line and it is designed to work with the Haltech Programmer, so hopefully this will work out.... Electronic Actuation : Electronic throttle actuator - Jenvey Dynamics

#13 ·
Love it SD. You are doing the motor of my choice for the SS.

What some people don't get is the VTEC is sort of unique. They aren't huge torque like an LS3 off idle (which is great for a smoke show I suppose on a vehicle like the SS) but they come on really strong and predictable and really come on a little higher in the RPM range which is exactly what a light vehicle like the SS needs IMO.

Looking forward to the build. :)

#17 ·

The Monster on Alpha's site:
Alpha Powersport #1 In Polaris Slingshot Performance

Build is under the direction of Henry (@Turbosling) who credits his guys with another incredible machine (and it is).

The Slingshot Forums thread is:
Alpha Powersport SEMA 2015 Experience
(please go there to comment)

Hopefully this thread won't derail, the Honda engine @Stickerdick is putting in is a "more appropriate" fit for the Slingshot. Several members have been talking about doing such a thing for months, @Stickerdick beat everyone to doing it. There's a handful of guys here glued to this thread.

#23 ·

The Monster on Alpha's site:
Alpha Powersport #1 In Polaris Slingshot Performance

Build is under the direction of Henry (@Turbosling) who credits his guys with another incredible machine (and it is).

The Slingshot Forums thread is:
Alpha Powersport SEMA 2015 Experience
(please go there to comment)

Hopefully this thread won't derail, the Honda engine @Stickerdick is putting in is a "more appropriate" fit for the Slingshot. Several members have been talking about doing such a thing for months, @Stickerdick beat everyone to doing it. There's a handful of guys here glued to this thread.
Love Henry and the Gang from Alpha and talked to him about helping with the conversion, but the travel time from Florida to where the Alpha team is was just too far for my budget, and I think since I'm wanting to do allot of the mockup work myself, it was just a better fit for me to go with Jamie Roy and Haltech and the gang at DDM.

#24 ·
I don't mind the hijacking so much, but it's the totally opposite of what we are trying to build. I want a setup where the power comes on smooth and then once you have the SS moving and the VTEC kicks in and ZOOM..... off you fly to 9000rpms and no tire breaking away , just acceleration! If I want to do a spinning trick and make smoke until I throw up, I'll just go to a KISS concert!

#26 ·
I'm actually more excited about this build than I would be a V-8 build. I love V-8's don't get me wrong, but I am a Japanese hyper-bike fanatic and IMO there is nothing, I mean nothing, that has the sound of a well tuned Japanese inline 4 at full tilt. The Honda V-TEC is the closest thing to a sportbike motor in a car you will find.

I had a new Prelude SH the last year they were made and that motor (even way back in the day) was a hoot. When that V-TEC kicks in it's like unleashing a whole other beast. Beautiful technology behind it.

#27 ·
My wife bought a brand new S2000 back when they first came out , Black on Black. And I was like.... "that little go kart of a car won't be much fun!", about a week later she let me take it out for a drive and I was amazed at the driveability and the controlable power it had! I hope it will translate to the SlingShot and since the Sling weights about 700lbs. less than a S2000, it should be a blast to drive! And i'll post the differance in the weights ofthe motors once we getthe ecotech out next week, but our preliminary guess is that the new setup with the S2000 motor over the turbo'ed Ecotech will weigh about 100lbs lighter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.