Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Had the privilege of meeting Steve Larsen Saturday at Cars and Coffee. He is a writer for a few motorcycle magazines and very knowledgeable on most all bikes. He is also a new member of our forum and has a SL on order, due any day. Funny, he was kind of aggregated to see a slingshot Saturday when Polaris promised him the first in Phoenix. You would think Polaris would bend over backwards to get Steve his Polaris first, after all the pen is a very powerful weapon.
Anyways, here is a link to his article, and give Steve a warm welcome, as I am sure he will give a little review here.

BTW, I won't tell you what Steve drove up in, but it was yellow, and very very fast.

enjoy.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/polaris-slingshot-can-am-spyder-f3-morgan-3-wheeler

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, Paul. It was a pleasure to meet you as well. BTW, the link above is to a shoot out between the Slingshot, Morgan and Can-am Spyder done by the guys at motorcycles.com. For the record, this is not one of the outlets I write for, although I think they do nice work. I've got a good amount of seat time in a Morgan 3-wheeler but Paul's Slingshot SL ride yesterday was my real chance to test it. More later.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Welcome Steve, looks like you'll be a good addition to the forum! Looking forward to see what you have to say about the SS

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm looking forward to mine actually arriving. My editor at MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News), Dave Searle, went to Mpls for the launch and had a chance to drive it then. He wrote about his impressions in our September issue. I didn't get a chance to see it up close and give it a spin around a parking lot until the launch of the Indian Scout at Sturgis. I suspect Polaris may be on to something here. The company has been uncanny at identifying new market opportunities in the motorsports area and they execute well.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome Steve, great to hear that you will be getting your SS soon.

I was told in about two weeks, did they tell you the same thing ? :confused::banghead:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm looking forward to mine actually arriving. My editor at MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News), Dave Searle, went to Mpls for the launch and had a chance to drive it then. He wrote about his impressions in our September issue. I didn't get a chance to see it up close and give it a spin around a parking lot until the launch of the Indian Scout at Sturgis. I suspect Polaris may be on to something here. The company has been uncanny at identifying new market opportunities in the motorsports area and they execute well.
Welcome Steve, and looking forward to your driving impressions.

The SS promises to be fun but the jury is still out on how well Polaris executed this time.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks, Paul. It was a pleasure to meet you as well. BTW, the link above is to a shoot out between the Slingshot, Morgan and Can-am Spyder done by the guys at motorcycles.com. For the record, this is not one of the outlets I write for, although I think they do nice work. I've got a good amount of seat time in a Morgan 3-wheeler but Paul's Slingshot SL ride yesterday was my real chance to test it. More later.
How about writing about the poor finish and other common defects about the Slingshot. Maybe Polaris will give a shit then.

·
Registered
202 Posts
How about writing about the poor finish and other common defects about the Slingshot. Maybe Polaris will give a shit then.
I don't think that is needed. Every issue should fall under the warrenty and Polaris has responded to some of them so you know they are paying attention. I believe that once Polaris gets caught up they will make sure every issue is handeled.
We can't expect them to get all orders filled and all existing problems solved at the same time. This requires skilled people to fix these issues and they are concentrated on filling orders. No buisness has skilled people sitting around waiting to solve issues (and remain profitable) so maybe we should cut them a little slack until it is proven different IMO.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't think that is needed. Every issue should fall under the warrenty and Polaris has responded to some of them so you know they are paying attention. I believe that once Polaris gets caught up they will make sure every issue is handeled.
We can't expect them to get all orders filled and all existing problems solved at the same time. This requires skilled people to fix these issues and they are concentrated on filling orders. No buisness has skilled people sitting around waiting to solve issues (and remain profitable) so maybe we should cut them a little slack until it is proven different IMO.
I don't know if i agree with this.
For a company to continue to ship out defective products, even potentially defective products that affect quality control issues and safety issues, some of which could cause a wreck and possibly cost someone their life, like the engine stuttering problems, the sharp edges on the body panels, having wiring too close to the steering knuckle that can and has caused immediate and sudden engine shut off is a very dangerous thing.
For a company to say, "Well, we know there are these issues, but we will fix it later after a few people die and we are sued for hundreds of Millions because sending out defective products are so good for business and is better than waiting a week, fixing the ones already built and then sending them out."
If i am hit because one of these issues caused a wreck, My family and i will be retiring on a private island somewhere bought and paid for by Polaris and their Billion dollar plus company.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I am somewhere in the middle ground on the topic of defects. Even though I can't ride mine for another few months I am not sure that a stop-ship for several weeks or even months is the proper course of action. What I would like to see is some Polaris representation on these boards that could respond to the issues that are being posted with possible resolution. I have no problem at all if the plan is to have the dealers address engine idle problems, poor body work, loose wires etc....

This would be no different than what is commonly done in any of these types of situations. In fact I cannot think of a single toy or automobile I have purchased in the last five years that has not been part of a recall for defects in manufacturing or assembly. These are always attended to by the dealer.

Edit: It appears we are beginning to see some communications from Polaris HQ on certain topics of interest. The latest is here: http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/slingshot-team-update.1759/

Nothing addressing specific quality issues yet but this is very promising and my guess is we have a good chance of some communication specific to this in the near future.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am somewhere in the middle ground on the topic of defects. Even though I can't ride mine for another few months I am not sure that a stop-ship for several weeks or even months is the proper course of action. What I would like to see is some Polaris representation on these boards that could respond to the issues that are being posted with possible resolution. I have no problem at all if the plan is to have the dealers address engine idle problems, poor body work, loose wires etc....

This would be no different than what is commonly done in any of these types of situations. In fact I cannot think of a single toy or automobile I have purchased in the last five years that has not been part of a recall for defects in manufacturing or assembly. These are always attended to by the dealer.

Edit: It appears we are beginning to see some communications from Polaris HQ on certain topics of interest. The latest is here: http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/slingshot-team-update.1759/

Nothing addressing specific quality issues yet but this is very promising and my guess is we have a good chance of some communication specific to this in the near future.
I read the message from Polaris earlier thats why I said they seem to be paying attention.
I agree with Allin5450 but some of these issues are just showing up (RPM) and others are on the first bunch that are starting to get addressed like one of the members hood replacement that he didn't even know was going to happen. I just believe it will all work out and the more critical issues that have just showed up like the RPM problem should be a priority for their engineers.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I read the message from Polaris earlier thats why I said they seem to be paying attention.
I agree with Allin5450 but some of these issues are just showing up (RPM) and others are on the first bunch that are starting to get addressed like one of the members hood replacement that he didn't even know was going to happen. I just believe it will all work out and the more critical issues that have just showed up like the RPM problem should be a priority for their engineers.
Yes Brent, I believe we should get a list of issues and present them. WE are the first responders. They WILL address each issue, I think and hope they will.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve, looking forward to read your thoughts on the SL test!

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Welcome to the asylum Steve! Make sure you take your meds or nurse Ratched will punish you.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I called Polaris about the issues everyone has and they act as if they have never heard of any of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts