Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Good luck with "Charging Every Corner" with that thing behind your SS. :hungover:

Pretty cool look though!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would lower down. It has air suspension. But the sloshing of the fuel would be bad. :) bet it dont have baffles.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That's a very cool trailer. I never knew that the itch on a spyder was attached to the wheel. Does the itch come standard on a spyder or do you have to purchase a itch yourself?:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
That trailer looks neat but it is comical as far as practical use. There are M/C trailers that would be much better suited for the SS and aerodynamic. The low-tech, pitch inertia (or cush) drawbar on the "tanker" trailer is patented by another trailer manufacturer who vigorously defends his patents. We'll see how long that lasts.

The hitch on a Spyder is an add-on. It slips on the swing-arm and therefore, un-sprung.

I will be pulling one of these behind the SS...if I ever get my grimey hands on it.

On-board air compressor and charging outlets...I leave my phone on charge in the trailer and Bluetooth it to the front.

The patent holder on the right...

It is built of E-Glass so no cold-creep associated with fiberglass. Weighs 200 lbs. empty including battery and air compressor.

Z

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I dont get trailers for motorcycles.
Once you put it on you take away all the dynamics that make riding a motorcycle unique and fun and make it ordinary and mundane.
Performance? Gone.
Twisties? Why bother
Lean? Forget it.

Took my BMW 1200rt cross country and didnt need a trailer and could still have fun on it and drive it like a motorcycle.
Cant imagine it would make the Slingshot funner to drive cross country driving it with a big trailer behind you.
If you have to take that much shit with you youre taking the wrong vehicle.
I guess if youre an older guy or something maybe, IDK.
I dont get it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Riding 2 up with my wife cross country pulling an Escapade with my Goldwing for 1-2 week trips, the trailer makes a huge difference. You take the trailer off at certain destinations and go ride, but even then with the trailer on, I've never experience any loss of performance, lack of aggressiveness into the twisties or lean while pulling it. No qualms about pulling it at 80-90 mph, in fact in high wind conditions it seems to act like a stabilizer like the tail on a kite.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've pulled an Aspen sentry trailer behind my K1200lt and both a GL1500 and GL1800. Like you SlingJocky, I've never had any performance problems in twisties or other situations. The fact that it's also a popup camper just helps on the long trips.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
And I bet you guys would tell me it didnt effect braking what so ever either.
IDK, maybe we have different definitions of changing riding dynamics by strapping on a few hundred more pounds on the back of a bike.
More power to ya, I just dont get it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Riding 2 up with my wife cross country pulling an Escapade with my Goldwing for 1-2 week trips, the trailer makes a huge difference. You take the trailer off at certain destinations and go ride, but even then with the trailer on, I've never experience any loss of performance, lack of aggressiveness into the twisties or lean while pulling it. No qualms about pulling it at 80-90 mph, in fact in high wind conditions it seems to act like a stabilizer like the tail on a kite.
It never stops amazing me how individuals who have never done a cross country trip with a partner { wife or other ) have so much knowledge about it? It reminds me of bikers that talked so badly about the Road Glide and never ever ridden one, yet there quick to comment about how they hate the fixed fairing. Of course maybe age plays a role and I will give them that. I just happen to like the Time Out motorcycle camper. Set it up and go touring with a smile.

·
Registered
362 Posts
And I bet you guys would tell me it didnt effect braking what so ever either.
IDK, maybe we have different definitions of changing riding dynamics by strapping on a few hundred more pounds on the back of a bike.
More power to ya, I just dont get it.
It's not for everyone, but for those who enjoy the extra capacity for fuel or whatever has the options of taking it or not. Nothing wrong with it. Heck I don't get mopeds but there still sold.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just dont get it.
I believe you nailed it with that comment...you just don't get it.

Dust that Beemer off and let's go for a ride. I'll tow and you won't need your rear view mirrors to find me. I'm dead serious...and I'll even haul your extra final drive and tools to put your bike back on the road when it breaks.

Z

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I believe you nailed it with that comment...you just don't get it.

Dust that Beemer off and let's go for a ride. I'll tow and you won't need your rear view mirrors to find me. I'm dead serious...and I'll even haul your extra final drive and tools to put your bike back on the road when it breaks.

Z
I had the 2014 model, bring an extra shock instead.
I have track experience so I may not be as easy as you seem to think.
So ok, you guys can strap on a few hundred pounds and cant feel any difference in performance or driving dynamics.....
The laws of physics cease to be a factor for some of you I guess....
Im convinced.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rather than just sitting here typing about the virtues of what can or can't be done while towing a trailer, I figure it would just be easier to show you...and please, bring your track experience with you...it will only add to the fun or embarrassment. I never said you were easy and there wouldn't be much point if you were. I'm not afraid to have my ass handed to me but you'll have to work for it. Yes, the laws of physics still do apply but so does ability and experience. Yes, I will be slightly handicapped with a trailer in tow just like you were packed for your cross country trip....so there is no reason why you should have any trouble smoking my ass....right? We can do twisties or long distance...I'm qualified for either so pick your poison. And when you smoke my ass, please come back here and share with everyone...and I'll gladly confirm it for you if you do and will provide the video. Ain't skeered and not my first rodeo. I can be anywhere in the lower 48 in two days or less. Competition is the spice of life.

Z

1 - 20 of 36 Posts