Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about this, This is a direct drive not a limited slip unit. This is going to be like running a spool.

Was watching one of the videos today, And noticing how easy this thing broke loose around the corners.

My brothers from another mother, Learning to drive this is going to be a unique situation.

I look forward to seeing my ass end a few times Before I figure all this out

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Oh yes. One of the reasons it lays rubber in 3 gears I'm sure. Wonder if it will drift? Obviously the back will break loose but I wonder if it's possible to 3 wheel drift?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Should be able to, RT's (reverse trikes) have always understeer, so just corner fast enough to get to the limit on the front and apply power to to bring the rear end out.

Only two things affect weight transfer on an RT, acceleration and cornering; in 4 wheels spring and swaybar stiffness are additional variables.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Been thinking about this, This is a direct drive not a limited slip unit. This is going to be like running a spool.

Was watching one of the videos today, And noticing how easy this thing broke loose around the corners.

My brothers from another mother, Learning to drive this is going to be a unique situation.

I look forward to seeing my ass end a few times Before I figure all this out
It is NOTHING like running a spool. It only has one rear wheel. The Spool issue comes in when you have two rear drive wheels and the wheels locked to rotate at the same speed at all times. Then when you turn you get hopping as the wheels need to turn at different speeds but can't . It is more like a wheel barrel that does not lean.

It breaks loose because it is powerful and people are having fun with it tossing it around. Don't let the fun factor cloud your vision for the machines potential when driven correctly. I can drift my crew cab F350 Ford 4x4 truck, this does not mean it is not stable or good at what it does.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is NOTHING like running a spool. It only has one rear wheel. The Spool issue comes in when you have two rear drive wheels and the wheels locked to rotate at the same speed at all times. Then when you turn you get hopping as the wheels need to turn at different speeds but can't . It is more like a wheel barrel that does not lean.

It breaks loose because it is powerful and people are having fun with it tossing it around. Don't let the fun factor cloud your vision for the machines potential when driven correctly. I can drift my crew cab F350 Ford 4x4 truck, this does not mean it is not stable or good at what it does.
You missed the point entirely BIGFOOT. I was not relating to creeping around a corner and hearing the tires chirping. I was referring to hard cornering in a vehicle with a limited slip rear-end. You have one tire pulling and the off tire will be slightly floating and providing a little more grip.

In the SS there will be no off tire to provide a little more grip. This will make for a fun vehicle to drift, but you need to be ready for it. That ass end is going to want to come around.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You missed the point entirely BIGFOOT. I was not relating to creeping around a corner and hearing the tires chirping. I was referring to hard cornering in a vehicle with a limited slip rear-end. You have one tire pulling and the off tire will be slightly floating and providing a little more grip.

In the SS there will be no off tire to provide a little more grip. This will make for a fun vehicle to drift, but you need to be ready for it. That ass end is going to want to come around.
Yep - Sure did brother my mistake :oops:. Yes it will lack that bit of drag an extra wheel can provide. I thinks from what I understand with the reviews, the Traction Control more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - Sure did brother my mistake :oops:. Yes it will lack that bit of drag an extra wheel can provide. I thinks from what I understand with the reviews, the Traction Control more than makes up for it.
I would bet seeing that 350 dual cab 4 x 4 truck drifting, would be a site to see. :D

It has been a long time since I have been so pumped about a new toy

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah I am really surprised how psyched I am about this. I have been really motivated to finish up and move out my stalled Impala project. I am even taking some vacation time to make it happen! I had planned to wait until April to miss winter to buy, but now I catch myself thinking "Maybe it won't be THAT cold this year"

·
Registered
843 Posts
Oh yes. One of the reasons it lays rubber in 3 gears I'm sure. Wonder if it will drift? Obviously the back will break loose but I wonder if it's possible to 3 wheel drift?
Its possible...but very hard...i just view one guy can do it with the T-Rex...and i think it will be harder with the SS because the highest tail...I am not the one will try it!!!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Only two things affect weight transfer on an RT, acceleration and cornering; in 4 wheels spring and swaybar stiffness are additional variables.
You forgot the position of the CG, both how far ahead and above the rear wheel axis will GREATLY affect weight transfer. Unfortunately the CG factors that make the SS corner well will make weight transfer not that great. A recent post quoted one reviewer as saying the SS will have 0-60 times in the 4 second range. I'll bet that is wildly optimistic but I'd love to be wrong.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Its possible...but very hard...i just view one guy can do it with the T-Rex...and i think it will be harder with the SS because the highest tail...I am not the one will try it!!!
Why do you think the height of the tail would have anything to do with it? Drifting is all about tire compound, temperature, width, pressure, HP/Torque and sidewall height. See big spoilered RX-7 in video. Bonus moto drifting.

I'm sure as hell gonna give it a go!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Why do you think the height of the tail would have anything to do with it? Drifting is all about tire compound, temperature, width, pressure, HP/Torque and sidewall height. See big spoilered RX-7 in video. Bonus moto drifting.

I'm sure as hell gonna give it a go!
Maybe...but like some answer it on another post...you go first...:D

·
Registered
843 Posts
The biggest issue with drifting an SS, aside from the things I already listed, is the fact that it's a single rear drive. Nothing to do with how high the taillights are.
It makes sense, I'm sure we will see a SS to a drift in not long!;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts