Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just sold my 2 wheeler and thinking about Slingshots...The local Craigslist has a couple that I'm interested in, but it would take me a week to read all the forums to become knowledgeable enough to make a good decision. So I'll just ask.

There is a 2015 SL for 13,500. It has a shade, 4200 miles. The VIN checker I found on this forum says there are no unrepaired recalls. There is also a 2017 with 8500 miles that is described as "loaded up", they are asking 14,900. It has very little information included. (No VIN provided) I can see speakers in the pictures, so it must be at least a SL, correct? So my big questions are "Is it worth the extra 1400 for a '17 over a '15? Were there any major improvements during that time? If the '15 has had all the recall stuff taken care of, is it just as reliable as the '17's? (All other things being equal)

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it is is loaded up they must have a list of mods they will share with you if you reach out. You could get the factory recalls done, but it is a red flag if the current owner did not get free repairs done to their SS. Generally speaking you get better value by buying an SS with mods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll reach out to the owner of the '17, see if I can get the VIN (to check for recalls) and a list of add ons. (I'm a little skeptical, I imagine they would list them if they exist...) If the '17 is stock, is there anything inherently better about it than the '15's?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
There were some refinements in '17. Changes to the frame for one and the front 'fenders' are different. '17 is also when they introduced the SLR with Sparco steering wheel, shift knob and, I think, pedal covers. Drive train is the same in both. Speakers could indicate an SL but many bought the base model and put aftermarket stereos in which are generally higher quality than stock so you might want to investigate that. Color can tell you which model it is if it hasn't been painted. If you go to Slingmods, at the bottom of the page is a year/model chart showing them all. Both deals sound good - I really like that $13,500 price but there could be thousands in accessories on the '17. The key is whether or not it's stuff you want or would buy. If so, it might be the better deal. Either way, my recommendation is pull the trigger. The fun is worth the price of admission!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree with slinglow. I don't see a lot of posts about people upgrading models. In general folks are happy with what they have, but through the years there have been some improvements.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Ok, I'll reach out to the owner of the '17, see if I can get the VIN (to check for recalls) and a list of add ons. (I'm a little skeptical, I imagine they would list them if they exist...) If the '17 is stock, is there anything inherently better about it than the '15's?
Josh where are you located? Let us know and maybe one of us is near enough to meet up for coffee..... And a little talk about Slingshot or one of us might be close enough to check out something your looking at. either price would be OK...on the 2017 you might still be able to get an extended warrantee -- just a thought. Lots of smiles per mile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes Josh, where are you at? I have a 2019 that I am considering selling, as much as I’d hate to. It’s a base white model; nothing done. It’s around 400 miles on the odometer. I don’t get out on it as much as I should. I’d make someone a good deal for a gently used model. Lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts