Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the Thermal R&D exhaust last month but just got around to really trying it out this Memorial Day holiday. Wife and I took a 1000 mile round trip thru the Ozarks. The exhaust was well worth the money paid just for the heat reduction alone. The transmission tunnel still gets a little warm but not even close to the heat put off by the stock set-up. I think I would have paid twice the asking price just for the heat reduction we saw!
No heat at all, absolutely none at the passenger floorboard. The ride was so comfortable for my Wife compared to the stock system and she was so happy. Me too.
The sound is great but that is a personal preference. I do not care for loud exhaust, especially the way we use the Slingshot in touring the states. It did have a lower growl, but nothing really much louder than stock.
I have no way of proving this, but it seems like the power band got moved higher in the RPM range. Not a bad thing, just different. Gas mileage seemed a little better too, but not a bunch of difference. No fumes at all, I did not remove the cat.
I installed the system myself, on my back in my garage in a weekend. Not too difficult if your body can take getting up and down and sliding around under a vehicle on jack stands. I did pay a small price at work the next day or two in being somewhat sore from doing it, but I would do it again in a heartbeat just for the heat reduction.
I have read where some people were not able to use the stock heat shield Polaris put behind the muffler, I had no problem reinstalling that part.
Hope this helps someone to make the purchase if heat is your passengers problem because that problem will go away, have no doubt about that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I installed the Thermal R&D exhaust last month but just got around to really trying it out this Memorial Day holiday. Wife and I took a 1000 mile round trip thru the Ozarks. The exhaust was well worth the money paid just for the heat reduction alone. The transmission tunnel still gets a little warm but not even close to the heat put off by the stock set-up. I think I would have paid twice the asking price just for the heat reduction we saw!
No heat at all, absolutely none at the passenger floorboard. The ride was so comfortable for my Wife compared to the stock system and she was so happy. Me too.
The sound is great but that is a personal preference. I do not care for loud exhaust, especially the way we use the Slingshot in touring the states. It did have a lower growl, but nothing really much louder than stock.
I have no way of proving this, but it seems like the power band got moved higher in the RPM range. Not a bad thing, just different. Gas mileage seemed a little better too, but not a bunch of difference. No fumes at all, I did not remove the cat.
I installed the system myself, on my back in my garage in a weekend. Not too difficult if your body can take getting up and down and sliding around under a vehicle on jack stands. I did pay a small price at work the next day or two in being somewhat sore from doing it, but I would do it again in a heartbeat just for the heat reduction.
I have read where some people were not able to use the stock heat shield Polaris put behind the muffler, I had no problem reinstalling that part.
Hope this helps someone to make the purchase if heat is your passengers problem because that problem will go away, have no doubt about that.
Thanks essixx for the great review, glad you're enjoying the system. That will help me pull the trigger on it soon.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Howdy, new to the forum here. Good post! I'm trying to find something quieter and have been looking at this system. Any issues with ground clearance for you? I'm assuming, since it's rear exhaust that it would be quieter than the stock system? Plus I'm glad you mentioned the stock heatshield too...couldn't get a stright answer on any of this. I listened to the videos, but really can't tell..but I like the sound better...I think??? Any input from you would be great! Thank you!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum!
No issues with ground clearance yet, but I have not went over speed bumps, yet. No trouble leaving or entering driveways, but I do take it easy if it is steep.
As far as sound. I eould say just a little louder, but in a good way. A little deeper tone but not crazy. Took away the "milktruck" sound of the stock exhaust, IMO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
No issues with ground clearance yet, but I have not went over speed bumps, yet. No trouble leaving or entering driveways, but I do take it easy if it is steep.
As far as sound. I eould say just a little louder, but in a good way. A little deeper tone but not crazy. Took away the "milktruck" sound of the stock exhaust, IMO.
Thanks for the fast reply...easier to talk? some have said it reduced the "droning" sound at highway speeds? I really appreciate the help. BTW...I grew up in Ames! thanks again!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Having driven my 2017 SL mostly short, local trips before last week's gathering in Maggie Valley, I had not experienced the heat build up under the passenger's seat and feet. Now, having ridden in the passenger seat for about 3 hours with the ambient temperature just below 100, I am VERY aware of it - to the point that I think Polaris needs to rethink their current stock exhaust system. Seriously! The heat coming from under the passenger seat on the right was at least 40 degrees or more hotter than elsewhere in the cockpit, and my feet grew uncomfortably warm. My wife already doesn't like to ride with me much. If that had been her sitting there instead of me, she would likely have withdrawn her support of my Slingshotting altogether. Don't get me wrong - she doesn't tell me what to do, but we normally do things together. A better designed exhaust system should be high on Polaris' list of potential improvements in future Slingshots. Meanwhile, I am happy to hear about after market fixes for this deficiency.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Very aware of heat. Wife even rides barefoot now on our 8 hour trips and loves it. Polaris needs something like this exhaust from Thermal to be standard from the factory.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great review! I’m just waiting on collecting my pennies together, then I’m going with the R&D. I have 1320 front exit now, and it drones and still makes wife’s feet hot! Can’t wait:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
This winter I Installed the Thermal R&D Exhaust,1320 Stainless exhaust Header, 1320 Downpipe, and new Polaris OEM cold Air Intake. My wife is thrilled at the difference in the temperature and the noise reduction when cruising. As you accelerate you do get a nice throaty sound, not loud, just deeper and coming from the rear. It was an expensive upgrade but living here in North Carolina we ride every weekend when the weather permits so a good investment. I am thinking I will add the Paramount hood vent heat extractor just in case it does remove a bit more of the heat. Reviews seem mixed on its effectiveness there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice write up. I've been considering this exhaust for a while now. It really sounds pleasing to my ears from the video Slingmods video, but just wanted confirmation from others on how hard the install is without a lift and the results after install. I was thinking about going with the front exit exhaust from Thermal, but I really like this rear exit dual set up more. Thanks again for the review, it helps in others making sound decisions in the future!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are used to doing mods yourself the install isn't too challenging. I used two floor jacks and 4 jackstands to get the sling as high as possible to make it easier. Once lifted on the jackstands you will need a jack to support the transmission housing at one point. Challenges were getting the springs off and back on and proper spacing of the pipes past the engine.. There is a rubber spacer holding the water pipe away from the firewall that I replaced with a larger piece of rubber to get the maximum clearance. I also posted comments on my install experience on Slingmods.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Think i am going to order this exhaust. Can you use a 1320 V 2 header as well??
That’s a good question! I have the V2 as well. I. Sure you will have to use a cat delete pipe to connect from header to the exhaust pipe, as the way I read the specs it’s designed to be installed with the cat pipe? I don’t want the cat pipe as heat is mainly what I’m trying to lessen to start with;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Research R&D Thermal exhaust along with the 1320 V2 header installed. I must say, I’m more than satisfied. This exhaust has done everything I expected and more. It has reduced heat, it looks awesome and it’s not too loud. I would say it has the perfect amount of growl and sound. I installed mine myself in my garage with a floor jack and 2 jack stands. It’s not real difficult to install, but it will require more time if you don’t use a lift. Oh yeah, you will need a stubby 17mm wrench to mount the exhaust to the transmission bracket because of the tight space. And I would tightened the exhaust to the transmission bracket before attaching the tips to the hangers. That will ensure you have more clearance by allowing the exhaust to be seated in the lowest mounting position. Other than that just follow the instructions that come with it. But it is well worth every penny. It’s actually my favorite mod, other than my top.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the Research R&D Thermal exhaust along with the 1320 V2 header installed. I must say, I’m more than satisfied. This exhaust has done everything I expected and more. It has reduced heat, it looks awesome and it’s not too loud. I would say it has the perfect amount of growl and sound. I installed mine myself in my garage with a floor jack and 2 jack stands. It’s not real difficult to install, but it will require more time if you don’t use a lift. Oh yeah, you will need a stubby 17mm wrench to mount the exhaust to the transmission bracket because of the tight space. And I would tightened the exhaust to the transmission bracket before attaching the tips to the hangers. That will ensure you have more clearance by allowing the exhaust to be seated in the lowest mounting position. Other than that just follow the instructions that come with it. But it is well worth every penny. It’s actually my favorite mod, other than my top.
Great review
Are you using v1 or v2 header? How about downpipe? If I am correct you deleted the cat ? Any improvement in performance with 1320 header??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great review
Are you using v1 or v2 header? How about downpipe? If I am correct you deleted the cat ? Any improvement in performance with 1320 header??
I'll chime in while your waiting for SlingLife. I just installed the v2 and j pipe and there is power increase, I can feel it. When you compare the header outlet diameter to the stock manifold and get rid of the restrictive cat j pipe you can see why. The stock exhaust has a small cat in it also according to someone on here that cut one open, so adding the R&D kit will open it up even more. Let the puppies breath,LOL!:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great review
I am running the V2, but I think you will get the same performance with the V1. V2 is just a little thicker steel, for exhaust that don’t have supports, it can just hang from the header. I am still running my OEM Cat, but even with it I notice a difference in power by adding the V2. It’s noticeably quicker in response and performance even with the CAT. Just the header alone is a must have mod in my opinion. From what I’ve read the header alone adds like 9 or 10 hp. I can definitely say I notice all 10 of them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts