Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post up pictures of your helmets or what type of helmet you think you will wear in the Slingshot.

I recently picked up the new Bell Bullitt and I think it will get a lot of wear :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Coming from cycling, I am going need some big input from you guys on what kind of helmet to buy.
All I know is I want a light color or white (sun reflection), light weight, and lots of air flow for the heat.
All advise taken.
Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
The kid in me really digs the matte black Monster Energy helmets. Not sure if I'd go with the offroad, onroad, or hybrid style. Some of the ones above are very intriguing. I haven't been helmet shopping for some time, and haven't seen how well they have evolved.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The kid in me really digs the matte black Monster Energy helmets. Not sure if I'd go with the offroad, onroad, or hybrid style. Some of the ones above are very intriguing. I haven't been helmet shopping for some time, and haven't seen how well they have evolved.
Helmets have come a long way. They have tons of options and features now. Just when I think I have enough helmets a new one pops up that I have to have :)

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is basically no difference other than some features that might be more beneficial for motorcycles with visibility and such. On a motorcycle I think it's more important to wear a full helmet, where a lot of people my feel more comfortable wearing a 3/4 or open face helmet in a car. Just make sure whatever you get that it's DOT approved.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Some interesting info, quoted from Wikipedia:

In most respects, auto racing helmets are not dissimilar to motorcycle helmets in construction, since they have similar requirements of protecting against extremely high-speed collisions. Modern racing helmets have an outer shell of carbon fiber, an inner shell of thick polystyrene and padding which must be in contact with the wearer’s head.

There are, however, several major differences that make the two types of helmets non-interchangeable:

1. Motorcycle helmets do not need fire protection because at high speed the rider will fly far from a burning motorcycle. In contrast, auto racing helmets must have fire protection since a driver is not likely to be able to escape if a car catches fire.
  2. Auto racing helmets can have a narrower field of view for greater head protection than is possible in a motorcycle helmet, especially when the driver is following a clearly defined track. For this reason, many auto racing helmets are illegal to use on a motorcycle over public roads.
  3. Auto racing helmets must be tested for sharp collisions with a roll bar which a motorcyclist is not likely to encounter.
The fire-proof material used in racing helmets occurs in the inner lining and is known as Nomex, having been first introduced to racing helmets in 1967. In the 1960s and 1970s as crash fireproofing developed, concern became raised that in ordinary use racing helmets offered very little ventilation because they have more complete head coverage than any other type of helmet. Practical solutions to this problem were not developed until the 1980s when thermoelectric cooling was developed; however, most customers and governing bodies have preferred alternative less sophisticated means of improving ventilation over the past thirty years.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Some interesting info, quoted from Wikipedia:
I was thinking more on the practicallity side. For example, I have heard some motorcycle helmets are designed for better vision in the tucked position which wouldn't be applicable for a car.

It also appears that motorcycle helmets have more ventilation (as the wearer would be in the oncoming wind) and some car helmets (Simpson) have air systems that can be added. Seems the Slingshot is more motorcycle than car when it comes to wind. Having almost never worn both I have no idea if this is true.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is true in most cases. Motorcycle helmets do have better visibility as stated in the article and usually more vents. However in a car you could get away with more of an open-faced helmet to get more air.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts