Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

No need for a Motorcycle license either!

Starting July 1, citizens of Connecticut will be able to legally purchase and register their three-wheeled Polaris Slingshot. Last Friday, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy signed a law that puts the Slingshot into a new category of vehicles, the "Autocycle." This also will enable the Department of Motor Vehicles to other three-wheeled vehicles, such as the Elio, T-Rex and Morgan.

Apparently, however, consumer demand is far out weighing the state supply. "They're so popular. Its going to be forever before I get one in," said the owner of Libby's Motorworld, a Slingshot dealership in New Haven, Conn. He predidcted that he wont see a Polaris Slingshot in his dealership until August, and that it might very well be a 2016 model.

Despite the supply/demand issues, the DMV will begin licensing autocycles on July 1. One of the biggest differences between motorcycles and autocycles will be that you wont need a "M" classification on your license to operate an autocycle.

Part of the reason why the bill was passed was that lobbyists were able to promote the benefits to the State, including increased revenue from sales tax and property tax, and increased activity for dealers. Additionally, Alinabal Inc. of New Millford, Connecticut, makes many components for the Slingshot, including "stabilizing linkage, ball joints, outer tie rods and steering gear."

This is the definition of an autocycle, according to Connecticut law: a motorcycle derivative that “(A) does not have more than three wheels in contact with the ground, (B) is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and foot pedals for acceleration, braking or shifting, (C) has a seat or seats that are fully or partially enclosed and in which the occupants sit with their legs forward, and (D) is equipped with safety belts…”

The bill was approved last month by the House in a 144-0 vote and approved 34-0 by the Senate.

Source: http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/top-stories/2015/06/09/slingshot-given-the-green-light-in-connecticut-no-motorcycle-license-needed/

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is the helmet law in California at the new law is a very fine line between having to wear one and not it stating that if it's over 4 feet wide and over 9 feet long that you're not required to wear a helmet

·
Registered
738 Posts
I guess I am going to test the CT DMV on July 1, to see just how prepared they are to register the Slingshot. I have a feeling I am going to be in a very bad mood as I have a feeling nobody there is going to know anything about registering one. Even obtaining insurance has been interesting. Geico and Allstate told me they can't sell insurance in CT of the Slingshot. I argued with the lady at Allstate because their site lets you get a quote.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What is the helmet law in California at the new law is a very fine line between having to wear one and not it stating that if it's over 4 feet wide and over 9 feet long that you're not required to wear a helmet
and do forget FULLY ENCLOSED.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just hope you're not going the one in Putnam!!
Nope - the one in Danbury. But I'm not sure it matters. My fear is while the law goes into affect on July 1, this ass-backward state will not have implemented the registration process and if they do will they have communicated it to DMV personnel. I remember all too well the "assault weapon" registration fiasco.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi I'm from CT also and I been checking on registering one .and you are right I went to dmv and they don't no nothing.when I asked they didn't even no it was gona be legalized as of July 1st so yea I think it's gona be a mess

·
Registered
867 Posts
Perhaps it's not the people in the DMV that need to be schooled on what a Slingshot is, rather the computer system that has to accept the VIN to one. So, if that is the case, they might have some computer geeks doctoring up the database overnight, to get you boys up and running tomorrow!! Think positive, it could all be good tomorrow!! However, I would not place a wager on it!!

·
Registered
738 Posts
It is done. There was no issue and the lady knew about the Slingshot being allowed today. The registration says motorcycle and does the plate.

·
Registered
738 Posts
No sorry. The dealer I spoke to in CT wasn't expecting to get any 2015. That is why I decided to look out of state. I would think your dealer should be able to tell you something now - unless he took more deposits that machines he will ever get. Do you know how many he has under deposit?

·
Registered
34 Posts
They actually told me I was the 1st person for a base model and that there were only like 6 deposits in total after me.but now that they are legal they have very little answers..don't know what to do at this point..

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
They actually told me I was the 1st person for a base model and that there were only like 6 deposits in total after me.but now that they are legal they have very little answers..don't know what to do at this point..
Leave your deposit with them. Polaris has said that anyone who has a deposit on a 2015 model and does not receive it, will be "upgraded" to a 2016 and not have to pay the added 2016 price increase. If you take your deposit back and end up placing it with anyone dealer, all they can get you is a 2016 place in line at the new, higher price and extra shipping fees.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts