Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I never buy the first run of anything, the second run will have several changes to them that were discovered in the first run. Dealers will screw you out of thousands because of the limited amount of units produced. Can Am did the same with the Spyder. More accessories will be available year 2 and replacement parts will be in dealer stock.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
^Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of buying it. :) My dealer is not going to discount off of list but he is also not marking it up beyond his normal fees either. Some will gouge and buyers have to push back or this practice will just be perpetuated. Maybe those making payments just look at the extra few bucks a month and shrug it off. Second year models always get better but my fairly recent "first year" RZRs have been excellent and Polaris has addressed any critical issues with technical bulletins.

A two year warranty will also help with any issues uncovered in the first year of this release. From past experience with Polaris I am pretty confident that future accessories will be released for this model.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I never buy the first run of anything, the second run will have several changes to them that were discovered in the first run. Dealers will screw you out of thousands because of the limited amount of units produced. Can Am did the same with the Spyder. More accessories will be available year 2 and replacement parts will be in dealer stock.
I think you're being a little over dramatic- my dealer was very fair on pricing. I also asked about second run changes because I too was a little concerned. My dealer received feedback that, due to the fall release, the length of time in development and the demand they have seen so far, there would not be any major changes in the first year or even the second year.

I have never purchased anything without a test drive until now. There is just something different about this vehicle! I will trade it in later for a newer model, but for now I definitely want to drive one of these as soon as possible. I want to be on the cutting edge of Slingshot's release and be one of the first to own and support something this awesome!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think you're being a little over dramatic- my dealer was very fair on pricing. I also asked about second run changes because I too was a little concerned. My dealer received feedback that, due to the fall release, the length of time in development and the demand they have seen so far, there would not be any major changes in the first year or even the second year.

I have never purchased anything without a test drive until now. There is just something different about this vehicle! I will trade it in later for a newer model, but for now I definitely want to drive one of these as soon as possible. I want to be on the cutting edge of Slingshot's release and be one of the first to own and support something this awesome!
As long as you feel you got a fair price, that's all that matters. I called the 2 closest dealers to me, one in Missouri and the other in Arkansas. Both said their units will sell for over MSRP. I have never paid stick for anything and never will
I am not the " got to have it now" type and will wait a couple years when they are selling at a reasonable price.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Finally secured the 3rd spot at my dealer. Playing phone tag almost cost me several months.

As long as you feel you got a fair price, that's all that matters. I called the 2 closest dealers to me, one in Missouri and the other in Arkansas. Both said their units will sell for over MSRP. I have never paid stick for anything and never will
I am not the " got to have it now" type and will wait a couple years when they are selling at a reasonable price.
In the end "as long as you feel you got a fair price" is what is important. I bought my last two cars sight unseen and never driven. I felt I got fair deals on both but I had to work to get the deals I did. Having said that, several guys I know paid large ADMs on Shelby's because they thought it was fair - they thought the car was worth $5k more than sticker. So they felt they got a fair deal regardless of how crazy I thought they were.

Some people think an old Ferrari is worth $30M. Is it worth that? To them, it obviously is.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Put deposit on first SL at my dealer. MSRP plus delivery and title. No additional markup, fees for setup or any other crap. :D

Paying more than MSRP is crazy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Deposit paid today. #3 in line on the pre-order/pre-sold list at VanWalls Powersports in Indianola, IA.
Forgot that OTD was just north of $21K with the options below.

Base model with double bubble windshield.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Deposit paid today. #3 in line on the pre-order/pre-sold list at VanWalls Powersports in Indianola, IA.
Forgot that OTD was just north of $21K with the options below.

Base model with double bubble windshield.
Great Price for OTD! (with dealer fees, shipping, etc.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
hmm, I have a handful of dealers in the area selling the SS. So I guess I'll go in Monday and
make sure they aren't pulling any bs and I'll put my deposit down on one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
$4000 markup in Dallas/fort worth dealer I've been talking to... Guess I'm shopping elsewhere...

"If you go with the SL model you will be looking at $28,345.54 plus service installation"

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was told to expect about $600 to be added for installation and they could not tell me what the shipment price would cost until they get one in. Maybe a grand total is my estimate, not counting taxes?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put a $500 deposit down at Coleman Powersports in Falls Church VA. He told me what that does is reserve the right to buy one, whatever comes in. I think I'm third in line. Whatever they get will be offered to the first person and if they refuse it it goes down the line. I didn't even ask what they will be selling them for so I'll just have to make the decision to buy when the time comes. I just bought a RZR last year and it's awesome but it makes me wish it was street legal, and then this comes out!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Just heard back from a local dealer in response to my questions about a deposit. He told me deposit was $1500 and non-refundable. under those conditions, I guess I'll just wait until I can actually see one to make up my mind.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Polaris should know how some of these dealers are acting on these bikes.
I have to say, if the dealers around here want over advertised price or super high fees.
I won't be buying one anytime soon. This bike that would fly off the floor
with how Polaris has it priced. I will not pay 28k for one of these. But
the listed price I would pay.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Let us know if you've put a deposit down on the Polaris Slingshot. With all of the interest over the past few weeks I have a feeling that supply could be limited over the first couple months after the release.
I am informed by a dealership that each dealer with get 2 SL's and one base unit. Delivery with start end of September to end of October for the first production run. Each dealer is taking reservations to sell the first Shipments. Reservations start at $500 depending on dealership. I will make a reservation on a SL this Tuesday. Will have more information at that time on all cost details.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just heard back from a local dealer in response to my questions about a deposit. He told me deposit was $1500 and non-refundable. under those conditions, I guess I'll just wait until I can actually see one to make up my mind.
OK, that sucks, I'd stay away from that dealer too. With the smaller $500 deposit refundable it's really a no brainer, just let them hold your money for a period of time for a chance to purchase an early one. For me, if it doesn't work out I won't mind waiting until next spring, that way it won't tempt me to freeze my ass by riding it all winter. ;-)

41 - 60 of 329 Posts