Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be super nice, but the price of $9000.00 is a tad steep.

Chevrolet Performance
is the industry leader in crate motor sales, selling pretty much every Small Block under the sun through its annual catalog as well as its website. But many have been asking: where’s the love for the four-cylinder engines?

Answer: it will begin in January 2015, when the 2.0L turbocharged LTG four-cylinder Ecotec engine will become available. However, buyers can order it now (part no. 19328837). First seen in the Cadillac ATS 2.0T, the LTG in crate form boosts a max of 20 psi and is rated at 272 horsepower at 5,500 RPM and 295 pound-feet of torque at 3,000 rpm. And more importantly, it’s for longitudinal, manual transmission applications only. AKA rear-wheel-drive. Yes, you can now turbo-four your F-body… or your Toyota FT86/Scion FR-S.

The engine will be offered as either a standalone unit or coupled with a six-speed manual transmission to go with it. Other stipulations include the fact that fabrication is required to incorporate a charge cooler for air-to-air intercooling. And a high-pressure fuel pump is also required for the integrated direct injection system. The engine carries a 24-month or 50,000-mile/80,000-kilometer limited warranty.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/11/chevrolet-performance-surprises-at-sema-with-new-2-0t-ltg-crate-motor-offering/#ixzz3IfyxELcp

Tom

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Once again I thank Polaris for buying those "old" LE5s and keeping my SS under $20k.

The next engine will surely raise the price.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A 2.0T would be the ideal future of the SS. Any more power would just be unusable, sort of how the hellcat cant use most of its power at any remotely legalish speed.

Polaris could do a SS for under 20k with a modern engine if VW could do it in 2009 for 17k and still had a 3k+ profit margin per base unit. They went with an old engine to minimize risk and thats fine but pending the success I expect future years to start having a modern engine with a very modest price bump (1k or so).

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Once again I thank Polaris for buying those "old" LE5s and keeping my SS under $20k.

The next engine will surely raise the price.
+1
I also don't think they'll go straight from the LE9 to the LTG. Depending on the demand, I could see them doing an "R spec" model while keeping costs down on an entry model.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I don't think Polaris will lower their margins just to keep the price low. There is absolutely no reason to keep the price low if they are selling as many as it appears they are (and will). There is a lot of room before a SS gets to be the magic $30k and I bet it will be there sooner rather than later - especially with a new engine. A $29k SL is in our near future.

The VW doesn't compare simply because it is a mass produced vehicle. They probably sell well over 100,000 units on real, modern assembly lines with multiple models using the same modern engine. Polaris, at the current production estimates, can produce about 10,000 units over the next 12 months and only have one model to put the new modern engine in. Maybe a future 4 passenger RZR could receive a modern 2.0l but how much would that cost and would the market want it? (I would :) )

As we have seen with other auto manufacturers they will raise the price of a wildly successful product along with a new feature (like an engine and transmission). They currently don't have the capacity for full on manufacturing like VW, Ford, GM, etc. If they are producing at capacity, which they appear to be doing, a great way to make more money is to charge more money.

If sales start to wane then they can start giving rebates to lower the price.

I think the only way the price stays low is if they improve the assembly line and production efficiency. Only demand can force them to make the decision: 1. More money per unit (raise the price) 2. Same money per unit - more units (Invest in production efficiency).

·
Registered
210 Posts
A 30k SS would be an epic failure as the car market would eat it alive. You have the balance profit per unit and sales. If you annihilate your sales to keep your profit margin you still lose unless your goal is exclusivity and not profits.

VW had a number of advantages but if the SS sells well you would be fooling yourself if you didnt think bigger kids then polaris with those tools wont be taking a look at entering this market. If polaris jumps price now they will get away with it for a few years and then promptly be eaten alive when the competition arrives.

Price increases are expected with new content but looking at cars is the best example of how it plays out. The new mustang was rebuilt from the ground up and the price increase was minimal compared to the overall cost. Jumping the price up by 25-50% is just a surefire way to kill sales.

I agree totally on that last point.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
There are already people paying 30k for an SS (unfortunately) so it isn't out of the realm of possibility. And getting eaten by what in the car market? Assuming we are still talking about the 2.0l Turbo, what car under 30k can even compares to a 272hp Slingshot? At 6.4lbs/hp the cheapest car that is close is a Shelby gt500 convertible for $60k or a Camaro ZL1 convertible for $67,000.

Sure there are cars out there that are less than 30k and you get a lot for your money but we are trying to compare what people would actually buy vs. the slingshot - to get what the vehicle is intended for. No one is cross shopping a Hyundai Genesis Coupe ($30k) with a Shelby. They are also not cross shopping a Shelby and with a BMW 435 conv. Likewise, there is a reason you buy a Slingshot and not a VW GTI. Would you rather have a 272hp SS or a Miata? Miata's start at $24k but can be had well over $30k - is that a bargain? To many - yes.

As for jumping the price, I don't think it will happen in the first year but 20% after the first two years isn't unheard of. The Nissan GTR went up every year and after the first two it was up 16%. To date it is up around 46% of it's original base price. They sell around 1,200 every year despite the price going up every year.

And yes, I agree with you, if the SS is a success other players will join the party but Polaris will have a 2-3 year head start. Lots of profit can be made in 3 years. And regardless of what price point the SS is at, if it is successful then all the others can do it cheaper (whether the SS is 20k or 30k). So why not make the money now while you can? Hell, by then they can be making their own engines - they would be stupid not to if the SS is a success.

Think of it this way... who in their right mind would spend $23,000 on a UTV when you can get a nice new Jeep wrangler(that is also street legal)? In 2013 495,000 people thought the UTV was a better bargain. That, to me, is AMAZING!

Buy a 2014 Polaris RZR XP1000 vs. a 2014 Jeep Wrangler? Yet Polaris can't make em fast enough. Crazy.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I think you guys are way over optimistic, and way over selling the sling shot. Sorry.
Lets face it, the average car buyer with money burning a hole in their pocket isnt automatically a slingshot buyer. Thats dangerous assumption number 1. The average car buyer does not cross shop with the Polaris so much, dangerous assumption number 2. Middle of the road folks who have the money to burn dont necessarily want a niche vehicle. The Lotus Elise guys are still trying to figure out why EVERYONE IN THE WORLD doesnt want a used Elise for 30k and under, let alone a brand new one. Too many guys here are assuming EVERYONE IN THE WORLD will just gotta have your 20 something thousand dollar TOY once they see it.
Assumption number 3 is that you guys keep comparing it to the car market and not the motorcycle or specialty vehicle market.
I believe the SS will do well, but well for a niche product. You guys seem to think it will be like the microwave oven or the cd player.
They price it at 30k and it might as well be a T-Rex.
Face it guys, the T-Rex went down this road already (ha, no pun intended) and I dont see anyone crying on the curb over its price. People just kinda shrugged their shoulders and kept walking, and the TRex is even more performance oriented.

They price this at 30 and its done. If after a successful start, maybe limited edition runs in very limited numbers can bring in 30, but there arent enough fanatics out there with the coin.

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Regardless of market politics, the best motor for the SS would be the LNF. Fast enough stock for 80% of its buyers and for the rest of the 20% it doesnt take much to take it to your own personal extreme.

Reactions: DKF Texas
1 - 9 of 9 Posts