Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Today's used oil is better than new oil from a few years ago. Obsessing over oil is like obsessing over paint color.
Use the cheapest synthetic or pay $20 a quart. Whatever makes you feel good.
It is a moot point.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always done what you say with my cars but never with my motorcycles or autotrike and I have no good reason why.:)

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Oil choice can be as partisan as politics. For oil info, I prefer this website - 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths. The author appears to be uniquely qualified and actually evaluates the oils he ranks with an understandable rating system. I also like that he tests the oil performance at a realistic 230F operating temperature and also assesses the oil's performance at a significantly higher 275F to get a realistic assessment of the oils performance under extreme conditions.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Oil choice can be as partisan as politics. For oil info, I prefer this website - 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths. The author appears to be uniquely qualified and actually evaluates the oils he ranks with an understandable rating system. I also like that he tests the oil performance at a realistic 230F operating temperature and also assesses the oil's performance at a significantly higher 275F to get a realistic assessment of the oils performance under extreme conditions.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My two trucks get Walmart oil, the only upgrade they got over the years have been is semi-synthetic and now full synthetic. One has 200,000 miles, the other 100,000. Never an engine problem. But then again, I don't buy Blue Buffalo dog food for my St Bernard and two Bernese Mountain Dogs. The 300+ lbs of dogs get Costco. They never complain.

The only reason my motorcycles and Sling get better oil is because they are more like my children than my dogs or trucks. I get the best whether they need it or not even though I know it's a a waste of money but I like to spoil them.

What I always have done is change the oil regularly. In the old days every 3000 miles, now not so often. Always believed fresh oil is the key engine longevity.

I do the same with tires. For me new cheap ones ( Walmart) are better than expensive worn ones. I rather be able to afford new tires more often.

Been doing these things my whole life and I'm to old to change no matter what any of the oil geeks say.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Any 5w-30 Dexos 1, Gen2 (a GM spec) is what I use every 5K as specified. . I've used Pennzoil, Quaker State, Super Tech. Next one will be Castrol Magnatec. I buy whats on sale at Walmart that meets the spec.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree with Ulflyer,
Lots of very good oils now days that arent highly marked up.
I have always been a 40 weight Shell Rotella semi/full synthetic oil user in my MCs.
Lately, been using Shell Rotella 5w-30 full synthetic "gas/truck" oil in all my cars/toys that ask for 5w-30.

Webby
Screenshot_20200207-115027_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a Gold Wing trike, so was on 2 or 3 Wing forums. Rotella had a large following on all of those forums. I think more owners used it than the oil from Mother Honda.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use Deep Purple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts