Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
elio.gif

Get your vaporware here!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have one on order for the last 2 years. Don't HATE! But it's not competition. If they can get Elio produced, they will invade inner cities and revolutionize the "commute" in urban areas. Slingshot, not so much. It is an awesome niche toy for slightly off kilter people who yearn to be different and love the unique. Like me.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well good luck .The business plan isn't really realistic . But if anyone gets on it will be you .

Reactions: luckyone

·
Registered
776 Posts
Honestly if they had doubled the expected price of the vehicle I think they could have secured the funding they needed.
I don't see how they can build it and sell it for $6800 . I also think it would have been wise for them to go with an engine that was already in production. Development of a new engine must be eating up a lot of their start up money and time. And if the new motor has issues after it hits the road, it could sink the company.

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
I don't see how they can build it and sell it for $6800 . I also think it would have been wise for them to go with an engine that was already in production. Development of a new engine must be eating up a lot of their start up money and time. And if the new motor has issues after it hits the road, it could sink the company.
You're right. It's a good idea. It's obviously doable. Investors aren't stupid. The advertised price point is the biggest barrier that company is facing. There's no meat left on the bone at that 6800 bucks. They aren't going to be able to make a profit. Even a slim profit isn't going to entice potential investors. Now they are in deep doo doo because they most likely know that the price will need to at least double. The back lash from the public would be catastrophic.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You're right. It's a good idea. It's obviously doable. Investors aren't stupid. The advertised price point is the biggest barrier that company is facing. There's no meat left on the bone at that 6800 bucks. They aren't going to be able to make a profit. Even a slim profit isn't going to entice potential investors. Now they are in deep doo doo because they most likely know that the price will need to at least double. The back lash from the public would be catastrophic.
All valid points, but if they could make it work at double the price, that would say a lot about the price of the SS :)

And hey, I'm buy'n one so don't everybody jump on me for questioning the SS price, I'm just think'n out loud...

·
Registered
619 Posts
I harbor a suspicion that EZ is behind Elio Motors. He is pumping money into large storage containers in the islands. He is Mike MTL's Bernie Madoff.

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
All valid points, but if they could make it work at double the price, that would say a lot about the price of the SS :)

And hey, I'm buy'n one so don't everybody jump on me for questioning the SS price, I'm just think'n out loud...
You're right it does say a lot about the ss price. Let's say the elio is viable at ~12k. Provided they have perfectly dialed in manufacturing and are able to source parts at a great discount. I really and truly believe the company would succeed. Now add 8 k to that and you can buy a base model ss. You're looking at an aggressive performance oriented machine. Bigger engine, performance suspension, etc. The ss still comes out looking like a bargain. Especially when you throw in the side by side seating. The closest analogy you are going to find is comparing the price of an economy sedan to say a camero or challenger. You're always going to pay more for performance. Fun tax :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
You're right it does say a lot about the ss price. Let's say the elio is viable at ~12k. Provided they have perfectly dialed in manufacturing and are able to source parts at a great discount. I really and truly believe the company would succeed. Now add 8 k to that and you can buy a base model ss. You're looking at an aggressive performance oriented machine. Bigger engine, performance suspension, etc. The ss still comes out looking like a bargain. Especially when you throw in the side by side seating. The closest analogy you are going to find is comparing the price of an economy sedan to say a camero or challenger. You're always going to pay more for performance. Fun tax :)
Apples and oranges.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yep, fun tax would be the only way to justify the price (and I'm willing to pay :)
The big SS engine was a cost savings (no development costs, leveraging low cost produced hardware, etc) not a cost adder. Putting seats SxS doesn't cost a dime more than tandem seats. I don't see the SS being any more expensive to produce than a base SxS ATV (and possibly less) and they can be had for about 1/2 the price of an SL.

And Damn!, I want my SS SO bad!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All we really need to be happy is something to look forward to...

Live in the moment .The now is all you have .

·
Registered
619 Posts
True, the Elio is a much more costly thing to produce than the SS. So your point is?
They are totally different machines for totally different purposes.
SS= performance, open air, side by side seating, cycle like experience, "asphalt surfing" to use Polaris's now cliché.
Elio= high economy, lowest possible entry price, enclosed, city vehicle, commuter, short trip, pure function vehicle.
Apples and Oranges to the max.
Cessna 150 vs CJ1 525.
Subaru Outback vs. Lambo Huracan.
The only commonality between the SS and the Elio is they are both on wheels.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah, I know. God must be LHAO at me for wasting time on this forum :)
This forum is a worse time waster than Candy Crush and just about as addictive. But now and again there are terrific pearls for the SS aficionado or soon to be buyer. I love it much to my wife's dismay and lack of understanding.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
They are totally different machines for totally different purposes.
SS= performance, open air, side by side seating, cycle like experience, "asphalt surfing" to use Polaris's now cliché.
Elio= high economy, lowest possible entry price, enclosed, city vehicle, commuter, short trip, pure function vehicle.
Apples and Oranges to the max.
Cessna 150 vs CJ1 525.
Subaru Outback vs. Lambo Huracan.
The only commonality between the SS and the Elio is they are both on wheels.
Your comparisons are invalid. The subject was a comparison of Cost to Manufacture. Do you have anything to say about that?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't have the actual real world manufacturing numbers? Where can I see them?
Have you seen them or are you just speculating what they might be?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't have the actual real world manufacturing numbers? Where can I see them?
Have you seen them or are you just speculating what they might be?
I can infer them from products of similar complexity and quality. I used SxS ATVs as one example.

1 - 21 of 67 Posts