Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 2016 Base that I got August 18th is gone. Totalled. I'm fine but very VERY sore. No broken bones but I have lots of BIG bruises across my right shoulder and left ribs from the seat belt. Left knee is cut up and my left foot is really swollen (Both probably from hitting into the underside of the cockpit). But other than soreness, I'm fine and walked (limped) away.

4 lanes (2 lanes each way). I was heading southbound in the outside lane at about 60 mph. Late model Mustang heading northbound turned directly in front of me. Literally I was only 30 ft away when I first saw him. Slammed on the brakes and turned left, but the right front of the SS hit right at the front passenger side of the Mustang. Completely took out his entire side and peeled back the metal like a tin can. No pics of the Mustang - medics took me away as soon as the got me out of the drivers seat. I didn't get out because I was sure my right shoulder clavical was broken (it wasn't but it still hurts. Allot.)

Slingshot frame is complete crushed in on the passengers side but passenger would have been no worse than I am. Frame held up well. Engine is pushed down and to the passengers side. Probably most telling is the photo with the header. Take a look at the O2 sensor - that frame bracket is supposed to be about a full foot forward.

Only thing I would say is get rid of any cheap aftermarket steering wheel. I crushed that thing like a candy wrapper.

Some of these pics are mess. I didn't get pics at the scene and they were picking up pieces of plastic with a shovel and just throwing it into the cockpit. The hood was broken off and was 50 ft down the road.

BTW, went to the dealer and they now have SS in stock - including a new base they just unloaded from the truck . . . . .

20151208_141355.jpg
20151208_141402.jpg
20151208_141414.jpg
20151208_141442.jpg
20151208_141446.jpg
20151208_141501.jpg
20151208_141502.jpg
20151208_141513.jpg

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Thanks for sharing so soon after such a traumatic event. Heal quickly & get back up on the horse...

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
The air filter wil breathe better like that.
Seriously...glad you are ok.

·
Hold my beer and watch this!
1,314 Posts
Glad to hear you are in one piece! Hope you heel quickly and can get right back in to a Slingshot.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wreck, but very happy to see you are not severely injured.

Personally, I wouldn't be too worried or upset that the cheap wheel bent under traumatic impact. When something like that bends, it is absorbing some of the force that may have went to your chest and/or head.

Keep your head up and get better soon!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Sorry to hear the tough news, heal quickly and get back in the wind. Informative comment about the steering wheel. Was the Mustang driver cited? Did he have insurance?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow that's terrible, glad you're ok.

It's unfortunate when something like this happens and it's not your fault.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Glad you're okay after seeing pictures of several different accidents it appears these slingshots hold up fairly well

·
Welcome to the Grey Bar Bed and Breakfast.
650 Posts
I'm glad you survived and are around to tell us about it. Rest up and get healed up soon.

·
I have moved on!
2,900 Posts
Wow that was some hit. Your SS looks like it held up pretty well considering how hard a hit it took.
Very happy to hear you are not seriously hurt.
Remember this is like riding a horse, if you fall off the most important thing is to get right back on. Pick up that new base and get back in the saddle as soon as you feel up to it.
Oh and buy a lotto ticket! other than the accident looks like lady luck was on your side.

·
W.H.O.R.E. (We Haul Our Ride Everywhere)
1,601 Posts
Glad your OK could have been a lot worse. As far as the steering wheel collapsing I had the same thing happen to me in a head on collision with a factory (pre-airbag) RX7 steering wheel. My forehead broke the windshield which means if the wheel wouldn't have hit the dash it would surely have, at the very least, broken some ribs. The RX7 was totaled and I walked away with 8 stitches above my eyebrow and a helluva headache, the wheel did it's job !
Here is to wishing you a speedy recovery and I hope your back in the saddle soon !

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Well done on the evasive manuevers - would have sucked if you hit him head on - a "glancing blow" is a little better anyway (glass half full I guess).

I'll drink tonight to a speedy recovery for you! :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts