Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Here is what I know to date.
Texas has reached some kind of agreement to allow Polaris to ship Slingshots to Texas, but can't sell them until notified by Texas. Dealers are taking delivery, but can't demo them on Texas public roads.I know Texas Polaris dealers will be VERY UNHAPPY if they end up paying lots of interest to Polaris for inventory they can't sell, so hopefully Texas and Polaris will get things finalized quickly.
Now I speculate. From my pint of view (IANAL) Texas is in a weak legal spot in denying sales/registration of the Slingshot as a motorcycle since similar vehicles (T-Rex, its clones, the AeroTrike and the Morgan) have already been registered as motorcycles under Texas law. Hopefully, someone has told the Texas DMV to start allowing sales and registration soon, possibly as soon as a special exemption can be passed by the Texas legislature, which would mean mid-to-late January 2015. I just hope whatever legal solution is worked out that we don't have the usual wait until until July 1 for implementation of any new law.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Here's an update with some info I posted yesterday in another thread.

Found this on the Owner's forum and thought it should be linked here as it helps explain what is going on here in Texas. At least one Legislator has already introduced legislation to change the wording of the motorcycle saddle requirement to include a seat.
Maybe there is some HOPE after all that we won't be having to wait until mid-2015.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
While reading an article on the racial motives behind Texas' ban on open-carry, I came across a point of Texas law that may explain why Polaris feels confident about something getting done. Texas legislators have the ability to pre-file proposed legislation while the Legislature is not in session. It appears that State Rep Larry Gonzales has pre-filed House Bill 439 which defines a motorcycle as " a motor vehicle, other than tractor, that is: (A) equipped with a rider’s saddle or a seat for the use of: a rider; and a passenger, if the motor vehicle is designed or used primarily to transport a passenger (B) designed to have when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground."
Unfortunately, just because we know we have several Legislators who are putting pressure on the DMV to allow registration of the Slingshot and have also introduced legislation to define the Slingshot as a motorcycle, we have no guarantee that the bureaucrats in the DMV will not continue to dig-in their heels until forced to acquiesce due to a formal change in the law. Because of this, it could still be a while before we can purchase a Slingshot and register it in Texas.

Off-Topic, but for those interested in why Texas would have banned open-carry of handguns, here is some background. Most non-Texans would be surprised to learn that Texas banned the open-carry of handguns shortly after the Civil War, not allowing concealed carry until 1995, while still banning the open-carry of a handgun. Open-carry of shotguns or rifles has always been allowed. Although the Texas Constitution originally guaranteed the right to carry a gun, in 1866 Texas banned bringing guns onto a plantation w/o the owner's permission, effectively banning gun ownership by sharecroppers. In 1871, carrying a pistol outside of your home was banned primarily as a means of countering disgruntled former Confederates, but it had a loophole for "travel" or if the gun owner lived in a frontier area subject to Indian attacks. Eventually, gun control laws came to be selectively enforced against minorities or any one or group not favored by the Establishment. Texas is expected to allow open-carry of handguns next year. Hopefully, we will also be able to buy and register Slingshots then, too. Sooner, rather than later.:) Source of open-carry history is an article in the Houston Chronicle.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
All of us waiting on Slingshots here in Texas should contact our dealers to see if the DMV has done anything to allow registrations, even if only for Dealer plates.

·
Registered
33 Posts
All of us waiting on Slingshots here in Texas should contact our dealers to see if the DMV has done anything to allow registrations, even if only for Dealer plates.
I talked to Woods Fun Center in Austin today. I think I was talking to Chad and he said he heard something about Polaris going to court in March so I'm not for sure what's going on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts