Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of 07/01/16, TN reclassified the SS from a motorcycle to an autocar. That means no helmet required and no mc endorsement required. You can now let your hair blow in the wind using your automobile driver license.

·
15 Seconds Of Fame Anywhere You Go
583 Posts
We have autocycle classification in NJ as of late June, but no where does it say no helmet required. I guess it is just try it and see if you get a ticket then go to court and let the judge decide. Lol

·
583 Posts
Yes for motorcycles. I was hoping with the Autocycle classification we would no longer need helmets

·
Registered
521 Posts
Pa is a no helmet state if you have your license more than two years. In Pa there classified as Autocycle. You must wear seat belts at all times. (If they catch you)

·
583 Posts
I guess NJ is beat because it doesn't say anything about no helmet required but, at the same time it doesn't say that under the new classification that it is required. I guess I'll have to use it in my defense if I get a ticket that it doesn't say that it is required. Lol

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would just call your DOT and ask. Better than getting a ticket and loose and double your insurance.

·
583 Posts
I'll call them Monday but my insurance won't go up for a ticket that is for not wearing a helmet.l just really want to feel the wind through my bald spot lmao

·
583 Posts
Thanks I'll call on Monday before I try that stunt. I'll post on how it went for me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for posting Buch. We like to ride the Trace between Paducah, Ky. and Dover, Tn. Use to ride in on our Harleys. Now we have the SS we want to ride it again soon. Nice to know we can ride it w/o a helmet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you would like a copy of the new bill, search for Tennessee SB2229. This senate bills describes the changes that went into affect July 1st. No motorcycle license, no helmet, no children that are required to be in a car seat. I printed a copy and keep it in my glove box just in case.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you would like a copy of the new bill, search for Tennessee SB2229. This senate bills describes the changes that went into affect July 1st. No motorcycle license, no helmet, no children that are required to be in a car seat. I printed a copy and keep it in my glove box just in case.
What if your Sling Shot is already registered as a motorcycle with motorcycle plates? Do you have to re-register and get new plates? Does anyone know if this will impact insurance rates?

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
83 Posts

This is Tn. law as of July 8, 2020. We were crossing the dragon-tail S to N and pulled into the Look-out and removed our helmets because it was so hot. We pulled out and went about 100 yds. and were noticed by an on-coming county LEO. He was really cool. He said he disagreed with he law but had to stop us. HE said the vehicle would have to be fully enclosed. I asked if I had a roof and he said, it has to be enclosed such that you could go through a car-wash without getting wet.
Luckily we had helmets right behind the seats, albeit novelty types. He saw us put them on and didn't care.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts