Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to find a tach signal for a shift light or a new tach. I have seen the adapters that they have out there for some vehicles and maybe that is an option but I hope there’s a simple connection somewhere.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Green : RPM Tap

In order to read RPM, we must tap a signal wire from a coil. We can tap it at the coil, or at the ECU. I prefer the ECU because less wire length means less signal noise and it make the job look better. In order to tap the wire, you will need to unplug the J2 connector from the ECU (the center one), and remove the cover. Be careful its very fragile. Then you will need to cut a good portion of the tape holding the wires together and the tie-wrap using an exacto. BE VERY CAREFUL TO NOT CUT ANY WIRES DOING THIS. Its best to use a new blade that is very sharp so that you don't have to push hard on the blade and cut something else. Take your time.

The wire we are looking for is PIN1, its the white wire with a brown line on it:

To tap the wire, you have 2 options:

1)You can strip some part of the wire off, then roll the Green wire around the exposed wire and solder the wires together, then tape it up so that its sealed
2)Use a wire tap (wire tap - Google Search)

Both options will work, I personally used a wire tap with a plug so that it's easier to remove if I need to replace the gauge in the future:

Once you have tapped the wire, use friction tape to bundle the wires back together (don't forget the thin tie-wrap), replace the cover and reconnect the plug to the ECU:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! If we were going to tap a coil which would we need to tap into.
Does the year of the vehicle matter? Mine is 2019 s model
Thank you very much for your help!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It did not work. When the factory tach was up to 3,000 the new tach was only up to 1,000. I also tried a shift light I have and same thing. Bummer

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
It did not work. When the factory tach was up to 3,000 the new tach was only up to 1,000. I also tried a shift light I have and same thing. Bummer
I'd check with the manufacturer of your Tach/Shift light. There may be a switch or setting to tell it if you've got a 4, 6 or 8-cylinder vehicle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Tach is a Sun Pro Supertach 3 and switch is set on 4 cylinder.I also tried the other settings and there was no difference. The other Tach I tried is an adjustable shift light brand new right out of the box. If there’s multiple people out there using that wire I guess I’ll order a new super tach and hope it works. Thanks very much for the input! Let’s see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts