Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have been looking around for suggestion for brakes that seem to be sub par.

I feel the braking distance is long and the brake feel is numb and spongy. I have been told the following can help:

1. Recalls/Brake Flush
I do not believe the recalls on my slingshot are done, but I am not looking to do any of them until november/december (right now I am enjoying it too much). It seems like a brake flush seems to help it. Any feedback on this?

2. Brake Master Cylinder Support
I have ordered one of these Support Cylinders. I am having a hard time understanding if it helps with the brake feel, or it it also helps with the braking distance. Any feedback from anybody who has it? Before and afters?

Any other suggestions besides this? I am not looking to spend for a big brake kit. However, any feedback on any other mods would be appreciated.

FAS

·
Registered
72 Posts
Change out the brake pads. This is your best bang for your buck. About anything does better than stock. But this is a battle of stopping power that leaves brake dust vs less dusting pads with a little less stopping power. It seems like most are happy with the cheapest ceramic pads you can get because of low dust. I run hawk street race. They have incredible stopping power. They do dust. But it’s black. It doesn’t even show on my black slr wheels. But absolutely do the recalls. A lot of people felt more confident after the flush. And everyone likes the confidence added by the brace.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, Brake Pads.

So you felt the Hawk street race pads gave you a better stopping power vs stock?

I agree with you. I would prefer dust and better braking also. I see a set of Hawks cost about $225 all around. Does that sound about right? Sounds a little on the higher side. But good to know.

Thank you for the advice !

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
If you want to try some less expensive pads first, search the forum for Honda brake pads which are supposed to fit once a tab is removed.
IIRC, the brake fluid should be changed every 30K miles or. I had mine done around 40K and as part of the process, the dealer is supposed to use the Polaris software to actuate the ABS pump to get as much air out of the system as possible. Another trick that might help is to make 5-10 panic stops on grass. This should trigger the ABS system and may help get air out, too.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The cyl brace didn't do a thing for my 16.5, but when Polaris figured out the software fix, mine were fine from then on. Sponginess gone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ah, Brake Pads.

So you felt the Hawk street race pads gave you a better stopping power vs stock?

I agree with you. I would prefer dust and better braking also. I see a set of Hawks cost about $225 all around. Does that sound about right? Sounds a little on the higher side. But good to know.

Thank you for the advice !
$225 is way high. The part number is HB275R.620. Amazon pricing for 2 wheels is here.
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Hawk Performance (HB275R.620) High Performance Street Race Brake Pad
I didn't change the rear. Over 80% of your braking is done on the front. Dynamic forces put most of the force of all vehicles on the front axle when braking. Feeling the nose dive as the front springs compress is a reaction of the dynamic forces acting on the front of the car. The front brakes disperse the majority of the kinetic energy as heat because they have more normal (downward) force as the car stops. That's why your rotors and brakes wear out faster on the front than on the rear. Should end up costing you about $85 for the front axle from Amazon and about $40 for the rear if you can find somone to split a set with (if you even choose to do the rear). Or keep the other half set for when you need to replace them. These are direct fit. And all 3 wheels use the same pads. As others have stated the front pads for a 2006 Honda Civic DX will also work. I found a set of ceramic pads for $37 at Oreilly's for the 2006 Honda. And another member here swears by these.
Amazon.com: Prime Choice Auto Parts SCD465A-537 8 Ceramic Disk Brake Pads: Automotive They are about $45 for a set of 8 pads.
I was planning on doing a front axle big brake kit but thought I'd try some aggressive pads before I doled out the cash. The pads I chose weren't cheap. But I knew they had a reputation for being very aggressive. I guess I'm glad I spent a little more on the pads. It kept me from spending $1450 for a Wilwood front big brake kit.
ASE Polaris Slingshot Big Brake Kit 6 Piston Wilwood Slotted Rotors
But to each his own. Many hate the Street Race Pads because they initially bite hard and dust. Heres a guide to all of Hawks compounds
Street Performance Compound Application
The street race pads for the slingshot are HB275R.620 the R corresponding to code R on the chart, N to HP+ etc. All the Hawk part numbers will be HB275 .620.
There are also some very aggressive race compound pads that may not even do as well unless your on a track.
Race Compound Application
Note the low number on the optimal temperature range. They are made to be driven with a warm to hot temperature - constantly. Basically brake to gas pedal type driving (ie race track) all the time. Probably not going to be the best cold. Have fun shopping and experimenting. Hope this helps

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,161 Posts
The compound of pad choice is also effected by the metal in the rotor, aggressive pads can wear out mild steel rotors, cause heat and warp issues. They offer replacement rotors that are thicker and better grade of steel to help with the aggressive pads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts