Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey peeps

Need a suggestion for an Audio Receiver to replace my Clarion CMS5.

I had one installed, almost on week 1, after getting my 2017 SLR, but it's not working out for me.

The reason I replaced my stock one, is because it primarily did not have XM radio, and could only support one camera (I wanted to have both front and back installed).

Now, I feel like I just threw my money down the drain.

While I have my XM, and two cameras working on a rocker-switch, the sound I get off the system is horrible, and even worse, the Clarion uses up a lot of power (battery drain issues - I had a couple techs look into it). Also, it's too cumbersome to operate, and takes forever to power-up.

The audio is barely audible in speeds above 50mph (and I've tried various sound settings, to no avail). I have an SLR, and was contemplating upgrading the speakers to something else, but after hearing the sound off another buddy with an SLR and the stock receiver, I'm of the opinion that my speakers do not need to be replaced - the issue is the receiver.

NOTE - I'm not an audiophile - I don't have high demands on quality of sound. I mostly listen to podcasts and NPR, but when I do listen to music, my only demand is that I actually hear the words - not some garbled-up mess of beats mixed up with unintelligible words. Some clean sound is all I want. Don't care for bass.

Now we have RideCommand, in the 2018 models coming up...but, as far as I can tell, it won't fit into the housing of the older models (I'm I wrong in this)? I do like the fact that it's touchscreen (and supposedly weatherproof), shows vehicle stats, and also built-in navigation - I kinda get tired of having to pull out my GPS unit.

Couple questions.

1. If I'm willing to forego the front camera and XM, does anyone know for sure if the RideCommand can be put into the 2017 SLR? I know Polaris won't support that (same way they claim that their overpriced Security System only works on 2017 models **eyes rolling**), but what's the real answer on that? From looking at the pictures, even though they pushed the Start button and others down the pillar, they could still have been left in their original positions, no? I don't intend to move my buttons - so I would need the main unit to just fit into the current housing as-is (or with a mounting plate).

2. What other model(s) of receiver do you recommend? It has to be waterproof, and if it's not RideCommand, I still want at least the XM receiver to work on it (I'm flexible on the two cameras option).

Thanks

K

·
Registered
209 Posts
What about adding an AMP after Clarion? That sounds like the cheapest option. The stock clarion is only 18watts without an amp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, Ride Command Audio does fit on the SLR 2017 model. I have a 2016 1/2 White Slingshot and I would love to replace my Audio Unit with the Ride Command, but it's not a fit. I would have to do some modifications to install Ride Command. Keep the Sling looking nice, but stock that's my goal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Polaris store site says it does not fit the 2017 SLR in fact it doesn't fit anything prior to the 2018 model
I don't put too much stock in what the Polaris website says. They said as much for something as universal as the Alarm System (how the heck would an alarm system not "fit" into an older model), and they said so too about their garage door opener (it just slides into the space above the stock receiver - same size for all SS models 2017 and prior).

The fit of the RideCommand is arguable though - I can at least see some stark differences in the vertical dimensions of the overall unit - but I need someone to confirm whether the bottom part (covering where the Push button normally is, for the 2017 and prior models), is removable - which would make it fit the older models (I think).

A mounting plate may still be needed though.

This is all just a guess on my part - curious if anyone with intimate knowledge of it, knows the fitment constraints.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Go to the Polaris website store bring up audio options click on command option and put your year in the drop down along with the model

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I believe what Polaris says about it won't fit not that you couldn't jerry-rigged it some way. Wonder if the wiring harness is involved. Why are people so interested in this command radio when they hated the stock radio that came with the original as sl? Why do they think that Polaris really came up with a much better radio system? People have complained about reception and general functionality on the current system so I won't be convinced that the new system is going to be much better

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Thanks - will look into that. I think the Clarion uses already too much power though - not sure I want to give it more juice and I'm already not happy with it for other reasons as well.
You have different issues here.

Your best option is to get with a better audio place or guy and have them re-look at your system. You power drain issues isn't because the "head unit" is using too much power. There is a wiring issue. Maybe with the cameras and rockers.... just a blind guess. Also, adding an amp will not "drain" more power from your battery. The amp is only on when the vehicle has keyed power. You really need to add an amp to get better sound and volume. That stock deck is very underpowered.

Find a GOOD audio person/shop and spend $500 more and it will be way better.

The only thing you cant fix is how slow the Clarion is. But who knows if the Polaris option is any faster...

Reactions: kagai

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe what Polaris says about it won't fit not that you couldn't jerry-rigged it some way. Wonder if the wiring harness is involved. Why are people so interested in this command radio when they hated the stock radio that came with the original as sl? Why do they think that Polaris really came up with a much better radio system? People have complained about reception and general functionality on the current system so I won't be convinced that the new system is going to be much better
For me personally, the selling point is the built-in navigation, added monitoring info for the vehicle, including tire pressure and it's touchscreen too. I use GPS navigation a lot - and it's a hassle having to pull out and plug in my GPS unit, and then stow it away, every darn time. Sounds so old school. There's something to be said about built-in navigation (and a decent one at that), in a stock media console.

The SS is more of a car than a Motorbike - it should have some of the same conveniences we've come to expect on cars, IMO.

I just like my small conveniences :)

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
If you really want it, a decent audio shop will be able to make it fit. You just have to make sure there isn't a weird harness that will not work with 2017 and older models.

Which could be the case, as they have adding vehicle monitoring and navigation....

Reactions: kagai

·
Registered
84 Posts
Everyone keeps saying to get an amp to up the sound quality. I have an amp but the factory unit does have RC cables in to wire the amp. How do you hook up the amp to the stock head unit?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Dude, for $3100 (cost of Ride command PLUS the Navigation module) PLUS whatever install costs.... you could get a very nice Double Din system that looks stock, has integrated navigation, and all new speakers, pods, amps, etc... Ride Command is a JOKE!!!! Dont be a sucker!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dude, for $3100 (cost of Ride command PLUS the Navigation module) PLUS whatever install costs.... you could get a very nice Double Din system that looks stock, has integrated navigation, and all new speakers, pods, amps, etc... Ride Command is a JOKE!!!! Dont be a sucker!
Usually the price is bundled to include Speakers and Camera, but with the part#, you can buy only the piece(s) you want.

That being said, I'm open to suggestions for systems that have at least the same features (I don't care for new speakers, unless I absolutely must upgrade them).

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am happy with a Steelie phone mount for my phone navigation, unlike the fixed unit you can move it to adjust for sunlight, and bluetooth when on the freeway. I would never buy a Polaris anything ever again. Thank God for Alpha, Madstad, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
JerriErc, you are right! I check on Polaris Slingshot web sight and they do not fit on a 2017 SLR. It doesn't make sense, since the 2018 SLR Orange Madness looks the same as the 2017. Probably the front figment is a little different. I will wait and see how much of a difference it is, then I will do my modification. Thanks

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Usually the price is bundled to include Speakers and Camera, but with the part#, you can buy only the piece(s) you want.

That being said, I'm open to suggestions for systems that have at least the same features (I don't care for new speakers, unless I absolutely must upgrade them).
Based on what I have seen, the cost does not include speakers. I would highly recommend replacing the speakers and pods that you have. They are both garbage.
JerriErc, you are right! I check on Polaris Slingshot web sight and they do not fit on a 2017 SLR. It doesn't make sense, since the 2018 SLR Orange Madness looks the same as the 2017. Probably the front figment is a little different. I will wait and see how much of a difference it is, then I will do my modification. Thanks
The RIDECOMMAND unit wont fit anything other than 2018 models because of its size. In the 2018s, they relocated all the dash switches to be lower, by where the TC switch is for all older models. Meaning, if you want to put the RIDECOMMAND in your older sling (why anyone would do that is beyond me) You would have to cut a much larger hole into your dash and move all your switches. $1000 sound system and the phone you likely already have is a MUCH better setup than this Polaris garbage. I am so disappointed that they chose to focus on that as their big release for this year. Probably cost them all of $500 to make, 75% markup for a subpar product.... no thanks!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts